Who is the #13 prospect for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

In a first (at least for this year), all 10 players got at least one vote for the 12 spot, but, in the end, Elias Diaz won by a pretty big margin. Adding Edgar Santana by request. The results so far.

1 Austin Meadows 21 OF AAA

2 Tyler Glasnow 23 SP AAA/MLB

3 Josh Bell 24 1B/OF AAA/MLB

4 Mitch Keller 20 SP A-

5 Kevin Newman 23 SS AA

6 Ke'Bryan Hayes 19 3b A-

7 Nick Kingham 25 SP AAA

8 Cole Tucker 20 SS A+

9 Taylor Hearn 22 SP A-

10 Will Craig 22 3B A-

11 Steven Brault 24 SP MLB

12 Elias Diaz 26 C AAA
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm afraid that Hanson's ceiling is closer to a "25th guy" level player. Someone like Pedro Circiao or other guys that move back and forth between MLB and AAA. I don't really view him as a prospect right now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I picked Hanson. He will get his chance this year as I assume he will be with the major league club. If Harrison stinks, he might get some more playing time.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

4D706E636C666D4F6770616766020 wrote: I'm afraid that Hanson's ceiling is closer to a "25th guy" level player.  Someone like Pedro Circiao or other guys that move back and forth between MLB and AAA. I don't really view him as a prospect right now.
I'm afraid so too. I was very high on him early on. But he just has not been able to produce well at the upper levels, and his inability or the FO's unwillingness to keep him at SS really has taken a toll on his status.

I went with Hinsz here based on his upside and youth. Ogle is close. And Yeudy is intriguing just older.
PMike

Post by PMike »

I went with Garcia again.  I have been picking him for awhile.  I am plagiarizing myself from a few picks ago...

"I went with Garcia.  Lost some of his velocity this year, but increased his K/IP.  His WHIP jumped too doing to giving up more hits and running pitch counts high and giving up a few more walks.  At the end of the season, he went to have his shoulder checked out.  As young as he is, it wouldn't be surprising to see him have (another?) breakout year this year.  Esepcially if he is healthy and the shoulder is back to normal.  The velocity could easily jump to the mid to upper 90s and he's be a top prospect.  He was on that trajectory before last year."
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7A6D7B4C5A5A56390 wrote: I'm afraid that Hanson's ceiling is closer to a "25th guy" level player.  Someone like Pedro Circiao or other guys that move back and forth between MLB and AAA. I don't really view him as a prospect right now.
I'm afraid so too. I was very high on him early on. But he just has not been able to produce well at the upper levels, and his inability or the FO's unwillingness to keep him at SS really has taken a toll on his status.

I went with Hinsz here based on his upside and youth. Ogle is close. And Yeudy is intriguing just older.

I agree about his ceiling, but making it to the majors has to be worth something. Many players don't ever make it.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I cast my first vote for Jhang -- and I don't think he should be at #13, but it's time to raise some awareness. I think Jin-De Jhang is turning himself into a prospect that needs more serious consideration.

I’ll start with what Bucsdugout wrote about him when covering ST catchers this year as I think it represents the prevailing attitude of the pro prospect followers:

“Jin-De Jhang: The best prospect of the Pirates’ non-roster catchers, although that’s not saying much. The Pirates signed Jhang out of Taiwan in 2011, and he’s hit pretty well as he’s moved through the minors, including batting .290/.338/.383 for Altoona last season. He doesn’t hit for much power or draw many walks, although he’s shown he can hit for average, and he isn’t particularly old. He was blocked by Reese McGuire and a rehabbing Stewart for much of last year, though, and only got a total of 227 plate appearances all season, and then the Pirates left him exposed in the Rule 5 Draft. Those are all indications that the Bucs don’t take him that seriously.”

Not old, hits well, doesn't walk, doesn't hit for power and was blocked. And I hardly think the fact he wasn’t protected in the Rule 5 shows the Bucs don’t take him seriously. Why Arizona then?

So let’s look closer at a few of these things and see what’s going on with Jin-De Jhang. After Reese McGuire was traded (and the world as we know it came to a sudden halt) Jhang was freed to play catcher full-time at Altoona where he hit .313/.370/.758 in August and then followed that up in the Arizona League with .319/.389.772 in 47 ABs. While he doesn’t draw walks, he doesn’t K either with only 12 in 204 plate appearances at AA and 5 in the Arizona League. And by playing full-time his walk rate started to warm up.

