Albert Pujols, Babe Ruth and the Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

This one is for our Babe Adams who loves stuff like this - and don't ask me how I have remembered this little trivia bit, but I always have.

Babe Ruth hit his last 3 HRs at Forbes Field when he played for Boston Braves of the NL in 1935. #712, 713 and 714.

https://www.wpxi.com/archive/this-day-m ... 77BVN3DOI/

Albert Pujols has hit is last three HRs against the Pirates including #703 tonight.

So in that odd "the baseball gods are always in charge" thing that goes on with the game we love, I'm calling Pujols done at 703.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0726333A023B20332637520 wrote: This one is for our Babe Adams who loves stuff like this - and don't ask me how I have remembered this little trivia bit, but I always have.

Babe Ruth hit his last 3 HRs at Forbes Field when he played for Boston Braves of the NL in 1935. #712, 713 and 714.

Albert Pujols has hit is last three HRs against the Pirates including #703 tonight.

So in that odd "the baseball gods are always in charge" thing that goes on with the game we love, I'm calling Pujols done at 703.

As much as I'd like to believe you, Pujols could hit another three before he wraps up these next two games. The man's a menace.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

693F293D322838333E291B3C363A323775385B0 wrote: This one is for our Babe Adams who loves stuff like this - and don't ask me how I have remembered this little trivia bit, but I always have.

As much as I'd like to believe you, Pujols could hit another three before he wraps up these next two games.  [highlight]The man's a menace[/highlight].

He's a menace you love to hate!
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

"This one is for our Babe Adams who loves stuff like this"

Thank you!

I think my favorite Pujols homer against the Pirates was off Denny Bautista in 2009. It was in the era when the Pirates were collecting relief pitchers over 6'4", no matter how unqualified, and Bautista fit right in that group. The Cards had jumped to a big lead, the Pirates stormed back to go ahead. Bautista came in to retire Pujols with the lead run on base. Not even John Russell's mother was surprised at the outcome.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

1E3F371E353D5A0 wrote: This one is for our Babe Adams who loves stuff like this - and don't ask me how I have remembered this little trivia bit, but I always have.

As much as I'd like to believe you, Pujols could hit another three before he wraps up these next two games.  [highlight]The man's a menace[/highlight].

He's a menace you love to hate! 

Yes. But I'm glad I got to witness his whole career. He's been other-worldly. In my lifetime, Lou Gehrig has been the standard by which all first basemen were measured. Is that the case now?
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Never mess with the Baseball Gods!

Ruth's last 3 HRs

Pujols last 3 HRs

Against the Pirates.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I guess we should be thankful for all those years he didn't play for the Cardinals.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

The Angels gave Pujols a 10-year contract at age 32. Of course he wasn't going to perform for them from ages 32-41 as he had done for St.L. from ages 21-31. In those earlier Cardinals years, he batted .328 and never hit fewer than 32 HRs.

With the Angels Pujols' BA and HRs declined as he aged. In 9+ years he batted .256 and topped 23 HRs only 4 times. In the final year of that contract, he was released in May and signed with the Dodgers but didn't do much for them as a PHer and part time starter.

But going back to St.L. seemed to revive him. It seemed like just a sentimental signing, but he became a valuable piece of that team batting .270 and 3rd on the Cards in both HRs (24) and RBIs (68). And he did that in only 307 ABs. In a full season of about 590 ABs (he had that many or more 10 times in his career) that would extrapolate to 46 HRs. It's great to see him go out on such a high note.