Yankees Designate Andujar

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have claimed so many non prospects during the last couple of seasons, and I think they should take a flyer on Andujar. He could be a nice addition to their lineup.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

I have had my eye on him for a few years now.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

I remember when the Pirates demanded Andujar as part of a trade package for Gerritt Cole.  The Yankees wouldn't part with Andujar.  Below I took some excerpts from a long story I read about Andujar.  It is really interesting that many of the things we Pirate fans complain about with player development, happen to perhaps the best organization in baseball as well.

But perhaps more important than the trajectory of his (Andujar's) career is why the Yankees seem to struggle so much with maintaining a player’s level of output. Aaron Judge has been remarkably consistent in the majors, and stepped it up this year in a way that’s almost comical. Andújar, Gleyber Torres, Gary Sánchez were all guys who came up within a couple years of each other, had the same development team and coaches and represent a full third of the lineup, but they haven’t been able to stay at their best, much less improve while in the majors.

Prospects miss all the time, but to have essentially an entire cohort of core position players see regression once the league got 150 games of data on them raises eyebrows, and not in a good way.

I’ve always been the low man on Andújar, His offensive tools are not the things that I personally value in a hitter, and if you’ve read my work since I started writing here six seasons ago, you know I’ve been pretty consistent in that belief. If you’re new to my writing, and think this is just hindsight, that’s your prerogative. But I don’t write this as a “haha, I told you so.” Andújar is a minor baseball tragedy.

His abilities have regressed and he’s effectively lost two years to build consistency and adjust. He’ll be out of options next year, on a team where entrenched regulars always make it hard to crack the 26-man roster. When he’s been given chances to produce, he’s fallen flat on his face, and to such a degree that it’s hard to look at his stat line and say he just needs a change of scenery. He needs a new swing and approach and hitting philosophy — if everything about Miguel Andújar was different, how different would he be?

I would be surprised to see him wear Yankee pinstripes again. I’m sure he’ll be flipped for some interesting but project-y relief pitcher in December. A Yankee career that started with him garnering a few first-place Rookie of the Year votes over Shohei Ohtani, that began with him being too valuable to deal for Gerrit Cole, will end with a whimper. We all know that baseball is an unfair game, but seeing it happen in real time is something else entirely.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The more I think about Andujar, the more I think the Bucs should claim him. He has two years remaining for arbitration, so you would assume the Pirates could retain him for the two seasons. He is a right handed hitter which the Pirates could use to balance the lineup with so many lefty hitters. I think I would put him in the outfield in one of the two corner positions. I just think it makes a lot of sense to bring him to Pittsburgh.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

565A5B0009000805021D07300 wrote: The more I think about Andujar, the more I think the Bucs should claim him. He has two years remaining for arbitration, so you would assume the Pirates could retain him for the two seasons. He is a right handed hitter which the Pirates could use to balance the lineup with so many lefty hitters. I think I would put him in the outfield in one of the two corner positions. I just think it makes a lot of sense to bring him to Pittsburgh.
Agreed. What do they do they to lose especially with some

of the previous clowns we have picked up?
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs have claimed Andujar. I like the move.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

7F7372292029212C2B342E190 wrote: The Bucs have claimed Andujar. I like the move.
Cherington must have been reading Only Bucs. Like I said,

it can't hurt
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Also like the move. Would like to see him get an extended chance next year in the outfield and possibly dh. Definitely can't hurt.
gileszee

Post by gileszee »

More dumpster diving, but that is the Pirate way to acquire players nowadays. So it is what it is. Maybe he plays 1B/DH? Hope it works out; we deserve a positive outcome here after the VanMeter b/s that was a waste.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I have to think this is more than a dumpster dive. Andujar is only 27 years old. He had a very good season 4 years ago, had some injury issues, and with the Yankees could not get much playing time. Just my opinion, but this is a much better acquisition than Van Meter, Collins, or Greg Allen just to name a few. I am anxious to see how he does for the Pirates.