general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Who would you add to the Bullpen in 2017

Post by BucsFaninGA »

From what I have read, it looks like the Bullpen will shake out to be:

Lefties) Tony Watson, Antonio Bastardo, Felipe Rivero

Righties) Juan Nicasio, AJ Schugel

That is 5 guys. FYI, I have not included Jared Hughes or Neftali Feliz ...I am thinking they will add 2 more relievers...

Who do you think that NH will add to the Pen in 2017?

just curious to see what other Bucco Fans think...

Bucs Fan in GA :D

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Need a Closer. Bring back Melancon.

I think some of the young starters might make the bullpen if they don't make the rotation. It's not a move usually made, but so many arms that are ready right now.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: Need a Closer.  Bring back Melancon.

I think some of the young starters might make the bullpen if they don't make the rotation.  It's not a move usually made, but so many arms that are ready right now.

Is this a dream thread, or reality? If we aren't going out and getting a good starter for the rotation, we aren't putting forth the $$$$ to bring back Melancon.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Melancon would be cheaper than a starter at last year's rates.

There are no top starters in the free agent market. Nova was offered a deal, he either said No or is still deciding.

I don't think Watson is a Closer material. Solid pitcher, but I want a righty. There are more right-handed hitters in baseball.

And the question was: who would I add to the bullpen? I answered as I know Melancon is available.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If we don't get better starters there's no point in getting Melancon
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I am referring to available relievers on the market...

My two cents... I would like to see Bucs go after righty reliever-Brad Zeigler, traded to the BoSox last summer. He came up with the A's and was a tough pitcher. Was traded to the D'Backs a year or so ago. He generates a lot of ground outs, is pretty durable, keeps the ball down, and is a righty. He might be the answer to a better option than resigning Jared Hughes.

Beat'em Bucs
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

0C3B2D3D082F202720090F4E0 wrote: I am referring to available relievers on the market...

My two cents... I would like to see Bucs go after righty reliever-Brad Zeigler, traded to the BoSox last summer. He came up with the A's and was a tough pitcher. Was traded to the D'Backs a year or so ago. He generates a lot of ground outs, is pretty durable, keeps the ball down, and is a righty. He might be the answer to a better option than resigning Jared Hughes.

Beat'em Bucs

Where was I reading that there might be a huge run on relief pitchers this offseason? Could be an interesting.
Quail

Post by Quail »

15272B2B3F0D2E272A2F2027460 wrote: If we don't get better starters there's no point in getting Melancon

I'm sorry to say I'm in agreement with this. I think Melancon would be a great signing for us if we have a starting staff that includes at least one high quality add, and that likely would have to come via trade considering the generally poor FA market.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I agree that there is no need for a high priced Closer if the team is no good. I don't think the Pirates are a bad team and why I want Melancon or think he should be added.

The Pirates did pay him $10 million last year. He is probably in that ballpark again this year.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

6F646C6065647F3A3C4B726A6364642568640B0 wrote: Melancon would be cheaper than a starter at last year's rates.

There are no top starters in the free agent market.  Nova was offered a deal, he either said No or is still deciding.

I don't think Watson is a Closer material.  Solid pitcher, but I want a righty.  There are more right-handed hitters in baseball.

And the question was: who would I add to the bullpen?  I answered as I know Melancon is available.

I too don't think Watson is the answer as a closer. Think he is an 8th inning set up guy. However, there is no reason to bring in Melancon at the money he will ask for when you have really no interest in bringing in a good starter for a rotation that needs it more.