should the Pirates trade marte?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

MLB Trade rumors has a story on this saying right now the Pirates aren't planning on shopping him.

The article also includes this section:

To be honest, it would be quite surprising if Pittsburgh didn’t at least listen on Marté at some point this offseason. The Pirates completely melted down in the second half en route to an NL Central-worst 69-93 record, and there’s little reason to expect an immediate bounce back. [highlight]Pittsburgh’s position players were below-average both offensively and defensively, per Fangraphs, while ace Jameson Taillon is already believed out for next season after undergoing his second Tommy John surgery. Even if the club gets returns to peak form out of starting pitchers Trevor Williams and Chris Archer, it’s difficult to imagine them contending in 2020.[/highlight]
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Perhaps the new president will be able to explain to Nutting and perhaps even NH that now is the time to trade Marte.

Marte has 2 more years of cost control.

He is performing at a high level.

He is not old.

He plays a premium position.

Other teams need help in CF.

There are not a lot other players equal to Marte who could be available for CF

And, perhaps most importantly, the Pirates are not ready to compete and need to get as much value as they can from players who could help add talent to the team.

I like Marte, but I hope that he is traded this off-season and that the team acquires other talent for future years.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

49656D6A6146716777040 wrote: Perhaps the new president will be able to explain to Nutting and perhaps even NH that now is the time to trade Marte. 

He is not old.

And, perhaps most importantly, the Pirates are not ready to compete and need to get as much value as they can from players who could help add talent to the team.

I like Marte, but I hope that he is traded this off-season and that the team acquires other talent for future years. 

The key to this is that he is actually playing at a high level. Otherwise his career is filled with underperformance and an attitude that has been questionable at best.

His current value may actually approach his potential and that favorable contract creates incredible opportunity for the Pirates.

It is almost inconceivable that 2020 will be a year the Pirates compete. If the Pirates don’t trade Marte this off-season I will be stunned.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would be surprised if Marte is not traded this offseason or at the July trade deadline. Marte is the Pirates best trade piece, and I am sure the Bucs will bring his name up in trade conversations, or if they are approached by a team asking about his availability they will listen. They need some additional young players, and this could be one way to acquire it.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3834356E676E666B6C73695E0 wrote: I would be surprised if Marte is not traded this offseason or at the July trade deadline. Marte is the Pirates best trade piece, and I am sure the Bucs will bring his name up in trade conversations, or if they are approached by a team asking about his availability they will listen. They need some additional young players, and this could be one way to acquire it.
As long as it's not another Cole-type quantity over quality deal.
PMike

Post by PMike »

6D6A7C747A6D2A265F78727E7673317C70721F0 wrote: Perhaps the new president will be able to explain to Nutting and perhaps even NH that now is the time to trade Marte. 

He is not old.

The key to this is that he is actually playing at a high level. Otherwise his career is filled with underperformance and an attitude that has been questionable at best. 

His current value may actually approach his potential and that favorable contract creates incredible opportunity for the Pirates. 

It is almost inconceivable that 2020 will be a year the Pirates compete.  If the Pirates don’t trade Marte this off-season I will be stunned. 

How do you back up the bolded statement? Underperformer? What are the expectations? I think he has had a pretty good career in Pittsburgh so far. He is a perennial gold glove quality defender. He's a lifetime .287 batting average. He has always had good gap power and, while not a HR hitter, is always a threat at the plate. His strikeout numbers have been declining every year. This past year he had is best year offensively.

He has gotten dinged a couple time for not hustling (and he certainly isn't the only one who doesn't always hustle), but to suggest he has an attitude problem...I don't know about that one. That's a pretty big accusation.

Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Marte, Bell, and Reynolds are our only[ above average everyday players, while Newman has a shot to become one. It appears that our hitting coach knows how to help develop talent. Perhaps our new pitching coach will too. I think that Marte will age better than Cutch, and is worth an extension. Some of the teams that we were running out in September were pretty horrible.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

737F7E252C252D20273822150 wrote: I would be surprised if Marte is not traded this offseason or at the July trade deadline. Marte is the Pirates best trade piece, and I am sure the Bucs will bring his name up in trade conversations, or if they are approached by a team asking about his availability they will listen. They need some additional young players, and this could be one way to acquire it.

I prefer the July trade deadline, for two reasons: with an extra year option, Marte could still bring a fortune in trade. By then, we'll know which Elias Dias we have at catcher, and whether or not we have anyone at AAA worth bringing up to the MLB outfield. We'll need help in our rotation, at catcher in the high minors, and a hole in the OF.

I don't want to see us try to fix all three in one trade. They tried that with Gerritt Cole. I'd like to see us try quality over quantity this time.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I would go with the July deadline unless there is a really good deal over the winter. The downside to waiting till July is that he may get injured, whatever. I expect they wait - I think they believe they can compete next year (with injured players recovering) and so won't want to miss that chance. By July, they will know if they are right or wrong.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

686A707660050 wrote: I would go with the July deadline unless there is a really good deal over the winter. The downside to waiting till July is that he may get injured, whatever. I expect they wait - I think they believe they can compete next year (with injured players recovering) and so won't want to miss that chance. By July, they will know if they are right or wrong.
It's hard for me to believe they think they can compete next year with the return of injured players. They knew Hurdle and Coonelly had to go even with players healing for next year. So it looks like they know the problems go deeper than injuries. And while Burdi and Santana should return to strengthen the BP, Vazquez is gone and they still have an awful rotation and Taillon is out next year. Polanco is not a difference maker even if he comes back at full strength. As it now stands, I see the same team with a better BP and a possible catching upgrade. But the rotation of 5 #4-5 types can't compete.