Comparison of Stats for Former Buc and Current Pirate

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just looked at the current stats for Neil Walker and David Freese and they are similar. Neil has 15 Home Runs 35 Rbi and is hitting .262. Freese now has 8 homers 35 RBi and a batting average of .292. Freese kind of fell in the Pirates lap by a late signing during spring training, but if you compare salaries, the Bucs are getting a better bargain with Freese since he is paid about $ 7 million less than Walker.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

But Freese doesn't play 2B. I don't get this comparison.

Compare Walker to Harrison. Harrison is the one who took over for Walker. I understood the trade, but I would rather have Walker than Harrison. I just think Walker is the better overall player (I am not even looking at the stats, but I bet Walker's are better).

The better comparison is would you rather have Jaso at 1B or Freese? Or Alvarez? Kang isn't hitting right now, Freese has been a great addition. But no way do I want to bench Kang.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

When I wrote the post I was looking at a comparison from one bat in the line-up vs another bat. The stats for Freese and Walker are very close at this time. I think this off season several of us thought the Bucs would miss the run production from Pedro and Walker. At the halfway point of the season I don't think we miss their offense. There are others now in the line-up who have covered for any loss in run production, and Freese is one of those players.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3D31306B626B636E69766C5B0 wrote: When I wrote the post I was looking at a comparison from one  bat in the line-up vs another bat. The stats for Freese and Walker are very close at this time. I think this off season several of us thought the Bucs would miss the run production from Pedro and Walker. At the halfway point of the season I don't think we miss their offense. There are others now in the line-up who have covered for any loss in run production, and Freese is one of those players.

Yeah I'd say that the offseason plan with the offense has worked out just fine, the pitching not so much maybe
dogknot17@yahoo.co

4844451E171E161B1C03192E0 wrote: When I wrote the post I was looking at a comparison from one  bat in the line-up vs another bat. The stats for Freese and Walker are very close at this time. I think this off season several of us thought the Bucs would miss the run production from Pedro and Walker. At the halfway point of the season I don't think we miss their offense. There are others now in the line-up who have covered for any loss in run production, and Freese is one of those players.

We do miss the run production of those two. If you compared them to Harrison and Jaso, the actually guys who replaced them, you would see the production is worse.

Freese and Rodriguez have helped Jaso at 1B.

The offense isn't the problem, but I don't understand why you are comparing Freese to Walker. If Walker was still a Pirates, Freese could/would have still been signed.
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

545859020B020A07001F05320 wrote: Just looked at the current stats  for Neil Walker and David Freese and they are similar. Neil has 15 Home Runs 35 Rbi and is hitting .262. Freese now has 8 homers 35 RBi and a batting average of .292.  Freese kind of fell in the Pirates lap by a late signing during spring training, but if you compare salaries, the Bucs are getting a better bargain with Freese since he is paid about $ 7 million less than Walker.

Very good comparison, and a smart way to look at the impact Walker would or would not have had on the lineup.

The Harrison comp makes no sense, since Harrison would be on the team if Walker was or not.  Not hard to imagine Walker having 30 less ABs or so if he was with the Pirates all year.  Freese not being a 2B is irrelevant.  Harrison would have just played 3B more than 2B and Walker likely would be playing some 1B.

Jaso vs Freese makes no sense. Or Alvarez for that matter.

The Pirates certainly do not miss Walker's bat. The problem is they made a horrible trade.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Walker was the starting 2B last year. Harrison is the starting 2B this year.

Freese would not have replaced Walker in the line up.

Jaso and Freese play 1B this year. Alvarez played there last year. Those two replaced Alvarez.

Yes, I agree. It was a bad trade (so far).
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

if teams out there would have expected Freese to do this well he would have been signed earlier for a lot more money. Luckily the Pirates got him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

557372657363100 wrote: if teams out there would have expected Freese to do this well he would have been signed earlier for a lot more money.  Luckily the Pirates got him.

I agree. I thought he was a fine bench player, but I didn't think he would be this good. He should 9and could) be playing every day.

The Pirates need Kang back. Why isn't he hitting? Freese has filled in great for Jaso and Kang (offense and defense too).
NCBuccofan

Post by NCBuccofan »

6F49485F49592A0 wrote: if teams out there would have expected Freese to do this well he would have been signed earlier for a lot more money.  Luckily the Pirates got him.

And zero chance he is on the team if Walker was on the team.  OP made a great comp and showed why the Pirates are not missing Walker, and getting rid of Alvarez was brilliant, and probably well over due.

Comping opposing platoon bats is really weird.