Pitt Football

offtopic

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

5F797E6B626E796F670C0 wrote: Dooz going against his previous employer.  FWIW, ACC champion vs. 3rd-ranked Big Ten.  Different strokes & folks, but I think deserving of a NYD bowl, especially in light of some others.
I could be wrong on this, but because they weren't part of the playoff, the ACC champ was assigned to this bowl a long time ago,  as part of the bowl rotation.

Probably something along those lines.  Seems in this case to be a little off to me, but that's agreements for you.  Played the same day as the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Penn State & Arkansas play on NYD.  Such is life.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Football

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

546176767D4476767D7A76130 wrote: Dooz going against his previous employer.  FWIW, ACC champion vs. 3rd-ranked Big Ten.  Different strokes & folks, but I think deserving of a NYD bowl, especially in light of some others.
I could be wrong on this, but because they weren't part of the playoff, the ACC champ was assigned to this bowl a long time ago,  as part of the bowl rotation.

Probably something along those lines.  Seems in this case to be a little off to me, but that's agreements for you.  Played the same day as the Duke's Mayo Bowl.  Penn State & Arkansas play on NYD.  Such is life.

The winner of the ACC is tied into the Peach or Fiesta Bowl. Notre Dame and Oklahoma fans travel much better than Pitt. It's all about the money.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

Whipple has resigned for undeclared reasons. It's not been announced who is taking his duties during the bowl game.
DemDog

Pitt Football

Post by DemDog »

063324242F1624242F2824410 wrote: Whipple has resigned for undeclared reasons.  It's not been announced who is taking his duties during the bowl game.

Further scuttlebutt from 93.7 The Fan, and the PG indicate that he is a candidate for OC and Nebraska. Go figure.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Football

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

62434B624941260 wrote: Whipple has resigned for undeclared reasons.  It's not been announced who is taking his duties during the bowl game.

Further scuttlebutt from 93.7 The Fan, and the PG indicate that he is a candidate for OC and Nebraska.  Go figure.
He has been talking to Nebraska. PG said it was for family reasons. I spoke to a high school football coach who is a good friend of Picketts dad.. Supposedly Whipple told Pickett that his job at Pitt was done and he didn't want to start over with a new QB. ( right now the Qb job is wide open) I'm sure that Nebraska will give him more money but Whipple said that Money is not the issue.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

Never is. Always is.
GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

"Family reasons" my hind end.  The guy probably couldn't pick Nebraska from a map of the United States.

He must have family all over the country, given his Mark Melancon-like travels:

1980—St. Lawrence (assistant coach)

1981-82—Union (offensive coordinator)

1983—Brown (wide receivers)

1984—Arizona Wranglers, USFL (quarterbacks assistant)

1986-87—New Hampshire (offensive coordinator)

1988-93—New Haven (head coach)

1994-97—Brown (head coach)

1998-2003—Massachusetts (head coach)

2004-06—Pittsburgh Steelers (quarterbacks)

2008—Philadelphia Eagles (offensive assistant)

2009-10—Miami (assistant head coach, offensive coordinator, quarterbacks)

2011-12—Cleveland Browns (quarterbacks)

2014-18—Massachusetts (head coach)

2019-21—Pitt (offensive coordinator, quarterbacks)

2022—Nebraska (offensive coordinator, quarterbacks

It wasn't the money my butt. I'm not faulting Pitt. I'm calling a bunch of bees wax on the story.
WildwoodDave2

Pitt Football

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4C796E6E655C6E6E65626E0B0 wrote: Never is.  Always is.
In the grand scheme of things, who cares. Does it put any more money in your pocket? Certainly not mine
GreenWeenie

Pitt Football

Post by GreenWeenie »

If we went by that standard, then we would ask that question about everything on the board.  I assume that we have members who DO care even though we have nothing to gain.  That's a good thing, IMO.

The bottom line is- the guy left. He had his reasons. "Family" isn't one.