Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

2D6E776C7F6A7B6D2D1E0 wrote: "Were those trades made for the purpose of getting those salaries off the books?" Yes.   

Cherington's admirers made it clear those players (and others like Frazier) were trade targets due to their salaries regardless of their performance.
I'm not sure who those "Cherington admirers" experts are but another question would be:

Which Pirates constituted sufficient trade bait from which to acquire prospects if not the ones who were traded? Naturally, those who built up enough of a track record over a few years to be attractive to other GMs would also be the players with the highest salaries (which in the case of the Pirates, isn't saying much).

So if Cherington was to attempt to acquire prospects for the depleted system he inherited but was not interested in dumping the salaries of Marte, Bell, Musgrove and Taillon, which lesser paid players could be sufficient traded bait to restock the minors?
DemDog

Off Season Thread

Post by DemDog »

1124333338013333383F33560 wrote: Yankees send Ottavino and a minor leaguer to Boston.

Very good article By Paul Zeise in Monday's PG about the Pirates. Shedman and Weenie might throw up!! Did I get your attention? :D ;D :D ;D

I don't subscribe to the PG.  I read the Trib because I'm not required to register.  I'll read it if someone sends it.

Not sure what anyone can write about the franchise's way that all of us don't already know, but I'll allow for the possibility.

And you have the gall to call BOB and BC cheap! Weenie your stinginess takes the cake!
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

3B78617A697C6D7B3B080 wrote: "depleted system he inherited" ... "restock the minors"

What happened to the "waves of talent" that those same people bragged about when they were kissing up to Huntington instead of Cherington?  They can't have it both ways.

MLB will hold a pre-draft combine in June.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/307 ... ource-says

I don't know who was "kissing up to Huntington" or are "Cherington admirers." I don't recall any "waves of talent." The cupboard has been bare these past few years. All of that seems superfluous to the issue, which is the question of whether these recent trades are salary dumps or legit attempts to use the best trading chips to restock the system with prospects.

So I will ask again, if they held onto Marte, Musgrove, Bell and Taillon, what lower salaried players could they use as legit trading chips?
shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

It's Adam Ottavino tot eh Red Sox for a 1.  What say you WWD and GW?

The current standings are:

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3),Luchesi(1).............................................18

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1),Chatwood(2),Yates(3),Springer(5).......16

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5),Musgrive(2,5),Profar(2)........                         16

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarber(3),Lester(2)

--Zimmerman(1),Hand(3).............................................13

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).................

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2),Wood(1.5)..................................12

Angels-Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2),Suzuki(1),Quintana(2.5)10.5

Red Sox  Renfroe(2),Andriese(2),Perez(2),Richards(3),Ottavino(1).10

Yankees - Britton(3),Kuber(4.5),Taillon(2).................................9.5

Asros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5),Brantley(3),Castro(1)......................9.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5),Bradley(3)..............9

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5)............................9

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Davies(3.5)........................8.5

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5)...............  8

Royals - Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5)...................................7

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2),Hernandez(2)..........7

Dodgers  Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3)................................6.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5).....6.5

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5).............................6.5

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5),Bass(2)...................................6.5            

Cubs - Rizzo(3),Romine(1).........................................................4

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5),Perez(1).................3.5

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2)...................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1)..............................................1.5

Rockies - Stephenson(.5).........................................................0.5

Two guys who didn't make it to heaven were walking the streets down below, when all of a sudden it started to snow.  One said to the other, the Pirates must have won a Division Championship.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

1F3E361F343C5B0 wrote: Yankees send Ottavino and a minor leaguer to Boston.

Very good article By Paul Zeise in Monday's PG about the Pirates. Shedman and Weenie might throw up!! Did I get your attention? :D ;D :D ;D

I don't subscribe to the PG.  I read the Trib because I'm not required to register.  I'll read it if someone sends it.

Not sure what anyone can write about the franchise's way that all of us don't already know, but I'll allow for the possibility.

And you have the gall to call BOB and BC cheap!  Weenie your stinginess takes the cake! 

