Question About Austin Romine

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Romine is a free agent at the end of this season. His lifetime hitting stats aren’t very impressive, but does anyone who follows the Yankees know about his defense as well as pitch framing ? The Pirates have a history of taking former Yankees catchers with Martin and Cervelli so would Romine be a free agent the Bucs should pursue this offseason ?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Possibly as a backup.  But we already have 2 guys who can serve as decent backup catchers and they would make much less money than Romine, just as Nutting would want. The only problem I see is that there are no FA backstops that Nutting would pay for. I can spend money in better places. Like starting pitching.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: Possibly as a backup.  But we already have 2 guys who can serve as decent backup catchers and they would make much less money than Romine, just as Nutting would want. The only problem I see is that there are no FA backstops that Nutting would pay for.  I can spend money in better places.  Like starting pitching.
I hear you, but I think they need to bring in a catcher who would platoon with Stallings. I am assuming they are not excited about the play of Diaz.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

707C7D262F262E23243B21160 wrote: Possibly as a backup.  But we already have 2 guys who can serve as decent backup catchers and they would make much less money than Romine, just as Nutting would want. The only problem I see is that there are no FA backstops that Nutting would pay for.  I can spend money in better places.  Like starting pitching.
I hear you, but I think they need to bring in a catcher who would platoon with Stallings. I am assuming they are not excited about the play of Diaz.

I don't know if Romine will be brought in but somebody will be. Was it just two years ago the Bucs had the highest or next to highest WAR from catcher position?
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

We've actually had decent luck with free agent catchers lately. I'd consider both Cervelli and Martin successes, but I just don't have any faith in the front office these days.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0B0F0730263603242B450 wrote: We've actually had decent luck with free agent catchers lately. I'd consider both Cervelli and Martin successes, but I just don't have any faith in the front office these days.

both have been good and Stewart was better than I expected.

Martin and Rod Barajas are NH's free agent signings. we traded with Yankees for Stewart and Cervelli.