Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

702630242B31212A273002252F232B2E6C21420 wrote: This has always been an enjoyable thread, dating back to its days on the PMB. I miss 21thebest, who could always find a way to pick a nonsensical fight with Kovie and Doc.
___

Who were you on the PMB?

I forget what my sign in name was. I was mostly a lurker, as I am here.

I do recall writing a post (and perhaps you recall this as well) about Wyatt Toregas that GCF could not wrap his head around, even though my point was as simple one: all clubs sign AAAA catchers in advance of ST. Praising NH for doing so that he avoids having to use 8 catchers as he did in the season of Wyatt Toregas and Dusty Brown is goofy because that scenario is almost certainly never going to happen again. Nor should it have been a reason to sarcastically comment with "Name of AAAA catcher = championships" because nearly every team makes similar signings. The correct reaction is no reaction at all. Such signings happen every spring and should warrant no strong comment either way.

Anyway, in order to make my point I had done a bunch of research to illuminate my obscure question: how often does a team actually use 8 catchers in a season? I reported on that data in my original post, along with my thoughts on the three types of reactions. I had also done some google research to capture actual reactions from  blogs and message boards to those AAAA signings, which I didn't bother revealing in my original post.

I figured the thread would pass relatively unnoticed. But then Alvarez09 chimed in by saying that no one ever had praised NH for such as signing. In response, I posted a couple of quotes from the research that I'd done in which Tim from P2 and Charlie from BD had done just that - praised NH in the name of avoiding an 8 catcher season. Alvy couldn't handle it and lost his mind, calling me a troll because I'd obviously and quickly proven him wrong. I was dumbfounded. I was expecting no comments at all. How could I have known the first comment was going to be so utterly and totally wrong? I defended myself against troll accusations by denying clairvoyance or any foreknowledge into just how wrong Alvy was going to be.

Then, GCF stepped into the fray. Clearly in over his head, he either misrepresented what I wrote or misunderstood what I wrote. Or both. He kept asking me what my point was and when I pointed back to my original post as being my only point, he wouldn't believe me. He thought I had somehow intentionally trapped Alvarez09 into looking foolish. Hilarity ensued and the thread lived for a week or so with me mostly repeating myself over and over to GCF who seemingly could not understand the words on the screen. I was surprised that something so simple became such a point of contention. It gave me some insight into the illogic that was behind so many of the posts on that site. It was entertaining and amusing. I'm sure if I had access to that thread and read through it again, I'd laugh out loud several times. Its too bad the whole thing got torched.

This brought a smile to my face.  I don't remember your post back then but your description of what ensued is classic stuff from Alvy and GCF.  There wasn't anything those two didn't think they knew.  I've never met anyone more contentious.

Maybe he is a new more contrite Alvy

Alvy would never apologize nor admit he was wrong even when the proof and facts were overwhelming, which they usually were.

You can rest easy doc. In today's PG, Polanco said he is ready.I hope he means ready to order the moving Van
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

1A2421293A222229092C3B287F4D0 wrote:

You can rest easy doc. In today's PG, Polanco said he is ready. I hope he means ready to order the moving Van
Yes, he says he wants to make more contact with the ball this year. That's probably a good idea. ::)
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

7B4540485B434348684D5A491E2C0 wrote: This has always been an enjoyable thread, dating back to its days on the PMB. I miss 21thebest, who could always find a way to pick a nonsensical fight with Kovie and Doc.
___

Who were you on the PMB?

I do recall writing a post (and perhaps you recall this as well) about Wyatt Toregas that GCF could not wrap his head around, even though my point was as simple one: all clubs sign AAAA catchers in advance of ST. Praising NH for doing so that he avoids having to use 8 catchers as he did in the season of Wyatt Toregas and Dusty Brown is goofy because that scenario is almost certainly never going to happen again. Nor should it have been a reason to sarcastically comment with "Name of AAAA catcher = championships" because nearly every team makes similar signings. The correct reaction is no reaction at all. Such signings happen every spring and should warrant no strong comment either way.

Anyway, in order to make my point I had done a bunch of research to illuminate my obscure question: how often does a team actually use 8 catchers in a season? I reported on that data in my original post, along with my thoughts on the three types of reactions. I had also done some google research to capture actual reactions from  blogs and message boards to those AAAA signings, which I didn't bother revealing in my original post.

I figured the thread would pass relatively unnoticed. But then Alvarez09 chimed in by saying that no one ever had praised NH for such as signing. In response, I posted a couple of quotes from the research that I'd done in which Tim from P2 and Charlie from BD had done just that - praised NH in the name of avoiding an 8 catcher season. Alvy couldn't handle it and lost his mind, calling me a troll because I'd obviously and quickly proven him wrong. I was dumbfounded. I was expecting no comments at all. How could I have known the first comment was going to be so utterly and totally wrong? I defended myself against troll accusations by denying clairvoyance or any foreknowledge into just how wrong Alvy was going to be.

