Frazier traded to Padres

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by GreenWeenie »

033D32323831363538381C31263B540 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

I get criticizing people for things, but . . .

You'll have to hand in your Yinzer Card then.  Maniacally criticizing the local baseball club for every real or imagined transgression is our regional pastime.

Stort in tge Trib says that Shelton told Frazier that he was traded to the Padres, unless I read it incorrectly.
Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

427760606B5260606B6C60050 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

You'll have to hand in your Yinzer Card then.  Maniacally criticizing the local baseball club for every real or imagined transgression is our regional pastime.

Stort in tge Trib says that Shelton told Frazier that he was traded to the Padres, unless I read it incorrectly.
I just saw that.

“I was pretty excited when he said San Diego."

https://triblive.com/sports/after-trade ... ld-series/

Strange because Frazier was pretty adamant about not being told in the PG article.

"He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

“I came off the field, and Shelton took me down the tunnel. He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it."

Maybe he's saying it took awhile for Shelton to tell him later that it was SD. Two very different stories unless there was a time lag between being told he was traded and being told it was to SD.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

0C3F232221291F2239253E392824234D0 wrote: Do we know that Shelton knew where he was going? It seems they were talking to multiple teams. In the middle of a game, he might not care about anything but pulling Frazier and getting someone else on the field.

That could be. But the the least he could've done is explain to Frazier that he didn't know yet and that he'd get the information to him as quickly as possible. Leaving him hanging like that was inexcusable.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier traded to Padres

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: He gets a call to take the guy out, he takes the guy out.

This is not random criticism of Shelton. Shelton wasn't merely told to take Frazier out. He was told that Frazier had been traded. Frazier was the one who seemed to think it was very odd. 

"He told me goodbye and didn’t tell me where I was going. I don’t know if they thought I could read Twitter from the field or something. It was crazy.”

I find it very hard to believe that Shelton was only told Frazier had been traded but wasn't told to where. I can't imagine that phone call. I guess Frazier couldn't either. Per Frazier:

“I came off the field, and Shelton took me down the tunnel. He said, ‘Man, it’s been a pleasure.’ That was basically it."

Exactly. The very first question any player in that situation would ask would be where he was traded. The GM and manager have been around the game long enough to know that, and that info shouldn't have been excluded from Shelton's conversation with Frazier.
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

SCBucco

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by SCBucco »

Got to be honest. I went into the Frazier deal expecting to be disappointed and got what exactly what I thought would happen. Do people realize that added 1.4 million was so Marcano was included? The initial deal was Suwinski and Milliano. That isn't a good job by Ben, especially when you consider Frazier was crowned as one of the top trade deadline targets by the pundits.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Frazier traded to Padres

4858596E7878741B0 wrote: Got to be honest.  I went into the Frazier deal expecting to be disappointed and got what exactly what I thought would happen.  Do people realize that added 1.4 million was so Marcano was included?  The initial deal was Suwinski and Milliano.  That isn't a good job by Ben, especially when you consider Frazier was crowned as one of the top trade deadline targets by the pundits.

Frazier wasn't likely to be signed by the Pirates after next season so trading him now was when his value was greatest in terms of a return. $1.4 million to a major league baseball franchise is hardly significant over the course of one year's time. We won't know for some time if acquiring Marcano will be worth the expense, but I don't think spending that amount of money to find out is anything to be concerned about.
Bobster21

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Bobster21 »

3E3B3C3A3238213C3526202D540 wrote: Interesting read on Marcano.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/07/28/pittsb ... think/amp/

The article notes "Even his overall stats didn’t stand out. Marcano has put up solid numbers at Triple-A, but nothing that shouts all-star. He’s hit .272/.367/.444..." but cites a lot of more technical numbers that are very positive. But even those stats that "didn't stand out" become quite encouraging when looked at more closely.

This is a guy who didn't play in 2020 and had not faced pitching in any league higher than A-ball as of 2019. He made the Padres opening day roster after hitting .410 this spring. And then he sat. After a few weeks the Padres decided he needed steady ABs and sent him to AAA, a big jump since facing only A-ball pitching in 2019. He struggled with the adjustment going just 2 for 20 but was recalled due to injuries or covid for another week being optioned again. He struggled for another week in AAA (5 for 27) before being recalled again by the Padres when 3 players went out for covid. After another week of mostly sitting, he went back to AAA.

So his AAA stats that "don't stand out" include his first taste of AAA pitching that went a combined 7 for 47 in 2 separate 1-week stints sandwiched around recalls to essentially sit on the Padres' bench. Once they let him play regularly at AAA for more than a 1 week period, he put together outstanding stats going 40 for 125 (.320) with 6 HRs with a slash line of .320/.408/.512/.920 while maintaining a high walk rate of 13.6%. That's a lot better than his AAA total of .272/.367/.444 but there are certainly circumstances that explain the slow start when someone who had never even faced AA pitching was being shuttled back and forth between AAA and MLB. When looked at in the context of the more advanced stats cited in the article, Marcano's slash line after being allowed to face AAA pitching on an extended basis shows that he has been a very strong hitter.

I think we may see him with the Pirates very soon if he continues his hot hitting at Indy.
johnfluharty

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by johnfluharty »

I read that the 1.4 million was included to cover the rest of his salary for the year and keep them under the luxury tax cap.  Probably they asked for Marcona in exchange for doing them  that favor.  I also read that they asked for Marcona in the Melancon trade and we're told no.
Ecbucs

Frazier traded to Padres

Post by Ecbucs »

634E43525544531310210 wrote: Interesting read on Marcano.

https://rumbunter.com/2021/07/28/pittsb ... think/amp/

The article notes "Even his overall stats didn’t stand out. Marcano has put up solid numbers at Triple-A, but nothing that shouts all-star. He’s hit .272/.367/.444..." but cites a lot of more technical numbers that are very positive. But even those stats that "didn't stand out" become quite encouraging when looked at more closely.

This is a guy who didn't play in 2020 and had not faced pitching in any league higher than A-ball as of 2019. He made the Padres opening day roster after hitting .410 this spring. And then he sat. After a few weeks the Padres decided he needed steady ABs and sent him to AAA, a big jump since facing only A-ball pitching in 2019. He struggled with the adjustment going just 2 for 20 but was recalled due to injuries or covid for another week being optioned again. He struggled for another week in AAA (5 for 27) before being recalled again by the Padres when 3 players went out for covid. After another week of mostly sitting, he went back to AAA.

So his AAA stats that "don't stand out" include his first taste of AAA pitching that went a combined 7 for 47 in 2 separate 1-week stints sandwiched around recalls to essentially sit on the Padres' bench. Once they let him play regularly at AAA for more than a 1 week period, he put together outstanding stats going 40 for 125 (.320) with 6 HRs with a slash line of .320/.408/.512/.920 while maintaining a high walk rate of 13.6%. That's a lot better than his AAA total of .272/.367/.444 but there are certainly circumstances that explain the slow start when someone who had never even faced AA pitching was being shuttled back and forth between AAA and MLB. When looked at in the context of the more advanced stats cited in the article, Marcano's slash line after being allowed to face AAA pitching on an extended basis shows that he has been a very strong hitter.

I think we may see him with the Pirates very soon if he continues his hot hitting at Indy.

I don't understand the reports that he lacks strength. To a certain degree strength can be added through workouts. Supposedly are new outfielder, Jack Suwicki did that (even though he was already strong).