1/3 of the way through

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

1/3 of the way through

Post by Ecbucs »

3317030B0E620 wrote: Given all the adversity this team has had to deal with thus far I think they're actually overachievers to this point. Losing Kang, Marte, Taillon, Freese, Frazier for significant periods of time has hurt.

Even completely healthy this team has some significant flaws in the areas of defense and base running that will prevent them from ever becoming a championship quality team.

However IF:

1. Cutch regains some semblance of his former MVP self

2. Taillon returns to the rotation and picks up right where he left off

3. Marte returns to the lineup and plays as he has in the past

4. Glasnow and Kuhl mature and develop into decent starters as the season plays out.

5. Bell continues to develop into a legit middle of the order bat

6. Everyone else stays healthy and performs at their current level

THEN the Pirates might reach .500 and maybe even be contenders for a Wildcard spot.

Nice list, the team certainly could get back in contention and it has lucked out without nobody running away with central this year. However, at this stage of season most teams could have a similar list.
massbucsfan

1/3 of the way through

Post by massbucsfan »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?
Sure they would but nearly not as much as you think they would
massbucsfan

1/3 of the way through

Post by massbucsfan »

6E6270706176607065626D030 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?
This team is very flawed and neither of them would be enough to overcome that in my opinion
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1/3 of the way through

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

202C3E3E2F382E3E2B2C234D0 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?

I don't know the best way to calculate, but I do know that Freese, Jaso, Gosselin, Gift, Hanson, Ortiz, Frazier, Bostick, and Osuna have 591 at bats with 126 hits batting .213.

I would assume that Kang and Marte would take a huge chunk of those at bats and not bat a combined .213.  Marte would make a huge difference in the outfield too, right? 

So, Yes, I do think it is a huge difference in talent losing those two.  They are two of the best at their position in baseball.
SammyKhalifa

1/3 of the way through

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4A46545445524454414649270 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?
This team is very flawed and neither of them would be enough to overcome that in my opinion

All teams have flaws, perhaps this one more than most, but take the two middle-of-the-lineup hitters out of the team and ANY team would show those flaws more.

Now that aside, things happen but we haven't exactly done much to try to repair the problems after they happened.
massbucsfan

1/3 of the way through

Post by massbucsfan »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote: So, you think Kang and Marte playing would have made no impact?

I don't know the best way to calculate, but I do know that Freese, Jaso, Gosselin, Gift, Hanson, Ortiz, Frazier, Bostick, and Osuna have 591 at bats with 126 hits batting .213.

I would assume that Kang and Marte would take a huge chunk of those at bats and not bat a combined .213.  Marte would make a huge difference in the outfield too, right? 

So, Yes, I do think it is a huge difference in talent losing those two.  They are two of the best at their position in baseball.
Well we will just disagree then,for me it's time for Neal to sell ,sell ,sell at the deadline including Cole
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1/3 of the way through

I don't get how people don't think losing those two wasn't a huge impact. Especially, with the team's current record. They have to be the two best overall hitters on the team.

That is why I don't want them to trade everyone. But if Cole gets traded, its a fire sale for sure. It will be years until they compete again.
massbucsfan

1/3 of the way through

Post by massbucsfan »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: I don't get how people don't think losing those two wasn't a huge impact.  Especially, with the team's current record.  They have to be the two best overall hitters on the team.

That is why I don't want them to trade everyone.  But if Cole gets traded, its a fire sale for sure.  It will be years until they compete again.
Hey don't forget Marte took the peds and kang drank himself out of job that's their fault so just like injuries you have to deal with that and Neal has done nothing to replace either one that's on them I don't feel sorry for them
dogknot17@yahoo.co

1/3 of the way through

I agree they did it to themselves. But that doesn't mean their absence wasn't a huge impact.

I wanted an improvement big time for Kang. I was under the impression the Pirates should have known more than us (fans) about how much time he would miss. Gosselin has failed so far. Freese is in a different role.

Marte was harder to replace. Who was out there in April to trade for or on the scrap heap? Took a chance on who they already had and they failed.

With that said, only a few games under .500 and a few games back form first place. Maybe they can hang on until Marte gets back? I just don't know.

I do think many players are underachieving. But if you think players are at their norm, I understand why you would want to trade everyone. But if the players are this bad, the returns won't be very good. Only Cole would bring back a huge return in my opinion (assuming Taillon is staying).
massbucsfan

1/3 of the way through

Post by massbucsfan »

4C474F4346475C191F685149404747064B47280 wrote: I agree they did it to themselves.  But that doesn't mean their absence wasn't a huge impact.

I wanted an improvement big time for Kang.  I was under the impression the Pirates should have known more than us (fans) about how much time he would miss.  Gosselin has failed so far.  Freese is in a different role.

Marte was harder to replace.  Who was out there in April to trade for or on the scrap heap?  Took a chance on who they already had and they failed.

With that said, only a few games under .500 and a few games back form first place.  Maybe they can hang on until Marte gets back?  I just don't know. 

I do think many players are underachieving.  But if you think players are at their norm, I understand why you would want to trade everyone.  But if the players are this bad, the returns won't be very good.  Only Cole would bring back a huge return in my opinion (assuming Taillon is staying). 
That's why I want them to trade Cole let's face it he isn't staying here after his contract runs out get a bundle now