Free Agent Starting Pitching Getting Really Thin

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Entering the current manic period in which all teams now find themselves, I viewed the Pirates number 1 need as another starter, even someone who clearly would be a short-term rental.

In looking at the MLB free agent tracker, not much remains. Tyler Anderson appears to be the best option, or perhaps Drew Smyly. That said, I doubt that either would fall to the Bucs with so many teams still in the hunt for pitching.

Oh well, looks like I will need to prepare myself for a steady diet of not ready for prime time pitching. Quite a few arms on the team, but also limited talent.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

* Our projected starting SS is a .200 hitter

* We need about 3 legitimate starting pitchers to go along with the 0 that we currently have.

We need all of that ... but we're heading into the season as is.

It's embarrassing.

And it's going to be painful ... especially because for EVERY SINGLE GAME OF THE SEASON we'll be sending a guy to the mound who, at best, is a No. 5 starter. And most of our starting pitchers aren't even at that level.

I'm feeling 52-110 ... because the team isn't even attempting to be good.

I don't blame Cherington. He's a good baseball guy and he's not an idiot. I blame Nutting 100%. Cherington's hands are tied and he's not allowed to do his job, which involves spending money.

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

183A29343732353A192E3838345B0 wrote: This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

* We need about 3 legitimate starting pitchers to go along with the 0 that we currently have.

It's embarrassing.

And it's going to be painful ... especially because for EVERY SINGLE GAME OF THE SEASON we'll be sending a guy to the mound who, at best, is a No. 5 starter. And most of our starting pitchers aren't even at that level.

I don't blame Cherington. He's a good baseball guy and he's not an idiot. I blame Nutting 100%. Cherington's hands are tied  and he's not allowed to do his job, which involves spending money.

I’m with you completely on your assessment. Cherington’s employing his best option for making the Pirates competitive. Unfortunately, that competitiveness won’t come until maybe next season.

He’s been given no money to build a major league roster so he has to do the next best thing: rebuild the organization from top to bottom, with new and better methods taught by coaches who are good at what they do, and by acquiring talent that is better than what Huntington left him. So far he’s done both. Anyone who was expecting an immediate improvement in the major league team just wasn’t paying attention.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Meanwhile, we have other teams out there that say the same things about their methods for being competitive next year, too. :((((
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1E3C2F323134333C1F283E3E325D0 wrote: This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

It's embarrassing.

I don't blame Cherington. He's a good baseball guy and he's not an idiot. I blame Nutting 100%. Cherington's hands are tied  and he's not allowed to do his job, which involves spending money.
Like last year, the starting pitching looks putrid. It's hard to see anyone in the rotation not having a bad year. As for the rest, this should be a season of transition as prospects in the pipeline begin to fill spots on the Pirates. Newman is nothing more than a placeholder for Cruz (or Peguero). Cruz could also end up in RF. He has the arm for it, has made a lot of errors at SS in the minors and has a better SS in Peguero about a year behind him. They want to see what they have in Chavis who can play 2B or OF. And Alford, who plays OF. Rodolfo Castro is a possibility for 2B. OFer Matt Frazier had an outstanding year at A+ and AA last year and will likely be in AAA this year. He could be called up to the Pirates at some time this year. Then there's Hoy Park and Tucupita Marcano, prospects obtained in trades last year who can play inf or OF. And while I don't have much faith in Tucker or Oliva, the Pirates don't seem to have given up on them......yet.

The point is, this is the direction the team is taking for 2022. They are committed to building from within and are not going to look outside the organization for veterans to fill needs at 2B, SS or OF when they have been acquiring prospects to fill those spots. We're no longer talking about prospects who are 3 or 4 years away. For a lot of them it's time to prove themselves. Now or never. And while I can muster some optimism that enough of them will become productive major leaguers, the pitching situation looks hopeless.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

153931363D1A2D3B2B580 wrote: Entering the current manic period in which all teams now find themselves, I viewed the Pirates number 1 need as another starter, even someone who clearly would be a short-term rental.

In looking at the MLB free agent tracker, not much remains.   Tyler Anderson appears to be the best option, or perhaps Drew Smyly.  That said, I doubt that either would fall to the Bucs with so many teams still in the hunt for pitching.   

