Cervelli's Attitude

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

484A505640250 wrote: Stewart appears to have (possibly) found a job. From mlbtr --

"The Braves have reached agreement with catcher Chris Stewart on a one-year deal, according to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter). It’s a non-guaranteed MLB contract, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution adds on Twitter, which could pay Stewart $575K, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter)."

I guess he is penciled in as the starting catcher in Atlanta. Why would a rebuilding team want an aging veteran?
SammyKhalifa

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by SammyKhalifa »

67657F796F0A0 wrote: Stewart appears to have (possibly) found a job. From mlbtr --

"The Braves have reached agreement with catcher Chris Stewart on a one-year deal, according to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter). It’s a non-guaranteed MLB contract, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution adds on Twitter, which could pay Stewart $575K, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter)."
wait i thought no teams but the pirates signed guys like that
mouse

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by mouse »

The Braves have two catchers on their roster. Stewart is a backup in case of injury.
dmetz

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dmetz »

Cervelli is some leader lol. I'll go home if I don't get what I want.

dmetz

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dmetz »

606B636F6A6B703533447D656C6B6B2A676B040 wrote: Stewart appears to have (possibly) found a job. From mlbtr --

I guess he is penciled in as the starting catcher in Atlanta.  Why would a rebuilding team want an aging veteran?

Such a layup question!   Stewart is signed for league min to back up Tyler Flowers and Kirt Suzuki, who will be on the 25 man.  Stewart is their Jacob Stallings.  If Suzuki or Flowers start on the DL, he's got a temporary job!   If not, he can report to AAA or be claimed off waivers. Or retire.

Nava was signed to platoon in the outfield. 

See any difference?

It was a good try on your part though to say "look they're doing it too" albeit incorrect. Keep looking though, there's definitely some examples of stupidity out there you'll be able to use to explain away our own
SCBucco

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by SCBucco »

1236222A2F430 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever."

While I admire his resolve to avoid injury through intense training  (described earlier in the article) I don't much care for his unwillingness to be flexible with regard to occasionally playing other positions in order to preserve his health. This team will have enough trouble trying to compete without the distraction of a selfish me-first attitude from a veteran player permeating the clubhouse.

Relax. Where else is he going to play for the Pirates? His only option is behind the plate. Our catching options are grim so ... they aren't moving him.
rucker59@gmail.com

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

5343427563636F000 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever."

While I admire his resolve to avoid injury through intense training  (described earlier in the article) I don't much care for his unwillingness to be flexible with regard to occasionally playing other positions in order to preserve his health. This team will have enough trouble trying to compete without the distraction of a selfish me-first attitude from a veteran player permeating the clubhouse.

Relax.  Where else is he going to play for the Pirates?  His only option is behind the plate.  Our catching options are grim so ... they aren't moving him.

Yeah, this is almost a non-story. The real issue is the public nature of his “issue”. We start the season with two of our most veteran players publicly complaining.
Quail

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Quail »

1101003721212D420 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

Relax.  Where else is he going to play for the Pirates?  His only option is behind the plate.  Our catching options are grim so ... they aren't moving him.

I am relaxed, but apparently Cervelli isn't which as others have noted is the problem. If you read my second post with additional context you'll see that Cervelli is reacting to what has been proposed by management regarding maintaining his on the field health. Being "old school" I prefer a player who publicly says he'll do whatever he's asked to do for the good of the team, and addresses his personal concerns privately with management.
SammyKhalifa

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3216020A0F630 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

I am relaxed, but apparently Cervelli isn't which as others have noted is the problem. If you read my second post with additional context you'll see that Cervelli is reacting to what has been proposed by management regarding maintaining his on the field health. Being "old school" I prefer a player who publicly says he'll do whatever he's asked to do for the good of the team, and addresses his personal concerns privately with management.

See, maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt; but I'm reading that quote as him admitting that he's not useful in other positions, and if he had to change he might as well not be here.
Ecbucs

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Ecbucs »

162428283C0E2D24292C2324450 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

See, maybe I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt; but I'm reading that quote as him admitting that he's not useful in other positions, and if he had to change he might as well not be here.

The Pirates wanted him to say Craig Biggio is my all time favorite catcher. Sure, I'll play center and second if you want.