Pirates Hall of Fame

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

It seems all that noise was hoopla over the inaugural class

Jake Beckley, Honus Wagner, Fred Clarke, Max Carey, Paul Waner, Lloyd Waner, Oscar Charleston, Pie Traynor, Ray Brown, Arky Vaughan, Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, Ralph Kiner, Bill Mazeroski, Danny Murtaugh, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Blass, and Dave Parker.

Seems like a pretty safe grouping: Hall of Famers, a true World Series hero who stayed forever as an announcer. I'm going to guess that Parker and Murtaugh made the cut because the team sees them as the most likely future HOF choices.
JollyRoger

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by JollyRoger »

55667A7B7870467B607C6760717D7A140 wrote: It seems all that noise was hoopla over the inaugural class

Jake Beckley, Honus Wagner, Fred Clarke, Max Carey, Paul Waner, Lloyd Waner, Oscar Charleston, Pie Traynor, Ray Brown, Arky Vaughan, Josh Gibson, Buck Leonard, Ralph Kiner, Bill Mazeroski, Danny Murtaugh, Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargell, Steve Blass, and Dave Parker.

Seems like a pretty safe grouping: Hall of Famers, a true World Series hero who stayed forever as an announcer. I'm going to guess that Parker and Murtaugh made the cut because the team sees them as the most likely future HOF choices.

Perhaps the one omission that should have been included (unless this HOF is strictly players and or managers) would be Bob Prince. Maybe Dick Groat as well
ArnoldRothstein

Pirates Hall of Fame

Perhaps the one omission that should have been included (unless this HOF is strictly players and or managers) would be Bob Prince. Maybe Dick Groat as well

Prince would certainly make sense in context of who they put in, as a winner of the HOF's Frick Award. Wendell Smith of the Pittsburgh Courier took the Spink Award.
ArnoldRothstein

Pirates Hall of Fame

The website does say "players and managers."

https://www.mlb.com/pirates/history/hall-of-fame
INbuc

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by INbuc »

The Pirates Hall of Fame is a great idea. What an incredible list of inductees.

Sad, but as things currently stand, it is hard to imagine a 21st Century Pirate player being able to amass credentials (in six years or less) that would justify "enshrinement".

I am confident no one will be casting a mold for Shelton.
WildwoodDave2

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

2B2C001701620 wrote: The Pirates Hall of Fame is a great idea.   What an incredible list of inductees.

Sad, but as things currently stand, it is hard to imagine a 21st Century Pirate player being able to amass credentials (in six years or less) that would justify "enshrinement".   

I am confident no one will be casting a mold for Shelton.
You can take that statement to the bank :'(
Javy

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by Javy »

I would be curious to know what standards they use for induction. If they go by years played with the Pirates, do they go by election to the Hall Of Fame with part of their career as a Pirate?

Kiner played 7 full seasons with the Pirates. That would seem to be a threshold of sorts, which could open it up to players like Groat, Oliver, Hebner, Sanguillen, and Bonds (if they ever consider him).

Babe Adams, Vern Law, Bob Friend, Kent Tekulve and Elroy Face would seem to be obvious candidates just based on longevity and career achievements.

Thoughts?
Ecbucs

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by Ecbucs »

517A6D621B0 wrote: I would be curious to know what standards they use for induction. If they go by years played with the Pirates, do they go by election to the Hall Of Fame with part of their career as a Pirate?

Kiner played 7 full seasons with the Pirates. That would seem to be a threshold of sorts, which could open it up to players like Groat, Oliver, Hebner, Sanguillen, and Bonds (if they ever consider him).

Babe Adams, Vern Law, Bob Friend, Kent Tekulve and Elroy Face would seem to be obvious candidates just based on longevity and career achievements.

Thoughts?

I think they went with x number of years and in the Hall of Fame. I believe all the players but Parker and Blass are in HOF. Hall of Famers that spent a shorter period of time with Bucs didn't make it: Burleigh Grimes, Rabbit Maranville, Freddy Lindstrom are examples I thought of and I don't think any will make the Pirate hall. I was hoping they would start out with more players like Friend, Law, Groat and Face since they are alive, and aren't in the Hall but were very good Pirates.
JollyRoger

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by JollyRoger »

103B2C235A0 wrote: I would be curious to know what standards they use for induction. If they go by years played with the Pirates, do they go by election to the Hall Of Fame with part of their career as a Pirate?

Thoughts?
Javy

I agree with most of your suggestions for inclusion into the Pirate HOF. Not too sure on Hebner. Bonds definitely deserves a spot for what he did while a Pirate.
DemDog

Pirates Hall of Fame

Post by DemDog »

When you are considering an inaugural class you need to stop somewhere. What number that is could be the problem. I understand the MLB HOF members but others are important as well. I love Blass but I think Prince should be there in his place. Then there is Groat, who has Pittsburgh Blood running through his veins and he was a winner in Pittsburgh. Then there is Bonds, he deserves to be in the Bucs HOF. He helped take a mediocre team and make it into a contender with the chance of winning the WS.