The 'What Are You Reading' Thread

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

5E78796E78681B0 wrote: I recommend anything by Donald E. Westlake. He also writes hard boiled crime fiction under name of Richard Stark.

Bill Bryson, At Home and A Short History of Nearly Everything are excellent.

I recently completed Adams by David McCullough and thought it was great biography.  Finally will read more by him.

Hey EcBucs- I'm with you on Donald Westlake and Bill Bryson. Two of my favorites. Love the humor that both bring to their writing. My wife is a big fan of David McCullough as well. Did you happen to see David McCullough's recent video concerning a possible Donald Trump presidency? Might be more appropriate in the on-going 'political' thread in this sub-forum. The man certainly has the credentials for providing a good historical perspective to our current election year.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7D594D45402C0 wrote: I recommend anything by Donald E. Westlake. He also writes hard boiled crime fiction under name of Richard Stark.

Bill Bryson, At Home and A Short History of Nearly Everything are excellent.

I recently completed Adams by David McCullough and thought it was great biography.  Finally will read more by him.

Hey EcBucs- I'm with you on Donald Westlake and Bill Bryson. Two of my favorites. Love the humor that both bring to their writing. My wife is a big fan of David McCullough as well. Did you happen to see David McCullough's recent video concerning a possible Donald Trump presidency? Might be more appropriate in the on-going 'political' thread in this sub-forum. The man certainly has the credentials for providing a good historical perspective to our current election year.

Have not seen the video but will look for it.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I'm doing a re-read of Patrick Obrian's 21-volume "Aubrey-Maturin" series about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic era. The movie "Master and Commander" was a mishmash of several of the books, and didn't do any of them justice. The main characters, Jack Aubrey (naval commander) and Stephen Maturin (ship's surgeon and spy), are very complicated - brave, funny, often inept outside of their areas of expertise. Well worth a read of the first book, Master and Commander, to see if you'd like the rest of the series.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I hear this is a good one detailing every day of the 1960 season. ;) I can honestly say it's the best book I ever wrote.

Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

I'm also reading The Devil's Chessboard, about 1/3 through and as Possum said, quite interesting and well written

A few others within the last few months

War of Two: Alexander Hamilton, Aaron Burr and the Duel that Stunned the Nation (John Sedgwick). This was decent but seemed to drag on a bit after Hamilton's death with regard to the remainder of Burr's life.

George Washington's Secret Six: The Spy Ring that Saved the American Revolution (Brian Kilmeade) - excellent book with some still unsolved pieces...