Pirates sign Daniel Vogelbach…

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Looks like a one year deal on a Major League contract. Not a bad pickup here especially with the DH now. Vogelbach can still swing the bat some and can at least give you some more options at both DH and at 1st base.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5C7B6A6E6B76497D6A6B6B760F0 wrote: Looks like a one year deal on a Major League contract. Not a bad pickup here especially with the DH now. Vogelbach can still swing the bat some and can at least give you some more options at both DH and at 1st base.
Appearance wise, he reminds me of Nogowski
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

46787D75667E7E755570677423110 wrote: Looks like a one year deal on a Major League contract. Not a bad pickup here especially with the DH now. Vogelbach can still swing the bat some and can at least give you some more options at both DH and at 1st base.

Reminds me of Chris Farley.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5065727279407272797E72170 wrote: Looks like a one year deal on a Major League contract. Not a bad pickup here especially with the DH now. Vogelbach can still swing the bat some and can at least give you some more options at both DH and at 1st base.

:D :D :D

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

We all know the Pirates won’t sign a big money free agent , but Vogelbach will lengthen the lineup. If Cruz makes the team Reynolds, Yoshi, Vogelbach, and Cruz appear to be a good heart of the lineup. There is potential of home run power with those 4 hitters.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

4A676A7B7C6D7A3A39080 wrote: Looks like a one year deal on a Major League contract. Not a bad pickup here especially with the DH now. Vogelbach can still swing the bat some and can at least give you some more options at both DH and at 1st base.

:D :D :D

I knew it!

He sort of reminds me of our GLORY years- of course, by that, I mean "Big Country Bad Brad Eldred." I don't think Mr. Country ever made it to SNL, but probably should have.

I like the pickup. Can't hurt, which is as much I can expect anymore.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Heyman was reporting that Vogelbach has a one year option on the contract as well. My oldest son is a big M's fan and attends a ton of games and really liked watching Vogelbach play - he was a favorite of M's fans as well mostly because of the Farley comparison. Fans do seem to like a players who have physiques similar to their own  ;D

He brings that one-swing-at-any-moment threat to the lineup. Seems to be the ideal DH now that it has arrived. So I think you can pencil in Yoshi and maybe occasionally Chavis at 1B - and ignore any resigning Moran on the cheap rumors.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6E4F5A536B52495A4F5E3B0 wrote: Heyman was reporting that Vogelbach has a one year option on the contract as well. My oldest son is a big M's fan and attends a ton of games and really liked watching Vogelbach play - he was a favorite of M's fans as well mostly because of the Farley comparison. Fans do seem to like a players who have physiques similar to their own  ;D

He brings that one-swing-at-any-moment threat to the lineup. Seems to be the ideal DH now that it has arrived. So I think you can pencil in Yoshi and maybe occasionally Chavis at 1B - and ignore any resigning Moran on the cheap rumors.
He's gonna have to hit a lot of HRs to compensate for that Mendoza line BA. He and Yoshi appear to be the DH and 1Bman. Previously, I had head theories that Yoshi could DH with Chavis at 1B. I think they want to get Chavis in the lineup. He was a 1st rd pick of Cherington when Cherington was GM at Boston. Chavis hit 18 HRs as a rookie, struggled since, but looked good in a very brief trial with the Bucs last year. He can play 2B, which is where the Pirates mostly used him last year. So if Chavis plays 2B, it looks doubtful for Tucker to win that job or even Newman if Cruz takes over SS.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

1D303D2C2B3A2D6D6E5F0 wrote: Heyman was reporting that Vogelbach has a one year option on the contract as well. My oldest son is a big M's fan and attends a ton of games and really liked watching Vogelbach play - he was a favorite of M's fans as well mostly because of the Farley comparison. Fans do seem to like a players who have physiques similar to their own  ;D

He's gonna have to hit a lot of HRs to compensate for that Mendoza line BA. He and Yoshi appear to be the DH and 1Bman. Previously, I had head theories that Yoshi could DH with Chavis at 1B. I think they want to get Chavis in the lineup. He was a 1st rd pick of Cherington when Cherington was GM at Boston. Chavis hit 18 HRs as a rookie, struggled since, but looked good in a very brief trial with the Bucs last year. He can play 2B, which is where the Pirates mostly used him last year. So if Chavis plays 2B, it looks doubtful for Tucker to win that job or even Newman if Cruz takes over SS. 

BA is low, but patient to the extreme with a OBP near .350 when he plays consistently. The rap on him while in Seattle was he was over-patient - lots of called thirds. But his last full year in 2019 he put up solid numbers. His salary is about a low as possible for a FA signing and he's only 29, so not some old fading guy grabbing his last paychecks. Hopefully he has something to prove.

Vogelbach hits righties - (.228/.357/.442) - and shouldn't play much against lefties where Yoshii hits well. I think Chavis will see plenty of ABs somewhere in our lineup whether it is DH/1B or some starts at 2B.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think Vogelbach’s contract contained an option for 2023. The way he has hit this year, I think the Pirates should exercise the option for next season. At a very reasonable contract, he has been a very good DH.