2023 Baseball Draft

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Can someone explain to me how the 2023 Baseball Draft will work?I know the Pirates, Nats, and Athletics have a 16.5 % chance on getting the first pick. Is the process like the Lottery where they use ping pong balls? Do they pull team names from a ticket bin? I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just would like to know how MLB will determine the first several picks of the first round during this year’s Winter Meetings.
DemDog

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by DemDog »

I would assume that there are envelopes with the name of one team on each envelope. At some point, the Commissioner will randomly pick one of the envelopes, open it, and reveal the winner. This continues through the first 6 picks. At that point, the remaining teams draft in reverse or of wins as usual.
fjk090852-7

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by fjk090852-7 »

6C4D456C474F280 wrote: I would assume that there are envelopes with the name of one team on each envelope.  At some point, the Commissioner will randomly pick one of the envelopes, open it, and reveal the winner.  This continues through the first 6 picks.  At that point, the remaining teams draft in reverse or of wins as usual.
Thanks Possum your explanation is the first I have seen or heard how the process will occur. Selecting the draft for the first group of teams will be an interesting part of this year’s Winter Meetings.
3pirates3

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by 3pirates3 »

I looked earlier and couldn't find anything about how they are conducting the lottery. I believe other leagues only use envelopes as a visual after the actual numbers are drawn earlier from a lottery ball machine.
ArnoldRothstein

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

I don't know how it's going to work, but I don't think it's envelopes or ping pong balls or such. All of the non-playoff teams have a shot at the No. 1 pick. The bottom three teams each have a 16.5% chance. The Brewers, with 18th worst record, have 0.23% chance. I could be completely wrong but for me those tiny percentages imply some kind of electronic resolution:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/ ... lized.html

The first six picks get selected by lottery, then worst record order kicks in. Again I could be completely wrong, but it seems the Pirates could theoretically pick as low as No. 9?
2drfischer@gmail.c

2023 Baseball Draft

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

665549484B437548534F5453424E49270 wrote: I don't know how it's going to work, but I don't think it's envelopes or ping pong balls or such. All of the non-playoff teams have a shot at the No. 1 pick. The bottom three teams each have a 16.5% chance. The Brewers, with 18th worst record, have 0.23% chance. I could be completely wrong but for me those tiny percentages imply some kind of electronic resolution:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/10/ ... lized.html

The first six picks get selected by lottery, then worst record order kicks in. Again I could be completely wrong, but it seems the Pirates could theoretically pick as low as No. 9?

Yikes!  I thought the three worst teams would receive one of the first three picks.  Then the fourth, fifth, and sixth worst teams would receive one of the next three picks.  Then all the other teams would go in reverse order.  I need to read up on this thing.

I just read the article linked above. I was completely wrong regarding what I thought was going to happen. I blame the poor public school education I received.