The Slow Free Agent Movement

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

March 4th and there are still several quality players unsigned such as Lance Lynn and Neil Walker just to name two. If next offseason is similar to this years, the players union will do something to reopen the basic agreement with the owners. They will not permit the snails pace of signing free agents continue until the current CBA expires after 2021.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Agreed that the union will likely step in, but it still takes two parties to do a deal. At work I conduct negotiations, and I often have the other side ask for a commitment to when negotiations will be complete. I can't make a commitment to that though. It is generally based on how much and what the other side asks for. I'm sure Lance Lynn has gotten phone calls.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Royals offered a minor league deal to Walker. He did not accept that offer at this point. Do you blame the Royals or Walker?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: The Royals offered a minor league deal to Walker. He did not accept that offer at this point. Do you blame the Royals or Walker?

neither one. Royals trying to get him cheap and Walker thinking he can do better. No reason for Walker to take Royals deal if he thinks he can do better.

He may end up being this year's Freese.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Could Walker help the Pirates? If so, who could he bump? Freeze, I guess. Walker can play second,third and first. Moran starts at third, JHay at second, and Bell at first, but Walker could be a good backup,and great injury insurance. Freese defense at third is better but he can't play second. Walter's bat is better. May be worth a shot.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

477A777067617A27242D150 wrote: Could Walker help the Pirates? If so, who could he bump? Freeze, I guess. Walker can play second,third and first. Moran starts at third, JHay at second, and Bell at first, but Walker could be a good backup,and great injury insurance. Freese defense at third is better but he can't play second. Walter's bat is better. May be worth a shot.

I would say that Walker isn't enough of an upgrade over Freese to just cut Freese and sign Walker. Any team that would trade for Freese would probably want to sign Walker first.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

He's a pretty bad fit at this point. You don't want Moran looking over his shoulder, and if Moran got off to a slow start people would be howling for Walker.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Why do people think Walker can play 3B (and 1B)?

He played his most 3B when he first entered the league and then six more games in 2010. He has less than 20 starts at 3B in his nine year career.

His first starts at 1B were in 2017. He had less than 20 games at that position too. I am a big fan of Walker, I hated seeing him go, but there are guys with more experience to play those two positions.

Good point about Moran looking over his shoulder. I could see that happening as well if he struggles and the fans would want Walker to start.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5F545C5055544F0A0C7B425A5354541558543B0 wrote: Why do people think Walker can play 3B (and 1B)?

He played his most 3B when he first entered the league and then six more games in 2010.  He has less than 20 starts at 3B in his nine year career.

His first starts at 1B were in 2017.  He had less than 20 games at that position too.  I am a big fan of Walker, I hated seeing him go, but there are guys with more experience to play those two positions. 

Good point about Moran looking over his shoulder.  I could see that happening as well if he struggles and the fans would want Walker to start.

don't know for sure if he could play third. However, it is the position he played the most in the minors.