Baseball Apps

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Baseball Apps

Post by mouse »

Here's a nice summary of apps for the baseball fan. The problem I had with the MLB at Bat streaming was that being in the Pirates market I couldn't get video streaming of any Pirates games. I was good for all other teams, so long as they weren't playing Pittsburgh. The radio is good, though, and especially during spring training --

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/9-best-apps ... ball-fans/
johnfluharty

Baseball Apps

Post by johnfluharty »

thanks for posting. I just installed MiLB first pitch. :)
mouse

Baseball Apps

Post by mouse »

:) That's the one I plan to add as well.
SammyKhalifa

Baseball Apps

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I just have the official MLB At bat one, mainly for gameday.  I like it but need to mess with the settings--it's constantly sending me notifications about things I don't care about.  Or notifications with very slightly different content all about the same trade.
dmetz

Baseball Apps

Post by dmetz »

Does MLB At bat premium allow you to watch out of market games through streaming video or is it just highlights and "look in's" and things of that sort?

mouse

Baseball Apps

Post by mouse »

My experience was that you could stream the whole game. My daughter lived in DC and used it there without trouble, even though I couldn't here. The key is the plan - they have different levels. I don't know the cost of full streaming but it's more than the basic radio charge. More importantly, though, be sure you can get your games in your area. Every team has a protected "market." You can't get games in market (at least at that time). Someone on this board a number of years ago lived in a rural area distant but not too distant from St. Louis and Chicago (and I'm not sure where else), and was blocked from any game from any of those places, even though he would have been fine for the Pirates. (I don't think a station in his area carried any of the games for those teams, either, which only made it worse.
IABucFan

Baseball Apps

Post by IABucFan »

37352F293F5A0 wrote: My experience was that you could stream the whole game. My daughter lived in DC and used it there without trouble, even though I couldn't here. The key is the plan - they have different levels. I don't know the cost of full streaming but it's more than the basic radio charge. More importantly, though, be sure you can get your games in your area. Every team has a protected "market." You can't get games in market (at least at that time). Someone on this board a number of years ago lived in a rural area distant but not too distant from St. Louis and Chicago (and I'm not sure where else), and was blocked from any game from any of those places, even though he would have been fine for the Pirates. (I don't think a station in his area carried any of the games for those teams, either, which only made it worse.

Yeah, that’s me. Iowa was, and still is, ground zero,for MLB's archane blackout policy. Twins, White Sox, Brewers, Cubs, and Cards are all blacked out here. Royals were, too, until last year when they dropped their claim to Iowa as home territory. So, you can now get Royals games through either Extra Innings or MLB.tv.

There are different “levels” of the At Bat app. You can get the basic, free version, which gives little more than a running box score, you can get the version with just audio, which is $20.00 I think, you can get a team specific package for something like $80 and be able to stream all of that one team's games (excluding those “in-market,” or you can get the full version, allowing you to stream all games, which is $115 (again, excluding those “in-market”). They have a follow your team option as an add-on. This would in theory allow me to watch the Pirates and Cubs, for example, but only of you subscribe to a cable or satellite service that has that regional sports network, and then only if you log into your MLB.tv account using your cable provider's information.

In short, no, the AB app won’t stream games unless you get MLB.tv, which includes a subscription to the AB app. All games are subject to local blackout.