Andrew McCutchen Milestone Watch

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Andrew McCutchen is really close to two rather significant career milestones. He needs 36 hits and 10 home runs for 2000 and 300 in his career, respectively. He'll likely reach both this year.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

In all of baseball history, less than 100 players have reached both of those milestones. An amazing accomplishment for McCutchen.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

He's one triple from 50, 4 doubles from 400, and 6 walks from 1000.

The HR count is down to 9 now and hits are down to 34.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

5305130708120209041321060C00080D4F02610 wrote: In all of baseball history, less than 100 players have reached both of those milestones.  An amazing accomplishment for McCutchen.

I never saw Cutch as a HoFer. Great player, but probably not HOF worthy. In light of what you said, plus playing CF most of his career. An MVP. I think one Gold Glove, and maybe two Silver Sluggers, maybe AM is HoF worthy.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6D6566514762454A240 wrote: In all of baseball history, less than 100 players have reached both of those milestones.  An amazing accomplishment for McCutchen.

I never saw Cutch as a HoFer. Great player, but probably not HOF worthy. In light of what you said, plus playing CF most of his career. An MVP. I think one Gold Glove, and maybe two Silver Sluggers, maybe AM is HoF worthy.

I think his heyday might be a little too short to get into the HoF. I would not be surprised to see a statue some day, though.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

He's a Pirates Hall Of Famer, surely.

He's  Pittsburgh Hall Of Famer, surely.

Not even close to a MLB Hall Of Famer, and that's no insult.  There are well over 100 very fine players who arent/weren't at that level.

Not long ago, we talked about Andy Van Slyke.

People all over baseball debate Andruw Jones, Dave Parker, Curt Schilling, and others. 

Appreciate Cutch for who he is and what he 's done and doing.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Cutch has 1 MVP, 4 silver sluggers, 1 gold glove, 5 All Star appearances, 4th in ROY voting, twice was third in MVP voting, and 5th once.

In his first 9 seasons with the Bucs, only once was his OPS under .800, and his OPS plus has always been over 100.

What hurt his HOF chances was the knee injury and two truncated seasons with the Phillies, with his only season over 100 games played with them a sub mediocre season. He was not "Cutch" with his time with the Giants, though his trade to the Yankees he did well in 25 games with them. His season with Milwaukee was his worst.

In his time away from the Pirates, he needed at least 3-4 seasons of Cutch type seasons to even be in the HOF argument.

His career is certainly one at least 90 percent if not more of everyone who has played in MLB history would love to have had.

Unless he has found the fountain of youth for the next 3-4 years, he won't make the HOF but he'll go down as one of the greatest Pirates players of all time, and that's certainly good enough for me.

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Almost certainly on the list of best Pirates of the modern era. In my eyes, the greatest since Barry Bonds.

2023 has very little to do with it. It's almost as limited as his best times in Philadelphia- before he was injured. I'll base it on what he's done thus far.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

5F57546375507778160 wrote: In all of baseball history, less than 100 players have reached both of those milestones.  An amazing accomplishment for McCutchen.

My guess is that non-Pirates fans would say that he doesn’t belong. If he‘s not voted in by the Baseball Writers, the Veteran’s Committee might put him in. He’s one of those players who fits nicely into the Hall of the Very Good, but might not be good enough for the HOF.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

As of today McCutchen is 29 hits from 2000, 3 doubles from 400, 8 home runs from 300 and 3 walks from 1,000. It will be nice to see him get these milestones this season.