He has a blocky build at 5’11 and 220 lbs. I remember that the Bucs were trying to get him more flexible a couple of years ago. I have no idea how that has gone. But when he was first signed Jhang was on prospect lists. He was also a curiosity coming from Taiwan. A couple of years later, and only 23, he is no longer on anyone’s lists despite a very good hit tool, a steady rise through the minors and CS rate at 34% for his minor league career -- and 31% at AA last year. Why? Because we signed Reese McGuire and he became the poster boy. So consider this. We have two left-handed hitting catchers at AA. One gets traded and the other puts up really solid numbers in the other’s absence and no one notices. Prospect status has too much to do with where you were drafted. Look at how draft oriented most prospect lists are. Now the high draftee is gone (Altoona .259/.337/.683 CS 39% and .226/.328/.592 after the trade). Is the kid that played behind him actually the better player?

Catchers are well-known late bloomers. Jhang is an extreme contact hitter with a good arm, decent defense (career fielding % at .991) and hits lefty. I’m not sure he’ll ever be an MLB full-time C, but he has a skill set that I think will put him in a Pirates uniform in the next couple of years. Jhang belongs back on prospects lists – and in the OBN Top 20.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

79584D447C455E4D58492C0 wrote: I cast my first vote for Jhang -- and I don't think he should be at #13, but it's time to raise some awareness. I think Jin-De Jhang is turning himself into a prospect that needs more serious consideration.

I’ll start with what Bucsdugout wrote about him when covering ST catchers this year as I think it represents the prevailing attitude of the pro prospect followers:

“Jin-De Jhang: The best prospect of the Pirates’ non-roster catchers, although that’s not saying much. The Pirates signed Jhang out of Taiwan in 2011, and he’s hit pretty well as he’s moved through the minors, including batting .290/.338/.383 for Altoona last season. He doesn’t hit for much power or draw many walks, although he’s shown he can hit for average, and he isn’t particularly old. He was blocked by Reese McGuire and a rehabbing Stewart for much of last year, though, and only got a total of 227 plate appearances all season, and then the Pirates left him exposed in the Rule 5 Draft. Those are all indications that the Bucs don’t take him that seriously.”

Not old, hits well, doesn't walk, doesn't hit for power and was blocked. And I hardly think the fact he wasn’t protected in the Rule 5 shows the Bucs don’t take him seriously. Why Arizona then?

So let’s look closer at a few of these things and see what’s going on with Jin-De Jhang. After Reese McGuire was traded (and the world as we know it came to a sudden halt) Jhang was freed to play catcher full-time at Altoona where he hit .313/.370/.758 in August and then followed that up in the Arizona League with .319/.389.772 in 47 ABs. While he doesn’t draw walks, he doesn’t K either with only 12 in 204 plate appearances at AA and 5 in the Arizona League. And by playing full-time his walk rate started to warm up.

He has a blocky build at 5’11 and 220 lbs. I remember that the Bucs were trying to get him more flexible a couple of years ago. I have no idea how that has gone. But when he was first signed Jhang was on prospect lists. He was also a curiosity coming from Taiwan. A couple of years later, and only 23, he is no longer on anyone’s lists despite a very good hit tool, a steady rise through the minors and CS rate at 34% for his minor league career -- and 31% at AA last year. Why? Because we signed Reese McGuire and he became the poster boy. So consider this. We have two left-handed hitting catchers at AA. One gets traded and the other puts up really solid numbers in the other’s absence and no one notices. Prospect status has too much to do with where you were drafted. Look at how draft oriented most prospect lists are. Now the high draftee is gone (Altoona .259/.337/.683 CS 39% and .226/.328/.592 after the trade). Is the kid that played behind him actually the better player?

Catchers are well-known late bloomers. Jhang is an extreme contact hitter with a good arm, decent defense (career fielding % at .991) and hits lefty. I’m not sure he’ll ever be an MLB full-time C, but he has a skill set that I think will put him in a Pirates uniform in the next couple of years. Jhang belongs back on prospects lists – and in the OBN Top 20.

It would be great if he could turn into a Spanky LaValliere.
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

#14 poll going up this afternoon, don't have time this morning. Adding Escobar.