Pirates OBP vs Power

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

kansasfan

Pirates OBP vs Power

Post by kansasfan »

Several caveats here, but looking at 1st half vs. 2nd half splits:

1st half: the top 4 pitchers in innings pitched all had ERA's over 5 (Liriano, Niese, Locke, Nicasio).

2nd half: the top 3 pitchers in innings pitched all had ERA's under 4 (Taillon, Kuhl, Nova).  In addition, Watson, Hughes, Rivero, Bastardo and Nicasio all have good (<3.25) ERA's the 2nd half.

If we could manage to sign Nova and have Cole pitch like his normal self, we could have a much-improved staff next year compared to this year.

Those are 2 very big IFs!
thessy

Pirates OBP vs Power

Post by thessy »

6E6C767066030 wrote: I'm stunned there are three teams with more left on base than the Pirates. That's amazing. I would have guessed we were way ahead in that category.

Runners left on base, IMO, is one of the rare stats that can't be used to infer much of anything outside of what it directly measures unless you group it with other stats, and even then it's a weak stat.   I would imagine there is some correlation between OBP and LOB, but there seems to be no significant direct correlation between LOB and position in the standings.

For example, the team with the most runners left stranded in 2016 is the Chicago Cubs with the best record in baseball.  The Padres and Reds have the two lowest LOB numbers and stink, but the Rangers are right after them and they have the second (or third) best record in baseball.

High LOB could indicate a powerhouse offense (Cubs) or a team of choke artist (Pirates).  Low LOB could indicate a poor offense (Reds/Padres) or a very efficient team that hits well with runners on base (Rangers).  LOB is a companion stat that has to be accompanied by other stats and/or standings to mean much of anything.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pirates OBP vs Power

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5D414C5A5A50290 wrote: I'm stunned there are three teams with more left on base than the Pirates. That's amazing. I would have guessed we were way ahead in that category.

Runners left on base, IMO, is one of the rare stats that can't be used to infer much of anything outside of what it directly measures unless you group it with other stats, and even then it's a weak stat.   I would imagine there is some correlation between OBP and LOB, but there seems to be no significant direct correlation between LOB and position in the standings.

For example, the team with the most runners left stranded in 2016 is the Chicago Cubs with the best record in baseball.  The Padres and Reds have the two lowest LOB numbers and stink, but the Rangers are right after them and they have the second (or third) best record in baseball.

High LOB could indicate a powerhouse offense (Cubs) or a team of choke artist (Pirates).  Low LOB could indicate a poor offense (Reds/Padres) or a very efficient team that hits well with runners on base (Rangers).  LOB is a companion stat that has to be accompanied by other stats and/or standings to mean much of anything.

That is a good point.

When you are winning, LOB doesn't matter. The team could have had bases loaded and a double knocked in two runs. Still have two guys LOB, but scored two runs. Compared to first and second and no one knocking in any runs.

The Cubs are knocking in runs, the Pirates are not. The Standings do show that.