The 'What Are You Reading' Thread

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

As a lifelong avid reader I'm always looking for new fiction or non-fiction reading material. A lot of the best things I've found to read over the years have come from asking friends and family what they're reading or what their favorite books are. As such I'm looking forward to hearing what OBN members are reading or would like to suggest for others.

I'll start by saying that right now in fiction I'm reading the 6th book in the Poke Rafferty mystery series called 'For The Dead' by Timothy Hallinan. For any mystery fans this is one of the best series I've ever read, right up there with James Lee Burke's and Michael Connelly's work.

In non-fiction I'm reading Harry MacLean's true crime work called 'In Broad Daylight'. A fascinating and scary look at vigilante justice in a small Missouri town in 1981. It is really a thought provoking view of a justice system and human nature gone to their darkest depths.

How about y'all? What are you reading? I'd love to hear about it.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Long time reader too. Right now I am in the midst of reading the Miss Fisher Mystery series. I like the tv show on Netflix so I asked my daughter about the books. Says they are wonderful and she is right. What a gal the heroine is.

And for non-fiction I am doing The Devil's Chessboard by David Talbot. About Allen Dulles, the CIA and the rise of America's secret government. Very interesting to say.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Thanks Possum! I will check out both the Miss Fisher series and The Devil's Chessboard. Sounds like they'd both be right up my (Gene) alley. :)
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Good topic.

I'm just finishing up a fasinating book - "The Faith of Christopher Hitchens". If you're not familiar, Hitchens is one of the leading forces behind the New atheism movement. He was diagnosed with cancer a few years back and died rather quickly in his 60s. His efforts have had a huge impact upon our culture. The book looks at the foundation of his worldview and some unexpected twists in his final years. its much better, and more important, than I made it sound.

I don't have the time to read much non-fiction, but two that I read many years ago still impact my thinking:

"Earth Abides" by Stewart (I think) - what if you came down from an isolated mountain retreat and everyone was gone....?

And "An American" Tragedy by Dreiser. The life altering consequences of our daily decisions.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Thanks VaPirate! I'll be checking out your recommendations. I'm particularly intrigued by the premise of 'Earth Abides'. Sounds like it would be thought provoking.
rucker59@gmail.com

1337232B2E420 wrote: Thanks VaPirate! I'll be checking out your recommendations. I'm particularly intrigued by the premise of 'Earth Abides'. Sounds like it would be thought provoking.

It's weird how often I think of that book. I checked online to see if the book is still around and the site I was looking at (iBook store) had a ton of reviews, nearly all 5 stars,and many people talking about the impact it had years ago and still impacting.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

4245535B5542050970575D51595C1E535F5D300 wrote: Good topic.

I'm just finishing up a fasinating book - "The Faith of Christopher Hitchens".  If you're not familiar, Hitchens is one of the leading forces behind the New atheism movement.  He was diagnosed with cancer a few years back and died rather quickly in his 60s.  His efforts have had a huge impact upon our culture. The book looks at the foundation of his worldview and some unexpected twists in his final years.  its much better, and more important, than I made it sound. 

I don't have the time to read much non-fiction, but two that I read many years ago still impact my thinking:

"Earth Abides" by Stewart (I think) - what if you came down from an isolated mountain retreat and everyone was gone....?

And "An American" Tragedy by Dreiser.  The life altering consequences of our daily decisions.

I read Hitchen's book of essays, I really enjoyed his literary essays.

I read The Financier a couple years ago, I'm not sure when i'll be able to read another Dreiser book.

Right now I'm reading the Orphan Master's Son by Adam Johnson. Novel set in North Korea, Only about a quarter into it, so not sure I can recommend yet. Keith Law's book list is a decent place to go for book recommendations.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I am currently reading an omnibus version of the space trilogy by C. S. Lewis.  It's not extremely long, about 600-700 pages for all three books combined.  It's not hard sci-fi and has Christian overtones (it is C.S. Lewis after all), but they are pretty good considering they were published in 1938, 43, & 45, WAY before we went to the moon.  I should edit this to say I just finished up book one and will start on book two soon.

rucker59@gmail.com

262324222A2039242D3E38354C0 wrote: I am currently reading an omnibus version of the space trilogy by C. S. Lewis.  It's not extremely long, about 600-700 pages for all three books combined.  It's not hard sci-fi and has Christian overtones (it is C.S. Lewis after all), but they are pretty good considering they were published in 1938, 43, & 45, WAY before we went to the moon.  I should edit this to say I just finished up book one and will start on book two soon.

Lewis is great. Always wanted to read the trilogy. Narina is good, even for adults.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I recommend anything by Donald E. Westlake. He also writes hard boiled crime fiction under name of Richard Stark.

Bill Bryson, At Home and A Short History of Nearly Everything are excellent.

I recently completed Adams by David McCullough and thought it was great biography. Finally will read more by him.