Rays get Jose De Leon

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by JollyRoger »

The Rays got the Dodgers top rookie pitcher for Logan Forsyth. Would you have traded Harrison to get De Leon?
Ecbucs

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by Ecbucs »

yes, but I don't know if the Dodgers would make that deal.
PMike

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by PMike »

03262525301B262E2C3B490 wrote: The Rays got the Dodgers top rookie pitcher for Logan Forsyth. Would you have traded Harrison to get De Leon?

I don't think the 2016 Harrison is enough given his two down years. He hits well, but his OPS is low. The 2014 would have been worthy.

At first glance, De Leon for Forsyth seems like a HUGE overpay from the Dodgers. However, Forsyth had a pretty solid year last year. The Dodgers must feel Kershaw is their window. They have to win now and the Cubs and Nats are their competition.

I don't think the Pirates have a comparable for just De Leon like Forsyth.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That isn't a lot for DeLeon.

Yes, I would trade Harrison for him in a heart beat. But Forsythe is the better overall hitter compared to Harrison.

I wonder if Harrison was even discussed. I sure hate that contract. It could go down as a huge mistake by Huntington. Especially, if you factor in they let Walker go too.

SammyKhalifa

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7D767E7277766D282E596078717676377A76190 wrote:

I wonder if Harrison was even discussed. 

I kinda doubt it, unless it was part of a bigger (Cutch to LA) deal.
Leyland1948

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by Leyland1948 »

I would have taken less than De Leon for Harrison. They may sign another bench guy but I think what is here know is what is going to spring training!
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

49607C69646B61343C313D050 wrote: I would have taken less than De Leon for Harrison. They may sign another bench guy but I think what is here know is what is going to spring training!

I am starting to wonder if Jaso will make the team. I don't mind him on the bench, but if he can't play the OF I don't know when he would play.

Unless they send down Frazier (down goes Frazier) or trade Hanson, I don't see a need for Jaso. I would rather have a bigger bat on the bench who is limited in the field than Jaso (Pedro anyone?)
SCBucco

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by SCBucco »

46636060755E636B697E0C0 wrote: The Rays got the Dodgers top rookie pitcher for Logan Forsyth. Would you have traded Harrison to get De Leon?

I would have done that deal without thinking. Dodgers would have laughed. Forsyth has had two pretty good years in a row. Has power; plays a good defense and is a decent hitter. Harrison's value has dropped quite a bit since his All-Star appearance. Not to Jeff Locke's magnitude, but ...
MaineBucs

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by MaineBucs »

First, I really doubt that Harrison could have landed Deleon.

Second, Forsyth is a better second baseman than Harrison and Forsyth is signed to a reasonable contract.

That said, perhaps the Bucs could have offered a package of Harrison and Watson to land Deleon as well as other talent. I am not trying to run Tony out of town, but I would have to believe that he would be much desired by LA. And, by offering Watson, perhaps the Dodgers would be willing to take a chance on Harrison.

That said, not much out there on the free agent market anymore so I'm not sure where the Bucs would be using the salary savings from dealing both Watson and Harrison. But, if the Bucs could have gotten enough young talent from LA that is close to being major league ready, perhaps they could have used some of that talent to go along with some of their existing minor league talent to make another run at Quintana.

Lastly, I am certain that all of the above is and has been discernible by NH.
steve49

Rays get Jose De Leon

Post by steve49 »

614D4542496E594F5F2C0 wrote: First, I really doubt that Harrison could have landed Deleon. 

Second, Forsyth is a better second baseman than Harrison and Forsyth is signed to a reasonable contract.

That said, perhaps the Bucs could have offered a package of Harrison and Watson to land Deleon as well as other talent.   I am not trying to run Tony out of town, but I would have to believe that he would be much desired by LA.  And, by offering Watson, perhaps the Dodgers would be willing to take a chance on Harrison.

That said, not much out there on the free agent market anymore so I'm not sure where the Bucs would be using the salary savings from dealing both Watson and Harrison.  But, if the Bucs could have gotten enough young talent from LA that is close to being major league ready, perhaps they could have used some of that talent to go along with some of their existing minor league talent to make another run at Quintana. 

Lastly, I am certain that all of the above is and has been discernible by NH.

I'm getting the feeling that no team is going to give up much for Watson. He went from a really live 95MPH FB to a straighter version at about 93MPH. You have to trade guys before they decline . Since there are only around 30 MLB teams , there is no need to have GM's that can't figure that out.