21 Games Remain

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

21 Games Remain

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In order for the Pirates to have a .500 season they must win 12 of the remaining 21 games. The way they have played during the past few weeks I don't expect them to win that many games. Actually they have only won five more games than the Brewers, so the Bucs may fall to fourth place before the season ends in 3 weeks.
mouse

21 Games Remain

Post by mouse »

Ah, but it is time to start wondering where they end up in the draft pecking order. So maybe fourth isn't all that bad.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

21 Games Remain

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

3133292F395C0 wrote: Ah, but it is time to start wondering where they end up in the draft pecking order. So maybe fourth isn't all that bad.

Agreed.
Bobster21

21 Games Remain

Post by Bobster21 »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: Ah, but it is time to start wondering where they end up in the draft pecking order. So maybe fourth isn't all that bad.

Agreed.
I'm excited about the draft. Can't wait to see how much money they save when they give the best prospects away. >:(
dmetz

21 Games Remain

Post by dmetz »

This is another collapse. What an embarrassment, but then again, nobody really cares that much now that football season is here.

It's definitely not the FOs fault though. That's for sure. 98 wins to a team that's going to end up losing 90. Just the way it happens sometimes.

SCBucco

21 Games Remain

Post by SCBucco »

303931202E540 wrote: This is another collapse.  What an embarrassment, but then again, nobody really cares that much now that football season is here.

It's definitely not the FOs fault though. That's for sure.  98 wins to a team that's going to end up losing 90.   Just the way it happens sometimes.

The total collapse can't be blamed on the fO. HOWEVER, the FO did absolutely nothing in the offseason to shore up our major deficiencies - on the mound.  Once again, they went for reclamation projects - Nicasio and Feliz.  Didn't replace Burnett; didn't replace Happ.  Instead, they were probably going to rely on two rookie pitchers - Taillon and Glasnow to fill the void. 

I have to be honest, everyone should be concerned with the potential starting rotation next year.  Cole should have a better year.  Tallion could be a good number two if he continues to develop and remain healthy.  Three, four, five is a major ???  Can Glasnow be the three?  Who is at four?  Hutchinson?  LOL.  Five?  Brault?  Locke (don't laugh on that with this organization), Williams?  That is not a great rotation.  Kuhl? That would be an awfully young, inexperienced and quite frankly average at best rotation. Nova has to be resigned.

We haven't had a true first baseman since Kevin Young.  Let that sink in. We know all the names of converted 1st basemen over the years.  Bell might be the next - square peg into a hole.  He can hit, but can't field.  Time to maybe find someone who is a primary first baseman?

Who is the closer?  Not sold on Watson.  Loved him as the 8th inning guy, but not as the closer.  Maybe Rivero is being groomed?

There are many problems here.  We have solid role players - Freese, Rodriguez, Joyce this year.   We need solutions, not band aids.

Someone brought up an interesting idea with Cole and Cutch to Arizona for Goldschmidt.  I would consider it if they add something, maybe Robbie Ray.  Cole and Cutch won't be here much longer.  They will bolt when FA comes.  Get something in return.  Problem ... the value of both is an all-time low.  Not sure Arizona would pull the trigger on it.  I would if I was Pittsburgh.  Cutch's body language this season hasn't been good.
UtahPirate

21 Games Remain

Post by UtahPirate »

Since we started a home series with Miami in mid August our home record is an amazing 4 and 16.

It's sure been a painful last month and a half...
SteadyFreddy

21 Games Remain

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Getting handled yet again by the Cubs tonight. About to fall to 3-14 against them this season.
Bobster21

21 Games Remain

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm glad Hurdle is such a good motivator. ::)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

21 Games Remain

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7F525F4E49584F0F0C3D0 wrote: I'm glad Hurdle is such a good motivator.  ::)

Do you think motivation trumps talent?