Where's the chatter?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Where's the chatter?

Post by MaineBucs »

First, it's hard to get excited about the won - loss record at this point in spring training when all teams are cycling an endless line of players through most games. I don't follow the Twins at all, but in the 9th inning of yesterday's game the 3 players that batted spent all of last year in either High A or AA baseball.

To me, spring training is all about seeing how individual players perform. This is particularly true for pitchers who may be working on a new pitch or revised delivery. I didn't see the game that Oviedo recently pitched in which he was tagged for 3 or 4 runs in one inning. Not a good sign for someone who I hope is in the starting rotation come opening day. My concerns were abated somewhat when he talked about how he was trying out a new sinker in the game.

When it comes to position players I want to see how they are treating their time at bat and in the field. I have now seen parts of 3 games on TV. The defense has been pretty bad. Peguero's throw from SS to first looked like it was on a trajectory to leave the Park. I know that Triolo is not a natural first baseman, but he badly botched a play at first. Keller forgot to cover the bag until it was too late. The sun and the wind contributed to some balls that should have been sure outs ending up as hits or simply hitting the ground before anyone figured out the fly ball. Rodriguez, however, did make a nice play yesterday on a foul ball near the dugout.

I am trying to temper some of my thoughts based on the understanding that all players who only played in the majors last year having had to play with the pitch and batters clock.

Hopefully everyone figures this out by the time the real games begin.

With respect to the Pirates play and chances next year, why wouldn't everyone on this Board be concerned.

1 - All of the veteran position players that the Pirates signed this off-season performed at or below replacement level.

a. Hard to believe, but our new starting catcher had a lower batting average than both Delay and Heineman. The Pirates appear to be trying to corner the market on catchers who hit less than .200.

b. Andrew McCutchen was a gem during most of the time he previously suited up for the Pirates, however, his speed really started to diminish by the time the Pirates traded him and his slumps were longer than his streaks. In an off-season in which the lowly Pirates offered Austin Hedges $5 mil to play for them, there is a reason that Cutch was still available after the first of the year, and for the same salary as Hedges.

c. Gotta hope that Santana still has something in the tank, but that may be more hope than reality.

d. Connor Joe is a reserve (perhaps Gorski could have offered a similar performance), and I still don't get Choi.

2 - With respect to the young returning veterans, Hayes needs to demonstrate that his bat can play at 3rd, and Reynolds need to hit like he did for most of the second half for more of the season. Neither is a sure thing, and I really have my doubts about Hayes.

3 - With respect to the flock of young position players who largely debuted last season.

a. I have not seen Cruz field a play this spring training and I have only seen him hit once. That said, with his propensity to strike out, why are the Bucs trying to make him a lead-off hitter?

b. Castro got a few hits yesterday. He appears to play with enthusiasm, and could be a keeper.

c. Suwinski, I liked his overall play last year, but clearly he needs to get on base more and to cut down on his strike-outs while still hitting with power.

d. I think Mitchell is going to be a decent major league hitter and outfielder. The Bucs need to ensure he receives playing time this season.

e. Bae, his speed could be an asset. Marcano, still seems overmatched by major league pitching, but he is still young. None of the younger outfielders in camp appear to be stepping up and saying that I belong in the majors now.

Frankly, perhaps the major reason we are not hearing about position battles in spring training is because there are none based on the status of the current talent on the team, and because BC went out and signed 5 veteran position players who are all but guaranteed (barring injury) a roster spot.

4 - The starting rotation. I likely feel a bit better about the starting rotation than many on this Board. I think that Keller and Contreras could be good starters, that Brubaker will be an OK back of rotation starter, that Hill may continue to pitch like he has in recent seasons (I have more faith in Hill than I did when the Pirates first signed Quintana last year), and hope that someone among Ortiz, Oviedo, and Jimmy Anderson push Velasquez to the bullpen.

5 - The pen could be ok, but Garcia's injury is a cause for concern. Bednar performing like a consistently solid closer would be a big lift, and some of the pitchers who are coming back from injury could also be a help; Holderman looked really good yesterday. In the few games that I have seen I likely have seen more pitchers who won't be on the roster than those that will. Bullpens are often merry-go-rounds and this year's Pirate pen will likely be the same.

I would like to regularly be chatting it up more, but to date, its hard to chat too much about on-field play that you haven't seen.