52 days till first Spring Training game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

5305130708120209041321060C00080D4F02610 wrote: 36 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 36:

Heine Manush, Spud Davis, Jim Bagby, Woody Main, Mel Queen, Cal Hogue, Bob Hall, Joe Trimble, Ron Blackburn, Jack Lamabe, Frank Bork, Tom Butters, Dennis Ribant, Carl Taylor, Fred Cambria, Dick Colpaert, Gene Garber, Al McBean, Ramon Hernandez, Odell Jones, Matt Alexander, Junior Ortiz, Marvell Wynne, Rick Sauveur, Brian Fisher, Dave Rucker, Joe Redfield, Jeff Richardson, Kevin Young, Mark Johnson, Jason Johnson, Javier Martinez, Billy Taylor, Craig Wilson, Juan Perez, Jeff Karstens, Luis Cruz, Wilfredo Ledezma, Ryan Ludwick, Garrett Olson, Yamaico Navarro, Phil Irmin, Justin Morneau, Edinson Volquez, Jose Osuna, Nick Mears.

Best player to wear number 36: Ramon Hernandez. Honorable mention to Craig Wilson.

More cool names on that list (Heinie Manush, Mel Queen, Tom Butters), but one of my all time favorite names is Alvin O’Neal McBean. 

I always thought Craig Wilson needed more of a chance but McLendon gave him little opportunity.  And Kevin Young, in his last year or two, looked like he’d rather be anywhere else than on a baseball field.  I was so happy when he was finally gone.
And now Kevin Young is your favorite Pirate Announcer

Hiring Ronnie Cedeno would make it perfect.

Maybe they can swing a deal for Kolton Wong :D :D
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

754B4E46554D4D466643544710220 wrote: 36 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 36:

Heine Manush, Spud Davis, Jim Bagby, Woody Main, Mel Queen, Cal Hogue, Bob Hall, Joe Trimble, Ron Blackburn, Jack Lamabe, Frank Bork, Tom Butters, Dennis Ribant, Carl Taylor, Fred Cambria, Dick Colpaert, Gene Garber, Al McBean, Ramon Hernandez, Odell Jones, Matt Alexander, Junior Ortiz, Marvell Wynne, Rick Sauveur, Brian Fisher, Dave Rucker, Joe Redfield, Jeff Richardson, Kevin Young, Mark Johnson, Jason Johnson, Javier Martinez, Billy Taylor, Craig Wilson, Juan Perez, Jeff Karstens, Luis Cruz, Wilfredo Ledezma, Ryan Ludwick, Garrett Olson, Yamaico Navarro, Phil Irmin, Justin Morneau, Edinson Volquez, Jose Osuna, Nick Mears.

Best player to wear number 36: Ramon Hernandez. Honorable mention to Craig Wilson.

More cool names on that list (Heinie Manush, Mel Queen, Tom Butters), but one of my all time favorite names is Alvin O’Neal McBean. 

I always thought Craig Wilson needed more of a chance but McLendon gave him little opportunity.  And Kevin Young, in his last year or two, looked like he’d rather be anywhere else than on a baseball field.  I was so happy when he was finally gone.
And now Kevin Young is your favorite Pirate Announcer

Hiring Ronnie Cedeno would make it perfect.

Maybe they can swing a deal for Kolton Wong :D :D

He’d come here and hit .189, we’d release him at the Deadline with the Reds picking him up, and he’d bat .390 over the last two months with three game winning hits against us. That’s the Kolton Wong I know.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

Junior Walsh, Ed Wolfe, Bob Purkey, Fred Waters, Curt Raydon, Paul Giel, Jim Umbricht, Tom Chaney, Al McBean, Nelson Briles, Ken Macha, Dave Pagan, John Milner, Bob Long, Ross Baumgarten, Dave Tomlin, Mike Bielecki, Ray Krawczyk, Rick Reed, Danny Jackson, Alejandro Pena, Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson, Michael Restovich, Benito Santiago, John Grabow, Roberto Hernandez, Chris Bootcheck, Daniel McCutchen, A.J. Burnett, Drew Hutchinson, Trevor Williams, JT Brubaker.

Best player to wear number 34: Al McBean. Honorable mention to Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson.
2drfischer@gmail.c

795F584D44485F49412A0 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

Junior Walsh, Ed Wolfe, Bob Purkey, Fred Waters, Curt Raydon, Paul Giel, Jim Umbricht, Tom Chaney, Al McBean, Nelson Briles, Ken Macha, Dave Pagan, John Milner, Bob Long, Ross Baumgarten, Dave Tomlin, Mike Bielecki, Ray Krawczyk, Rick Reed, Danny Jackson, Alejandro Pena, Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson, Michael Restovich, Benito Santiago, John Grabow, Roberto Hernandez, Chris Bootcheck, Daniel McCutchen, A.J. Burnett, Drew Hutchinson, Trevor Williams, JT Brubaker.

Best player to wear number 34: Al McBean. Honorable mention to Esteban Loaiza, Kris Benson.

You and I disagree on Benson. I thought he was a major disappointment.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

6C3A2C38372D3D363B2C1E39333F3732703D5E0 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

You and I disagree on Benson.  I thought he was a major disappointment.

His wife helped.
2drfischer@gmail.c

785E594C45495E48402B0 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

His wife helped.

No argument from me.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

33 days until the first Spring Training game. Number 33 has never been worn by a Pirates player. The number was worn by Honus Wagner when he was a coach, and the number was retired in 1956. Wagner passed away on Dec. 6th, 1955.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

527473666F6374626A010 wrote: 33 days until the first Spring Training game. Number 33 has never been worn by a Pirates player. The number was worn by Honus Wagner when he was a coach, and the number was retired in 1956. Wagner passed away on Dec. 6th, 1955.
:o

I never realized that.
Javy

Post by Javy »

015741555A40505B564173545E525A5F1D50330 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

His wife helped.

No argument from me. 

Wholeheartedly agree with McBean, but my Honorable Mention would go to Nellie Briles or John Milner.

Didn't Loaiza get caught in a major drug bust a few years back?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

446F78770E0 wrote: 34 days until the first Spring Training game. Here are the illustrious Pirates who have worn number 34:

His wife helped.

No argument from me. 

Wholeheartedly agree with McBean, but my Honorable Mention would go to Nellie Briles or John Milner.

Didn't Loaiza get caught in a major drug bust a few years back?
Also, Loaiza was a pretty lousy pitcher for the Pirates. 4.63 ERA for the Bucs with 580 hits in 513 innings.

Surg's criteria is to wear the number at least 4 years and Briles was only with them for 3 years. I would go with McBean. Benson was a major disappointment. McBean was an ace reliever and was even a better starter than Benson.