Draft signings update

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

Draft signings update

Post by CTBucco »

1D2D213A3A2720032F3D3D4E0 wrote: Dylan Busby signed today according to PP2.

Have now signed 35 of 42 players drafted including 15 of their first 16.
Yeah. And he signed for under slot.

They also reportedly have a deal in place with HS outfielder Mason Martin.
UtahPirate

Draft signings update

Post by UtahPirate »

My 11-year old grandson is throwing out the first pitch for the Ogden Raptors game tonight (Dodgers rookie league). So I was excited to see what recent Dodger draftees I might get to take a look at. From their site it shows they have signed 1 of their top 10 picks and 4 of their top 20.

By comparison, our site shows 20 of our top 22 (includes our CBB and extra 2nd round pick). Maybe the Dodgers haven't updated their selections, but I was impressed at how aggressive we seem to have been this year in getting our picks signed. As for the Raptor roster, I'll be watching a ton of Latino kids.
IABucFan

Draft signings update

Post by IABucFan »

7051444D754C57445140250 wrote: My 11-year old grandson is throwing out the first pitch for the Ogden Raptors game tonight (Dodgers rookie league). So I was excited to see what recent Dodger draftees I might get to take a look at. From their site it shows they have signed 1 of their top 10 picks and 4 of their top 20.

By comparison, our site shows 20 of our top 22 (includes our CBB and extra 2nd round pick). Maybe the Dodgers haven't updated their selections, but I was impressed at how aggressive we seem to have been this year in getting our picks signed. As for the Raptor roster, I'll be watching a ton of Latino kids.

That's awesome! Maybe they'll offer him a contract!

20 of 22 is interesting. I think I also read that we've signed something like 35 or 36 of all 41 picks. I suppose that could be good or bad. Were those guys all guys who signed for slot or below, and don't really offer any high upside? Or, were we really aggressive in getting them signed?
IABucFan

Draft signings update

Post by IABucFan »

I also just noticed that the Cardinals only have a draft pool of just over $2 million. They forfeited their first round pick for signing Dexter Fowler and lost their second and third round picks for the hacking scandal with the Astros. I can't imagine they will wind up too good of a draft. But, it's the Cardinals...they probably picked some future Hall of Famer in the 25th round and will sign him for $100,000.
UtahPirate

Draft signings update

Post by UtahPirate »

5C5457607653747B150 wrote: My 11-year old grandson is throwing out the first pitch for the Ogden Raptors game tonight (Dodgers rookie league). So I was excited to see what recent Dodger draftees I might get to take a look at. From their site it shows they have signed 1 of their top 10 picks and 4 of their top 20.

That's awesome!  Maybe they'll offer him a contract!

20 of 22 is interesting.  I think I also read that we've signed something like 35 or 36 of all 41 picks.  I suppose that could be good or bad.  Were those guys all guys who signed for slot or below, and don't really offer any high upside?  Or, were we really aggressive in getting them signed?

The last time I had a friend throw out the first pitch was in Denver a few years ago ... ;)
IABucFan

Draft signings update

Post by IABucFan »

Yeah, heard he couldn't get it over the plate.
IABucFan

Draft signings update

Post by IABucFan »

Found this website.  It's pretty interesting.  Take a look at the 10th round.  For all but a handful of teams, the 10th round is a joke.  It's the designated, "Have a big overdraft of a guy you can sign way under slot so you have more money to spread around to other guys" round.  As an example, the Dodgers signed a guy for $1,500.  That's more than $130,000 under slot.  I have to believe that a lot of these guys are guys who maybe wouldn't have even been drafted were it not for the new rules.

Oh well...there's worse things for a guy who's a recent college grad to do than play for a year in the GCL or NYPL before getting on with his life's work.

https://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/6/15/ ... gs-tracker
UtahPirate

Draft signings update

Post by UtahPirate »

Interesting site! You can see what team signing strategies against the slotting amount are.

Shows the Dodgers need to update their team site as they have a bunch of guys signed. Both 9th and 10th round guys at $1,500 too. Their #1, #2 and #3 guys haven't signed and must be looking for a bundle.