Then, GCF stepped into the fray. Clearly in over his head, he either misrepresented what I wrote or misunderstood what I wrote. Or both. He kept asking me what my point was and when I pointed back to my original post as being my only point, he wouldn't believe me. He thought I had somehow intentionally trapped Alvarez09 into looking foolish. Hilarity ensued and the thread lived for a week or so with me mostly repeating myself over and over to GCF who seemingly could not understand the words on the screen. I was surprised that something so simple became such a point of contention. It gave me some insight into the illogic that was behind so many of the posts on that site. It was entertaining and amusing. I'm sure if I had access to that thread and read through it again, I'd laugh out loud several times. Its too bad the whole thing got torched.

This brought a smile to my face.  I don't remember your post back then but your description of what ensued is classic stuff from Alvy and GCF.  There wasn't anything those two didn't think they knew.  I've never met anyone more contentious.

Alvy would never apologize nor admit he was wrong even when the proof and facts were overwhelming, which they usually were.

You can rest easy doc. In today's PG, Polanco said he is ready.I hope he means ready to order the moving Van

We've heard those words from him before, after each of his miserable seasons. I lost interest and faith in him long ago. I just want him to do really well into June so some sap GM will take him in a trade. My dislike for him as a player rivals what I felt for Ronnie Cedeno.
PirateGold

Off Season Thread

Post by PirateGold »

2D7B6D79766C7C777A6D5F78727E7673317C1F0 wrote: This has always been an enjoyable thread, dating back to its days on the PMB. I miss 21thebest, who could always find a way to pick a nonsensical fight with Kovie and Doc.
___

Who were you on the PMB?

Which is really amazing to think about given how often 3P3 was coming up with old Alvy posts that contradicted some post that Alvy had just made. Seems like that was happening weekly.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

1A23382B3E2F0D25262E4A0 wrote: This has always been an enjoyable thread, dating back to its days on the PMB. I miss 21thebest, who could always find a way to pick a nonsensical fight with Kovie and Doc.
___

Who were you on the PMB?

Which is really amazing to think about given how often 3P3 was coming up with old Alvy posts that contradicted some post that Alvy had just made. Seems like that was happening weekly.

3P was hysterical on the PMB. He had Alvy twisted in knots.
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

It's Ryan Tepera tot eh Cubs for a 1.5. What say you WWD?

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5),Musgrive(2,5),Profar(2),Melancon(2.5)

--Davies(3.5),Kela(2.5),Tatis(4)................................29.5

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3),Luchesi(1),Loup(2),Almora(1.5),Villar(2)

--Pillar(3),Walker(3)................................................29.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5),Bradley(3)

--Realmuto(5),Moore(2),Gregorius(3),Anderson(2)

--Miller(2.5)............................................................24.5

Yankees - Britton(3),Kuber(4.5),Taillon(2),)'Day(2),Lemahieu(4)

--Wilson(2.5),Gardner(2.5)........................................20.5

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1),Chatwood(2),Yates(3),Springer(5)

--Semien(3.5),Matz(1),Phelps(2.5)...............................20

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).......

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2),Wood(1.5),LaStella((2.5)

--McGee(2.5),Sanchez(2).............................................19

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5),Bass(2)Duvall(3),Floro(2)

--Curtis(2.5)Duvall(3)...................................................17

Athletics-Andrus(2.5),Fiers(2),Ko;arek(2),Petit(2.5),Romo(2)

--Rosenthal(3.5),Moreland(2.5).....................................17

Cubs - Rizzo(3),Romine(1),Stewart(.5),Williams(1.5),Chafin(1.5)

--Pederson(2),Marisnick(1),Arrieta(2.5),Workman(1)

--Tepera(1.5).............................................................15.5

Angels-Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2),Suzuki(1),Quintana(2.5)

--Cobb(2),Fowler(1.5)Slegers(1)....................................15

Dodgers Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3),Bauer(5),Turner(3.5).15

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5),Hernandez(2.5)

--Rosario(3.5),Perez(2)................................................14

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5),Ozuna(5)

--Lamb(1)...................................................................14

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarber(3),Lester(2)

--Zimmerman(1),Hand(3),Avila(.5)...............................13.5

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Archer(2)

--Hill(2.5),McHugh(1),Drake(1),Roe(2)..........................13.5

Red Sox Renfroe(2),Andriese(2),Perez(2),Richards(3),Ottavino(1)-

--Gonzalez(2),Sawamura(1)...........................................13

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2),Hernandez(2)

--Giles(2.5),Paxton(3).................................................12.5

Twins - Simmons(3.5),Cruz(3),Colome(2.5),Andersen(1.5)

--Shoemaker(1)..........................................................11.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5)

--Foltynewicz(2),Davis(2.5)........................................11

Cardinals - Wainwrighjt(3),Arenado(5),Molina(2.5)....................10.5

Astros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5),Brantley(3),Castro(1)......................9.5

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5),Rodon(.5)...........9.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2),Soria(3),Cabrera(2),Clippard(2.5)..........9.5

Royals Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5),Benintendi(1.5)...........8.5

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2),Ramos(2),Schoop(2),Mazara(1.5).8.5

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1),Wong(2),Anderson(2.5)..............6

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5),Galvis(2)................................................4.5

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5),Perez(1),Doolittle(1)4.5

Pirates - Andersen(2.5)............................................................2.5

Rockies - Stephenson(.5),Gomber(2).........................................2.5

Cherington is celebrating National Sleeping Day a day early.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3D262B2A232F204E0 wrote: It's Ryan Tepera tot eh Cubs for a 1.5.  What say you WWD?

