What Will NH do first this offseason?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I am curious as to what move you posters think Neal Huntington will make first this offseason in regarding to improving the immediate 25 man roster?

I saw where former Royals Reliever, Greg Holland, tossed a few innings recently. Does anyone think NH will lock him up to a 1 year deal? When healthy he certainly was a tough pitcher out of the bullpen!

Bucs Fan in GA
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Why am I terrified that we're going to bring back Charlie Morton as this year's reclamation project?
BenM

Post by BenM »

7250435E5D585F50734452525E310 wrote: Why am I terrified that we're going to bring back Charlie Morton as this year's reclamation project?

That made me laugh.

But I would have laughed just as hard had you told me a year ago that they would be bringing back Vogelsong.
Quail

Post by Quail »

0725362B282D2A25063127272B440 wrote: Why am I terrified that we're going to bring back Charlie Morton as this year's reclamation project?

NH: "I'm very happy to announce that the Pirates have signed Charlie Morton and his 'electric stuff' to a 3 year deal. We're gratified to have him back in black and gold to fill the role of a veteran starter in our rotation that was created by the departure of Ryan Vogelsong to free agency. We're also pleased to announce that we've come to terms with Jeff Locke on a contract extension that will avoid the arbitration process. With Jeff and Charlie now penciled into the rotation we'll be able to avoid having to rush any of our young starters to the big leagues." :D
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

That was funny but at the same time it was not funny.

ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

Jason Hammel anyone?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

Major League trade rumors predicts the Bucs will sign Andrew Cashner for 8 million for one year.
Quail

Post by Quail »

604647504656250 wrote: Major League trade rumors predicts the Bucs will sign Andrew Cashner for 8 million for one year.

He and Jeff Locke both had WHIPs of 1.53 last season. Charlie Morton is probably a better pitcher than Cashner.  :(
mouse

Post by mouse »

The idea with Cashner is that he has upside. He's starting where he and Locke were last year and has the potential to be much better, much as Nova got better. It's still the reclamation idea, but the potential (from past performance) is there. Locke does not seem to have that potential.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Cashner's career ERA of 3.89 doesn't look too bad. Until you realize that he has a career ERA of 2.78 at Petco Park and 4.72 everywhere else. To me this looks like Vogelsong situation (but a younger one). That is, it would be great if he could contribute to the rotation but there is reason to believe they would end up having to replace him.