Cervelli's Attitude

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Quail »

Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever."

While I admire his resolve to avoid injury through intense training (described earlier in the article) I don't much care for his unwillingness to be flexible with regard to occasionally playing other positions in order to preserve his health. This team will have enough trouble trying to compete without the distraction of a selfish me-first attitude from a veteran player permeating the clubhouse.
Bobster21

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Bobster21 »

6347535B5E320 wrote: Here's a quote today by Francisco Cervelli from an article in The Athletic:

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever."

While I admire his resolve to avoid injury through intense training  (described earlier in the article) I don't much care for his unwillingness to be flexible with regard to occasionally playing other positions in order to preserve his health. This team will have enough trouble trying to compete without the distraction of a selfish me-first attitude from a veteran player permeating the clubhouse.
I think it's a moot point since his bat doesn't play as a corner infielder or an outfielder.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Where did this come from? What was the question?

Roberto218

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Roberto218 »

I agree with Bobster on mootness. Concussions are an issue, and can't really be avoided, but he could do a better job on protecting his right hand.
MaineBucs

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by MaineBucs »

I concur with Bobster. Cervelli's 'bat' is in the line-up because he is a catcher. He offers very limited offensive value and his bat would not play well at any other position. He also likely has hands of stone and no range to play any other position.

Further, Cervelli isn't really much of a PH and clearly doesn't have the bat to be a DH.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

Maybe Cervelli knows this too and why he spoke like that to some random reporter with some type of agenda?
Quail

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by Quail »

Here's a bit more context from the Athletic article (by Rob Biertempfel-formerly of the Trib):

Pirates management isn’t happy either when Cervelli is down for long stretches. During the winter meetings in December, general manager Neal Huntington indicated the team might give Cervelli more scheduled breaks this season to try to keep him healthier.

When he heard that on Tuesday morning, Cervelli frowned. He wants the Pirates to come up with a different plan.

“One thing is what they think and another is what I think,” Cervelli said. “I don’t want to play less. I came here to be a starter and I want to play as much as I can. I want to help my team. That’s my mentality, every year, even through the last few years, when I had injuries. I want to play.”

Spending a handful of games at first base or as the designated hitter, as Cervelli did in 2016 and earlier in his career, also is not an option.

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever. I like to catch, and I like to do it every day.”

mouse

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by mouse »

Hmmm . . . if he goes home, does that mean his contract goes away?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Cervelli's Attitude

103420282D410 wrote: Here's a bit more context from the Athletic article (by Rob Biertempfel-formerly of the Trib):

Pirates management isn’t happy either when Cervelli is down for long stretches. During the winter meetings in December, general manager Neal Huntington indicated the team might give Cervelli more scheduled breaks this season to try to keep him healthier.

When he heard that on Tuesday morning, Cervelli frowned. He wants the Pirates to come up with a different plan.

“One thing is what they think and another is what I think,” Cervelli said. “I don’t want to play less. I came here to be a starter and I want to play as much as I can. I want to help my team. That’s my mentality, every year, even through the last few years, when I had injuries. I want to play.”

Spending a handful of games at first base or as the designated hitter, as Cervelli did in 2016 and earlier in his career, also is not an option.

“If I have to play a different position, I’ll go home,” he said. “I don’t like to play anything else. I like to catch, I need to catch. I cannot be a DH or play first base or whatever. I like to catch, and I like to do it every day.”

That sure paints a different picture than the original post.

Thank you.
mouse

Cervelli's Attitude

Post by mouse »

Stewart appears to have (possibly) found a job. From mlbtr --

"The Braves have reached agreement with catcher Chris Stewart on a one-year deal, according to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman (via Twitter). It’s a non-guaranteed MLB contract, David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution adds on Twitter, which could pay Stewart $575K, per Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter)."