Mets game June 3rd

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Mets game June 3rd

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Walker - traded for basically nothing

Pedro - released

Cutch - will anyone even pick up his contract?

Polanco - value dropping like a rock off a cliff.

Marte - who will he be "clean"?

Cole - a total enigma

Kang - a total dropout.

Glasnow - a total crapshoot now.

I can't think of a more revealing picture as to why the Pirates are struggling. "star" players walking away for nothing. Trade pieces falling away to nothing. Key core pieces failing miserably.

Should anything destroy Cole's value I don't know how the Pirates overcome the depreciation in value.
PMike

Mets game June 3rd

Post by PMike »

14040532242428470 wrote: I've hit an idea.  Let's trade Neil Walker to the Mets for a bag of used balls....

That was a horrid deal that Neal tried to sell us on.  Anyone with a good mind knew that was a bad one for us.  Then he made the deal look worse trading failed Niese back for Bastardo.

Well, once Taillon comes back thankfully one of Kuhl or Glasnow will be out of the rotation.  Neither gives his team a good chance to win.

I'm tired of this response. Granted, Niese didn't work out. However, Walker spent half of last year hurt. He wouldn't have helped the Pirates anyway. Then he was a FA and the Mets resigned him at $17.2 million for just this year. Would the Pirates have done that? The fact that he is currently a Met has nothing to do with the trade. The trade caused us to miss out on half of a season of an average Neil Walker.
rucker59@gmail.com

Mets game June 3rd

181C14233525103738560 wrote: I dunno. I thought I agreed that Glasnow didn't have anything left to gain by playing at AAA, but how long do you let this go on?

If the FO was doing ANYTHING to try and compete this season then I'd send him down. But given the Pirates approach to this season I keep him in the rotation. The Pirates need him badly in future years.
rucker59@gmail.com

Mets game June 3rd

1F0226242A4F0 wrote: I've hit an idea.  Let's trade Neil Walker to the Mets for a bag of used balls....

That was a horrid deal that Neal tried to sell us on.  Anyone with a good mind knew that was a bad one for us.  Then he made the deal look worse trading failed Niese back for Bastardo.

Well, once Taillon comes back thankfully one of Kuhl or Glasnow will be out of the rotation.  Neither gives his team a good chance to win.

I'm tired of this response.  Granted, Niese didn't work out.  However, Walker spent half of last year hurt.  He wouldn't have helped the Pirates anyway.  Then he was a FA and the Mets resigned him at $17.2 million for just this year.  Would the Pirates have done that?   The fact that he is currently a Met has nothing to do with the trade.  The trade caused us to miss out on half of a season of an average Neil Walker.

I disagree that the Pirates made a good trade (the fact he was hurt last season was not part of the trade) and think most people felt that way when the trade happened.

But my main point is illustrated in my next post - so much talent that we know the Pirates aren't resigning (such as Walker) moved out of Pittsburgh with NOTHING to show for their time in Pittsburgh. I don't know how the Pirates can field a competitive team long term (their goal) if they never turn their talent over for substantial return. My list shows the problem (not Walker).
NJBucsFan

Mets game June 3rd

Post by NJBucsFan »

5552444C4255121E67404A464E4B0944484A270 wrote: I dunno. I thought I agreed that Glasnow didn't have anything left to gain by playing at AAA, but how long do you let this go on?

If the FO was doing ANYTHING to try and compete this season then I'd send him down. But given the Pirates approach to this season I keep him in the rotation.  The Pirates need him badly in future years.

Yeah, but despite not trying to compete, they somehow are. This is not a good team, but neither was the '97 team, and they almost stumbled into the playoffs. Sure, were the division any good this year we'd be ten games back, but if you're this close to first, for whatever reason, don't you have to take it seriously?
SammyKhalifa

Mets game June 3rd

Post by SammyKhalifa »

536E636473756E333039010 wrote: I am running a bus trip from Schenectady to CitiField for the Saturday night game with the Mets. Glasnow is starting, so I am a bit worried. Weather is good. I have a few fellow Bucs fans among the 55 attendees. Let's go Bucs!
Did I just hear Bob walk give a shout out for you on the radio?
rucker59@gmail.com

Mets game June 3rd

56525A6D7B6B5E7976180 wrote: I dunno. I thought I agreed that Glasnow didn't have anything left to gain by playing at AAA, but how long do you let this go on?

If the FO was doing ANYTHING to try and compete this season then I'd send him down. But given the Pirates approach to this season I keep him in the rotation.  The Pirates need him badly in future years.

Yeah, but despite not trying to compete, they somehow are. This is not a good team, but neither was the '97 team, and they almost stumbled into the playoffs. Sure, were the division any good this year we'd be ten games back, but if you're this close to first, for whatever reason, don't you have to take it seriously?

I definitely hear you. I don't know the answer. But if the Pirates wind up staying close then the decision re Glasnow becomes huge.
Bobster21

Mets game June 3rd

Post by Bobster21 »

6C6B7D757B6C2B275E79737F7772307D71731E0 wrote: I dunno. I thought I agreed that Glasnow didn't have anything left to gain by playing at AAA, but how long do you let this go on?

I definitely hear you.  I don't know the answer.  But if the Pirates wind up staying close then the decision re Glasnow becomes huge. 

I know they're just 4 games behind but are they really competing? They don't appear competitive for a WC spot. Their only hope is that the division remains as weak as it's been and they win the division. But while they are just 4 games back they remain in last place with 4 teams they have to pass and not making a move on any of them after a third of the season. And the chances of none of those 4 teams ahead of them getting hot seems pretty remote.
Bobster21

Mets game June 3rd

Post by Bobster21 »

I think when Taillon returns I would bring up Brault (2.20 ERA) and send both Glasnow and Kuhl to Indy.
CarolinaBucco

Mets game June 3rd

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I agree. I think we should add Brault for either Glasnow or Kuhl. He's pitching well and it would be nice to add a lefty to the mix.