Bucs make trade with Nats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

665D575C70340 wrote: Guys # not too bad ...He can spend the next year in AAA .Then we see what we have . I like the trade . :-/

No harm no foul in my book.

Something in my gut tells me SROD has started to figure things out  ala Joey Bats but at a later age ..I dont care how old he is ...If we can get 3 top years i will take it ...We let him go we might be missing 25 -35 Hr per year down the line . The guy has a nice swing. ::) and if we let him settle on a starting position WOW stuff may happen  :D

But where does he fit?
I seriously doubt he will fit into the coveted financial flexibility so worshiped by this regime. At least I think that's how we fans are supposed to look at it. Hey, finish under .500? Who cares! Toronto has to pay Liriano. Whoopie!!! Everybody's happy!
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Guys # not too bad ...He can spend the next year in AAA .Then we see what we have . I like the trade . :-/

Something in my gut tells me SROD has started to figure things out  ala Joey Bats but at a later age ..I dont care how old he is ...If we can get 3 top years i will take it ...We let him go we might be missing 25 -35 Hr per year down the line . The guy has a nice swing. ::) and if we let him settle on a starting position WOW stuff may happen  :D

But where does he fit?
I seriously doubt he will fit into the coveted financial flexibility so worshiped by this regime. At least I think that's how we fans are supposed to look at it. Hey, finish under .500? Who cares! Toronto has to pay Liriano. Whoopie!!! Everybody's happy!

Good chance that Toronto will be happy too. Possibly get a starter who does better than Hutchison has done with Blue Jays along with a couple prospects.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

2B0E0D0D18330E060413610 wrote: I see it as they don't want to pay Sean Rodriguez what he is worth and what the market dictates. Therefore they trade for a cheap versatile utility player. Of course this won't help the talent level but it will provide............. The infamous financial flexibility.

I get the same feeling you do.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5A7C7D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: Guys # not too bad ...He can spend the next year in AAA .Then we see what we have . I like the trade . :-/

But where does he fit?

Good chance that Toronto will be happy too.  Possibly get a starter who does better than Hutchison has done with Blue Jays along with a couple prospects.

I'm sure Toronto considers it a win. Hutchinson is garbage. A bad Liriano might equal a decent Hutchinson. Toronto doesn't care about financial flexibility. Look at the $$$ they have shelled out the last few years. We got a lousy pitcher, but saved 13.5 million ... they got two prospects and someone better than Hutchinson.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7161605741414D220 wrote: Guys # not too bad ...He can spend the next year in AAA .Then we see what we have . I like the trade . :-/

But where does he fit?

Good chance that Toronto will be happy too.  Possibly get a starter who does better than Hutchison has done with Blue Jays along with a couple prospects.

I'm sure Toronto considers it a win.  Hutchinson is garbage.  A bad Liriano might equal a decent Hutchinson.  Toronto doesn't care about financial flexibility.  Look at the $$$ they have shelled out the last few years.  We got a lousy pitcher, but saved 13.5 million ... they got two prospects and someone better than Hutchinson.
SCBucco, you nailed it!
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

4353526573737F100 wrote: I see it as they don't want to pay Sean Rodriguez what he is worth and what the market dictates. Therefore they trade for a cheap versatile utility player. Of course this won't help the talent level but it will provide............. The infamous financial flexibility.

I get the same feeling you do.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

From the team site:

NH on Alen Hanson

"As we sit here today, his best role will be bouncing around the field, a pinch-hitter or pinch-runner threat off the bench. Defensive versatility has been a huge advantage for us. To have Alen be able to do that and bring some bat will be an interesting process."

NH on SRod

"We'd love to have Sean remain in a Pirate uniform. Given what he's done this year, we would fully anticipate that there's going to be quite a market out there for him and he's going to have a pretty good opportunity to do some good things." Which is GM-speak for I don't think we can afford him now...

http://m.pirates.mlb.com/news/article/2 ... o-pirates/

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Sounds like talks have already been made with Rodriguez. He might want to go start some where than be a back up.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

775A57464150470704350 wrote: Guys # not too bad ...He can spend the next year in AAA .Then we see what we have . I like the trade . :-/

But where does he fit?

I'm sure Toronto considers it a win.  Hutchinson is garbage.  A bad Liriano might equal a decent Hutchinson.  Toronto doesn't care about financial flexibility.  Look at the $$$ they have shelled out the last few years.  We got a lousy pitcher, but saved 13.5 million ... they got two prospects and someone better than Hutchinson.
SCBucco, you nailed it!

The one thing about it though, its hard to justify paying a #5 13.5 million or whatever he is owed next year in this time and age.  Liriano has been an enigma for a while.  He resurrected his career in Pittsburgh, but still was an enigma.  You really don't know which one you get with each start.  The one that can be masterful and strikeout 13 in seven innings, or the one that gets shelled in four.  He isn't one that I would have faith to go deep in games.

Frankie was terrible this year after his first start.  He really didn't seem to care this year in Pittsburgh.  His body language told me everything I knew.  Finding a dance partner to unload him narrowed the field.  There are only so many that would even consider the notion of taking him.

He is 8-13 with a 4.88 ERA and a 1.50 WHIP right now, which includes a 2-2 mark and a 3.35 ERA and 1.19 WHIP in Toronto.  That tells you how bad he was here.

Toronto didn't give up anything of consequence to get him ... added two prospects that could provide depth in the organization and all it did was essentially give up 13.5 million for next year.  That is no big deal to a franchise that craves a play-off spot and a division title.  If Liriano comes in and pitches like he is capable of, the trade is deemed a success. Because chances are Toronto gets to the play-offs.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Do you think Liriano gets a start in those Playoffs?
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

78737B777273682D2B5C657D747373327F731C0 wrote: Do you think Liriano gets a start in those Playoffs?

No