Cardinals vs Pirate Series Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

At this point, I'm not sure we need game threads. So let's check in on game two of the series. . .

5-1

I think we can put a fork in it.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Since my thread and BenM's thread bumped up against each other last night, I bring his thread up for tonight. Two games left. I think we can know this season is a wrap for the Pirates unless they literally go off on a 10 game win streak.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The high water marks for this season have been the 2 days the Pirates were 1 game over .500, immediately followed by losing. In order to finish over .500 with a minimum of 82 wins, they need to play .600 ball the rest of the way (24-16). The Cubs, Cards and Brewers are all over .500. So let's say they all tread water and it takes a modest 6 game over .500 to win the division. That would require an 84-78 record. They would have to go 26-14 (.650). It would be great if they could transform into what they haven't been thru the first 122 games. But not only does that seem impossible, they seem to be headed in the opposite direction, losing in a free fall.
rucker59@gmail.com

163B36272031266665540 wrote: The high water marks for this season have been the 2 days the Pirates were 1 game over .500, immediately followed by losing. In order to finish over .500 with a minimum of 82 wins, they need to play .600 ball the rest of the way (24-16). The Cubs, Cards and Brewers are all over .500. So let's say they all tread water and it takes a modest 6 game over .500 to win the division. That would require an 84-78 record. They would have to go 26-14 (.650). It would be great if they could transform into what they haven't been thru the first 122 games. But not only does that seem impossible, they seem to be headed in the opposite direction, losing in a free fall.

So you're saying there's a chance....

Ack! No, you're saying there NO chance! :o

If the Pirates win 10 straight and everyone else loses 10 straight, what does that do for our beloved second rate baseball club?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Wow. Just checked to see if they had restarted and saw them up 5-1 with a PED-free HR by Marte and another by Frazier.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Hope we don't see a repeat of the last time the Bucs were up 5-1 on the Cards
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

Osunaaaaaaa
rucker59@gmail.com

Very nice win. A lot of contribution from a lot of players.

Frazier is really impressing at the plate. I believe he will be a very good glove if he has the chance.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Yes, very nice win.

Unfortunately, after you lose 6 straight, one win doesn't do much for you. Pirates need to win about 10 straight to make up for the last week, and with the Dodgers about to hit town for 4 games, I'm not expecting much winning this week.

But at least they did win tonight to end the skid. The killers were the 2nd game in Toronto, and the back to back 4-run leads that we blew vs. MIL & STL. Need to do a lot of winning to make up for those, and I'm pretty certain this team isn't capable.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

The front end of the bullpen looked good tonight with Neverauskas and Kontos. Nicasio got popped by Dejong, who was drafted by the Bucs as a catcher in 2014. He now has 33 HR this year between AAA and St. Louis. How would you like that kind of power behind the plate? And speaking of power, Osuna's homer was a missile. Good win.