52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

604641545D51465058330 wrote: And with that folks, I'm on my way to Indiana, and hope to see some actual talk about baseball games and such, as much as we can see or hear.

Let's Go Bucs!  I'm so excited!!!!!

The the the the the that's all folks.

Safe travels, Surg.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

45636471787463757D160 wrote: And with that folks, I'm on my way to Indiana, and hope to see some actual talk about baseball games and such, as much as we can see or hear.

Thanks for putting this series together, Surge.  It was “must-reading” every day.  It allowed each of us to learn about players we hadn’t heard of before and to remember guys from our youth who once wore a Pirates uniform.  It was a fun historical trip.
Javy

Post by Javy »

163037222B2730262E450 wrote: One day until the First Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 1:

Bill Baker, Bill Salkeld, Dixie Howell. No one qualified to be the best to wear number 1.

Number 1 was retired in 1954 honor of Billy Meyer. In 1948, his first season as manager and working for a newer ownership group including Bing Crosby, the Pirates showed a 21 game improvement, Meyer was the Sporting News Manager of the Year, and the Pirates led the league in attendance. Meyer would resign after 1952, a 112 loss season that was the second worse in Pirates history, as Branch Rickey basically fielded a minor league team, dumping all veterans. His record with the Bucs was 317-452. Why his number was retired remains somewhat a matter of conjecture. He died two years after having his number retired.
Safe travels Surg. i hope you enjoy your trip as much as I've enjoyed this series you created!

To those who were part of the PMB, this series was reminiscent of Goobers "State Tournament" saga where teams were made up of players from each of the lower 48 states that we all voted on, and Highlanders mythical season where he created a team of PMB members who were the actual players and cruised through the regular season all the way to a World Series triumph.

Both of those enjoyable reads were matched by Surg's research and diligence in creating this trip down Memory Lane. thanks so much Surg!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

7E283E2A253F2F24293E0C2B212D2520622F4C0 wrote: And with that folks, I'm on my way to Indiana, and hope to see some actual talk about baseball games and such, as much as we can see or hear.

Thanks for putting this series together, Surge.  It was “must-reading” every day.  It allowed each of us to learn about players we hadn’t heard of before and to remember guys from our youth who once wore a Pirates uniform.  It was a fun historical trip.

I really appreciate you and all the others that commented some really nice nuggets of information about a lot of the players, makes me feel even more of a Pirates fan.
2drfischer@gmail.c

6B405758210 wrote: One day until the First Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 1:

Bill Baker, Bill Salkeld, Dixie Howell. No one qualified to be the best to wear number 1.

Number 1 was retired in 1954 honor of Billy Meyer. In 1948, his first season as manager and working for a newer ownership group including Bing Crosby, the Pirates showed a 21 game improvement, Meyer was the Sporting News Manager of the Year, and the Pirates led the league in attendance. Meyer would resign after 1952, a 112 loss season that was the second worse in Pirates history, as Branch Rickey basically fielded a minor league team, dumping all veterans. His record with the Bucs was 317-452. Why his number was retired remains somewhat a matter of conjecture. He died two years after having his number retired.
Safe travels Surg. i hope you enjoy your trip as much as I've enjoyed this series you created!

To those who were part of the PMB, this series was reminiscent of Goobers "State Tournament" saga where teams were made up of players from each of the lower 48 states that we all voted on, and Highlanders mythical season where he created a team of PMB members who were the actual players and cruised through the regular season all the way to a World Series triumph.

Both of those enjoyable reads were matched by Surg's research and diligence in creating this trip down Memory Lane. thanks so much Surg!

That state tournament was really fun and educational, baseball-wise. Really memorable.
2drfischer@gmail.c

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: And with that folks, I'm on my way to Indiana, and hope to see some actual talk about baseball games and such, as much as we can see or hear.

I really appreciate you and all the others that commented some really nice nuggets of information about a lot of the players, makes me feel even more of a Pirates fan.

Glad to be a part, Surge. There were several guys who made some great comments and additions to your work, but your contributions were epic.