Animal Farm: False Accusation! ;)

It's not that I won't pay. I won't register or subscribe. There are enough places to obtain information without giving personal information. The Trib's the one that I use for western-Pennsylvania- related inforamtion, on-line.
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

685D4A4A41784A4A41464A2F0 wrote: Yankees send Ottavino and a minor leaguer to Boston.

They will allow myou to read 15 free

I dont subscribe to the PG.  I read the Trib because I'm not required to register.  I'll read it if someone sends it.

They will allow you to read 15 free articles
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

69727F7E777B741A0 wrote: It's Adam Ottavino tot eh Red Sox for a 1.  What say you WWD and GW?

The current standings are:

Mets - Stroman(3.5),Williams(1),May(2.5),McCann(2.5),Lindor(4.5)

--Carrascvo(3),Luchesi(1).............................................18

Blue Jays- Dolis(2),Ray(1),Chatwood(2),Yates(3),Springer(5).......16

Padres - O'Grady(.5),Snell(4.5),Kim(1).,Darvish(4.5),Caratini(.5).

--Kim(1.5),Musgrive(2,5),Profar(2)........                         16

Nationals - Harrison(1),Clay(1),Bell(2),Schwarber(3),Lester(2)

--Zimmerman(1),Hand(3).............................................13

Giants - Vosler(1),Gausman(2),Wisler(2),Desclafini(2.5).................

--Brebbia(1),Casale(2),Wood(1.5)..................................12

Angels-Iglesias(2).Iglesias(3),Claidio(2),Suzuki(1),Quintana(2.5)10.5

Red Sox  Renfroe(2),Andriese(2),Perez(2),Richards(3),Ottavino(1).10

Yankees - Britton(3),Kuber(4.5),Taillon(2).................................9.5

Asros - Gurriel(3),Baez(2.5),Brantley(3),Castro(1)......................9.5

Phillies - Neris(3),Alvarado(2.5.)Coonrod(0.5),Bradley(3)..............9

White Sox - Lynn(4),Eaton(2.5),Hendricks(2.5)............................9

Rays - Zunino(2),Wacha(2),Mejia(1),Davies(3.5)........................8.5

Braves - Almonte (.5),Tomlin(2),Smyly(3),Morton(2.5)...............  8

Royals - Minor(2.5),Taylor(1),Holland(3.5)...................................7

Mariners - Graveman(1),Flexen(2),Montero(2),Hernandez(2)..........7

Dodgers  Knebel(1),Kahnle(2.5),Treinen(3)................................6.5

Rangers -,Gotto(.5),Dunning(1.5),Lowe(1),Dahl(3),Arihara(.5).....6.5

Indians - Perez(2.5),Gimenez(2),Rosario(1.5).............................6.5

Marlins - Marte(3),Detwiler(1.5),Bass(2)...................................6.5            

Cubs - Rizzo(3),Romine(1).........................................................4

Reds - Hoffman-(.5),Ramirez(1.5),Garcia(.5),Perez(1).................3.5

Tigers - Urena(1),Grossman(2)...................................................3

Orioles - Iglesias(2.5)..............................................................2.5

Diamondbacks - Kelly(2)............................................................2

Brewers - Maile(.5),Robertson(1)..............................................1.5

Rockies - Stephenson(.5).........................................................0.5

Two guys who didn't make it to heaven were walking the streets down below, when all of a sudden it started to snow.  One said to the other, the Pirates must have won a Division Championship.
Ottavino 1
WildwoodDave2

Off Season Thread

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

013F3A32213939321237203364560 wrote: Yankees send Ottavino and a minor leaguer to Boston.

I dont subscribe to the PG.  I read the Trib because I'm not required to register.  I'll read it if someone sends it.

I believe I paid $123 with unlimited access for the year.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

1927222A3921212A0A2F382B7C4E0 wrote: Yankees send Ottavino and a minor leaguer to Boston.

That may be true, but it's not an issue of not wanting to pay. The last time I went to the site, they required you to register. I'm not registering. Didn't have to for the Trib.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I've read both Zeise's article and found Tim Benz'. I find Benz' to be more on target.