Getting the Band Back Together

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

I just knew the Padres didn't want to keep Adam Frazier, but he ended up in Seattle! Still, there are other former Pirates we can and should try to bring back.

The club's interest in Rich Rodriguez is encouraging, but what's the reason for delay? Sign him to a 2M+ minor league deal with the obvious implication that he'll make the 26-man as a late innings reliever. His fancy stats sucked in Atlanta, but RichRod has always pitched well at PNC. Roll the dice!

Next? No, it's NOT Andrew McCutchen. It's Reese McGuire. The Blue Jays are loaded at catcher. The Bucs are loaded at middle infield. McGuire has no options, which pushes down his trade value a bit. Ji-Hwan Bae for McGuire? Tucupita Marcano? (I'm trying to get rid of him.)

Tyler Anderson was easily our best starter las year, and BC says he wants to sign another starter Pay the man! Would 10M for 2 years get it done?

Finally, corner OF Alex Dickerson was released by the Giants. He's a decent stick at a position of need, unless you're dead certain that Swaggerty or Cruz is MLB ready. I wonder if we could sign him to a MiLB contract during these slow times.

Are you listening BC? Can you get me at least one of these former Buccos? And what do you guys think?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

604A41714650505C330 wrote: I just knew the Padres didn't want to keep Adam Frazier, but he ended up in Seattle! Still, there are other former Pirates we can and should try to bring back.

The club's interest in Rich Rodriguez is encouraging, but what's the reason for delay? Sign him to a 2M+ minor league deal with the obvious implication that he'll make the 26-man as a late innings reliever. His fancy stats sucked in Atlanta, but RichRod has always pitched well at PNC. Roll the dice!

Next? No, it's NOT Andrew McCutchen. It's Reese McGuire. The Blue Jays are loaded at catcher. The Bucs are loaded at middle infield. McGuire has no options, which pushes down his trade value a bit. Ji-Hwan Bae for McGuire? Tucupita Marcano? (I'm trying to get rid of him.)

Tyler Anderson was easily our best starter las year, and BC says he wants to sign another starter  Pay the man! Would 10M for 2 years get it done?

Finally, corner OF Alex Dickerson was released by the Giants. He's a decent stick at a position of need, unless you're dead certain that Swaggerty or Cruz is MLB ready. I wonder if we could sign him to a MiLB contract during these slow times.

Are you listening BC? Can you get me at least one of these former Buccos? And what do you guys think?

I'd be okay with Rodriguez coming back, but only as a set-up man to Bednar. Bednar looks like the future closer so let him learn the job now while there's no pressure.

I'm all for bringing Anderson back. If he performs well, BC would likely deal him again. If he doesn't do well, it won't matter because the team will finish below .500 anyway. Either way, he'll eat innings and serve as a mentor to the young guys.

McGuire would be an okay addition as a back-up. He has some major league experience, although I'm unfamiliar with his defensive abilities.

I think I'd rather have Dickerson than some of the guys Shelton was using last year and still remain on the roster, like Alford. I think he might serve as a better 4th outfielder, too, once a younger player is ready to become a starter.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Rodriguez - I offered comment on this in another thread. Okay with bringing him back, as long as he is not the anointed closer. I would like to see the Bucs use multiple pitchers in the closer - late inning role: Bednar, Stratton, and if he is a Buc, Rodriguez.

McGuire - Bucs need another catcher. If the cost in a trade is low, McGuire could be a reasonable target, although he likely wouldn't offer much offense.

Anderson - If he is up for another spin with the Bucs, I too believe he could be a good addition to the starting staff. Perhaps 2 years and $10 mil could get it done, although I believe that BC likely will prefer 1 year deals.

Dickerson - I would just as soon see the Bucs pass on him. That said, while his stats dropped off last year, they equal of exceed Gamel's. So, if he is cheap, and because he doesn't require trading a player to the Giants, perhaps he is worth a whirl. He also could see at-bats in the DH (yuck) role next year.

None of the above players would do much to improve the team's overall win - loss record, but they would represent players who have experience who could provide another several months for the team's better prospects to gain more experience in the minors. The new CBA could be a real factor in when the Pirates would look at bringing its better prospects to the majors, and could factor into any decision to bring in more veterans.

Also don't see many roster issues: Rodriguez takes Ponce's spot, Anderson takes Hanhold's, Dickerson takes Allen's, and another of the pitchers goes for McGuire.

Sure hope they settle the lock-out early in 2022. Lots of players still looking for jobs next year, and teams need some time to assemble their rosters for the 2022 season.
BellevueBuc

Post by BellevueBuc »

Rodriguez started to fall apart when he was with Pittsburgh. I don't know if you were serious with the question about his delay, but he is a member of the MLBPA, so he is currently locked out by the owners.

I would have no issue adding McGuire. A backup catcher that is not completely inept with the bat is a good idea. If they decide they want that, they always have Perez to fall back on. Marcano is probably not enough, and Cherington apparently likes him. Bae is probably too much, but then you get his issues sent somewhere else.

Do you mean $10M per year for Anderson? Andrew Haney got $8.5M and he was terrible last year. $10M might not even be enough.

If they were going to start Swaggerty and Njiba Smith in the majors, Dickerson might make some sense to stash in AAA. Probably a better option to hit than Greg Allen, but Dickerson can barely play LF. Same with Corey Dickerson.

Similar to the middle infield, the Pirates have 6-9 OF options they need to run through to see who has a future. Most of the OFs have no MLB experience, unlike the MIFs, but they need to stop bringing in fringe guys with no future to play over actual prospects.