Oh well, looks like I will need to prepare myself for a steady diet of not ready for prime time pitching.   Quite a few arms on the team, but also limited talent.
Mainer, I'm still holding out hope for Anderson, but if they don't pull the trigger soon we'll lose out. He was our best last year.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0E232E3F38293E7E7D4C0 wrote: This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

It's embarrassing.

Like last year, the starting pitching looks putrid. It's hard to see anyone in the rotation not having a bad year. As for the rest, this should be a season of transition as prospects in the pipeline begin to fill spots on the Pirates. Newman is nothing more than a placeholder for Cruz (or Peguero). Cruz could also end up in RF. He has the arm for it, has made a lot of errors at SS in the minors and has a better SS in Peguero about a year behind him. They want to see what they have in Chavis who can play 2B or OF. And Alford, who plays OF. Rodolfo Castro is a possibility for 2B. OFer Matt Frazier had an outstanding year at A+ and AA last year and will likely be in AAA this year. He could be called up to the Pirates at some time this year. Then there's Hoy Park and Tucupita Marcano, prospects obtained in trades last year who can play inf or OF. And while I don't have much faith in Tucker or Oliva, the Pirates don't seem to have given up on them......yet.

The point is, this is the direction the team is taking for 2022. They are committed to building from within and are not going to look outside the organization for veterans to fill needs at 2B, SS or OF when they have been acquiring prospects to fill those spots. We're no longer talking about prospects who are 3 or 4 years away. For a lot of them it's time to prove themselves. Now or never. And while I can muster some optimism that enough of them will become productive major leaguers, the pitching situation looks hopeless. 

This!

This is what we were expecting last summer for 2022 - a transition year.  Been saying for a couple years that 2023 is when we actually compete.  I’m looking forward to watch the team call up the young guys.  Regarding starting pitching…I expect FA or a trade for a starter in 2023. 

I had a chance to talk to BC over the winter.  He does not look or talk like somebody that is just keeping the owner happy.  He plans to win and win big. 
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

My concern isn't as much with acquisition, though that's bad enough.  It's with retention.

Pre-arbs will do only so much.  I think we can get a FF.  BOB has given 0 indication that we will see him replace the future FF with a Matt Olson-like arrangement.  BTW, one player can do only so much, too.  So....this juror's deliberating.

Closer to the A's than we are to the Braves. :(
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

7E796F67697E39354C6B616D6560226F63610C0 wrote: This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

It's embarrassing.

This!

This is what we were expecting last summer for 2022 - a transition year.  Been saying for a couple years that 2023 is when we actually compete.  I’m looking forward to watch the team call up the young guys.  Regarding starting pitching…I expect FA or a trade for a starter in 2023. 

I had a chance to talk to BC over the winter.  He does not look or talk like somebody that is just keeping the owner happy.  He plans to win and win big.  I agree with you VA I like the direction Cherrington is going so far and more importantly the players they have coming up in the system within the next 2 years. Guys like Cruz,Priester, Contreras, Mlodzinski, Gonzales, Puguero, Burrows, Endy Rodriguez, Hudson Head, Brennan Malone, Kyle Nicolas,and guys from this past draft like Davis, Chandler, Solometo, White Jr, and guys that could be ready this year like Mason Martin, Matt Fraizer, Cal Mitchell, Swaggerty, Ji-hwan Bae just to name a few. There are players and pieces in place within the next 2-3 years I feel this team can be very good by 2024.

Now will all these guys hit probably not but there are enough solid top of the line players in that list I just mentioned above for me to believe that they are gonna be able to field a solid team here moving forward in the next few seasons and get back to competing for the playoffs much like they did in 2013, 2014, and 2015. This year will still be a struggle but I do believe we will see a lot of the younger players start to come up toward seasons end and by next season the days of losing 90-100 games should be done and we will start to see a team that will probably at least be ready to play around .500 ball or slightly better and maybe even compete for one of the 6 playoff spots.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6B464B5A5D4C5B1B18290 wrote: This is a rhetorical question because we all know the answer, but is this team going to do anything (meaningful) prior to opening day ??

Let's see ...

* We still need a RF

* We need a 2B

It's embarrassing.

RF? Polanco? :D