Two more Free Agent Pitchers no longer available

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Appears that Tyson Ross and Trevor Cahill are prepared to sign contracts with the Rangers and Padres respectively. If the Bucs intend to sign a veteran pitcher they should do it soon because the list of pitchers was never very good, and now some guys who might have been candidates to sign are coming off the list.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I was hoping that we could land Tyson Ross. Seems like 6 million is a bargain considering the Padres thought he would command 9-10 million in arbitration
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

0D282B2B3E1528202235470 wrote: I was hoping that we could land Tyson Ross. Seems like 6 million is a bargain considering the Padres thought he would command 9-10 million in arbitration

Yeah, bummer on Ross. Could be a potential steal for Texas. AL West could be a real good race among the Rangers, Astros, and Mariners. It almost makes me wonder if either the A's or Angels are going to have a fire sale. I feel like the Angels are a hot mess. I have a good friend who's a diehard Angels fan and feels the same way. With all the money they have, and having the best player in the game, they're a disaster right now with little if any help on the way from the minors. I'm thinking Garrett Richards might be a good target.
slider71

Post by slider71 »

I was really high on Cahill before the Nova signing. Ross always seemed like a pipe dream but there are a couple other names to keep in your back pocket.

Brett Anderson- I like this idea much better than selling the farm for Quintana! Still has elite stuff when healthy, should come cheap and the downside is he gives you 10-15 excellent starts before getting injured, just enough time to have the Glasgow, Kingham types to hone their skills at AAA

Henderson Alvarez- same concept as above, high beta player if healthy. Bigger health question here however as his injury was shoulder related and he might not be ready for start of the season.

Nate Eovoldi- have to think outside the box a little here. If you sign Eovoldi to a 2 year contract and rehab him in year 1 with the bigger picture being a prospect haul trade of Cole next season. Eavoldi is able to step into the vacant spot left open by Cole after the trade.

Slider
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7D62676A6B7C393F0E0 wrote: I was really high on Cahill before the Nova signing.  Ross always seemed like a pipe dream but there are a couple other names to keep in your back pocket.

Brett Anderson-  I like this idea much better than selling the farm for Quintana!  Still has elite stuff when healthy, should come cheap and the downside is he gives you 10-15 excellent starts before getting injured, just enough time to have the Glasgow, Kingham types to hone their skills at AAA

Henderson Alvarez-  same concept as above, high beta player if healthy.  Bigger health question here however as his injury was shoulder related and he might not be ready for start of the season.

Nate Eovoldi-  have to think outside the box a little here.  If you sign Eovoldi to a 2 year contract and rehab him in year 1 with the bigger picture being a prospect haul trade of Cole next season.  Eavoldi is able to step into the vacant spot left open by Cole after the trade.

Slider

Pass on all the names you bring up. Anderson is a train wreck waiting to happen. No excuse not to sign Ross, especially for that price.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6373724553535F300 wrote: I was really high on Cahill before the Nova signing.  Ross always seemed like a pipe dream but there are a couple other names to keep in your back pocket.

Brett Anderson-  I like this idea much better than selling the farm for Quintana!  Still has elite stuff when healthy, should come cheap and the downside is he gives you 10-15 excellent starts before getting injured, just enough time to have the Glasgow, Kingham types to hone their skills at AAA

Henderson Alvarez-  same concept as above, high beta player if healthy.  Bigger health question here however as his injury was shoulder related and he might not be ready for start of the season.

Nate Eovoldi-  have to think outside the box a little here.  If you sign Eovoldi to a 2 year contract and rehab him in year 1 with the bigger picture being a prospect haul trade of Cole next season.  Eavoldi is able to step into the vacant spot left open by Cole after the trade.

Slider

Pass on all the names you bring up.  Anderson is a train wreck waiting to happen.  No excuse not to sign Ross, especially for that price.

I know you and I don't tend to agree on the Pirates' FO approach. But, I agree on this point. Should have gambled on Ross. Pass on Anderson. I'd really like to see what the Angels would need to deal Garrett Richards.
slider71

Post by slider71 »

Couple things-

Looks like the Pirates were indeed one of the finalists for Cahill.

-"Trevor Cahill had offers from #Pirates,#BlueJays,#Reds,#Rangers, but wanted to be starter again, and will sign 1-year, $1.75M deal w #Padres"

I'm OK with this, if the Pirates were unable to resign Nova I think Cahill would have been a good add to the rotation to provide some consistent but unspectacular innings.

- Ross wanted to go to a team that had experience dealing with thoracic outlet rehab. Texas has that, Pirates don't. I could see this signing going either way, but the 7-8 million it would have been a big risk for the Pirates.

Slider
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Ya, sign Nova and Ross and enjoy the successful offseason.
slider71

Post by slider71 »

I hate small sample size as much as the next guy but let me give you both Anderson and Ross 2015 seasons. You can make the argument that Ross has been more consistent but I also think you can argue that Anderson has had better individual seasons when healthy.

Ross 2015- 3.26 ERA with a 1.31 WHIP

Anderson 2015- 3.69 ERA with a 1.33 WHIP

Add in the fact that Anderson is 2 years younger, finished last season healthy (recovered from back surgery), and would add a LeftHanded pitcher to a RightHanded staff.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Anderson would be a dominant starter, but I think if he is healthy he provides the upside that no other free agent pitcher on the market offers.

Saw this earlier, he does a way better job of defending a signing like this.

http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/bre ... ternative/

Slider