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5),Musgrive(2,5),Profar(2),Melancon(2.5)

--Davies(3.5),Kela(2.5),Tatis(4)................................29.5

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3),Luchesi(1),Loup(2),Almora(1.5),Villar(2)

--Pillar(3),Walker(3)................................................29.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5),Bradley(3)

--Realmuto(5),Moore(2),Gregorius(3),Anderson(2)

--Miller(2.5)............................................................24.5

Yankees - Britton(3),Kuber(4.5),Taillon(2),)'Day(2),Lemahieu(4)

--Wilson(2.5),Gardner(2.5)........................................20.5

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1),Chatwood(2),Yates(3),Springer(5)

--Semien(3.5),Matz(1),Phelps(2.5)...............................20

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).......

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2),Wood(1.5),LaStella((2.5)

--McGee(2.5),Sanchez(2).............................................19

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5),Bass(2)Duvall(3),Floro(2)

--Curtis(2.5)Duvall(3)...................................................17

Athletics-Andrus(2.5),Fiers(2),Ko;arek(2),Petit(2.5),Romo(2)

--Rosenthal(3.5),Moreland(2.5).....................................17

Cubs - Rizzo(3),Romine(1),Stewart(.5),Williams(1.5),Chafin(1.5)

--Pederson(2),Marisnick(1),Arrieta(2.5),Workman(1)

--Tepera(1.5).............................................................15.5

Angels-Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2),Suzuki(1),Quintana(2.5)

--Cobb(2),Fowler(1.5)Slegers(1)....................................15

Dodgers  Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3),Bauer(5),Turner(3.5).15

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5),Hernandez(2.5)

--Rosario(3.5),Perez(2)................................................14

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5),Ozuna(5)

--Lamb(1)...................................................................14

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarber(3),Lester(2)

--Zimmerman(1),Hand(3),Avila(.5)...............................13.5

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Archer(2)

--Hill(2.5),McHugh(1),Drake(1),Roe(2)..........................13.5

Red Sox  Renfroe(2),Andriese(2),Perez(2),Richards(3),Ottavino(1)-

--Gonzalez(2),Sawamura(1)...........................................13

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2),Hernandez(2)

--Giles(2.5),Paxton(3).................................................12.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5)

--Foltynewicz(2),Davis(2.5)........................................11

Cardinals - Wainwrighjt(3),Arenado(5),Molina(2.5)....................10.5

Astros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5),Brantley(3),Castro(1)......................9.5

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5),Rodon(.5)...........9.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2),Soria(3),Cabrera(2),Clippard(2.5)..........9.5

Royals   Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5),Benintendi(1.5)...........8.5

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2),Ramos(2),Schoop(2),Mazara(1.5).8.5

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1),Wong(2),Anderson(2.5)..............6

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5),Galvis(2)................................................4.5

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5),Perez(1),Doolittle(1)4.5

Pirates - Andersen(2.5)............................................................2.5

Rockies - Stephenson(.5),Gomber(2).........................................2.5

Cherington is celebrating National Sleeping Day a day early.
Ryan Tepera 1.5
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Really good article in today's Post-Gazette about baseball during the 1970s, how good it was because of the number of Hall of Famers who played during those years, and how many of them have passed away over the past 14 months. 

Pete Rose made an interesting observation about how many HOF pitchers he faced, and how he might face Sutton in LA, Perry and Marichal in SF, and then Gibson and Carleton in StL all in one road trip.  Imagine how good of a hitter one had to be to stay in the big leagues when facing that kind of pitching routinely.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

277167737C66767D7067557278747C793B76150 wrote: Really good article in today's Post-Gazette about baseball during the 1970s, how good it was because of the number of Hall of Famers who played during those years, and how many of them have passed away over the past 14 months. 

Pete Rose made an interesting observation about how many HOF pitchers he faced, and how he might face Sutton in LA, Perry and Marichal in SF, and then Gibson and Carleton in StL all in one road trip.  Imagine how good of a hitter one had to be to stay in the big leagues when facing that kind of pitching routinely.
I am sure that you faced that kind of pitching on your recent trip to Florida. :D ;D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

1927222A3921212A0A2F382B7C4E0 wrote: Really good article in today's Post-Gazette about baseball during the 1970s, how good it was because of the number of Hall of Famers who played during those years, and how many of them have passed away over the past 14 months. 

I am sure that you faced that kind of pitching on your recent trip to Florida.  :D ;D

When did you become such a smartass?