Official Game Thread 7/6/2023 Pirates vs. Dodgers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

183538292E3F28686B5A0 wrote: Of the 9 starters last night, Hayes had the lowest OBP. And he had not faced competitive pitching in 2 weeks. So naturally, he batted leadoff. I know we are well past trying to associate any logic with Shelington's decisions. But things like this simply defy explanation.

It seems as though they are living in a make-believe world generated by the PR department where Hayes is a valuable hitter and as soon as he was available off the IL they couldn't wait to stick him at the top of the lineup and reap the rewards.

Hayes has started 29 games batting 1st, 20 hitting 5th, 14 hitting 6th, 5 hitting 7th and twice each hitting 2nd and 3rd. He should probably never hit higher than 7th or 8th. Or just come in for late inning defense. Pretending he's a valued hitter doesn't make it so.   :(

The Pirates problem with Hayes is that they've signed him to that big contract.  Now they're forced to embark on a strategy to give him opportunities to live up to it, which we all know he's not capable of doing.  The best thing that can happen is for a team competing for the postseason losing its 3Bman to injury and becoming desperate to replace him.  Then the Pirates can explain trading him to that team as an "opportunity".  But we'd all know the real reason.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Hey Surg, I am on the DL with a rib fracture. When I go home from the ER I was higher than a kite so I had to sleep in my recliner. Mrs. Possum got things set up and sat there watching the game off and on. I got to really see how great the ER nurses were with me. I will never say that you don't have an impact on a patient's life and well-being.

Don't let that compliment go to your head buddy, you will still come under fire for jinxing the Bucs. :D :D :D :D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

This Pirates team is now 20-39 since April 30th after starting the year 20-8. That’s just an unacceptable collapse no matter how you look at it. Contract extension or not if this team loses 90-100 games which it looks like it is probably going to do you gotta let Shelton and this coaching staff go and start fresh with someone new next year with all these young players either here now or ready to come up in the next year. Shelton has had enough time now. He has lost 100 games in each of the last two seasons and had a winning percentage of .317 in the Covid shortened year in 2020 which was the worst in baseball. I wanted to give him one more good solid year to see how things would go with some better veterans and a lot of the younger guys finally up here now and things started great but This collapse this season these last 59 games since the 20-8 start was the end of the line for me. Shelton needs to go and they need to go in a different direction yet again when it comes to hiring and finding a new manager.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Things are not looking good. 7 games under .500 and now we have to play the D-Backs in Arizona.

There are only 3 games remaining before the all-star break but here are a few things that I would like to see happen before the break.

1) I know it won't happen when either Hill or Keller are on the mound, but can we please see Davis behind the plate at some point. Davis at catcher could result in having another bat in the line-up rather than Hedges.

2) Put Cutch on the injured list and back-date it to yesterday.

He has slumped as of late and likely could use the time to help his elbow heal. Call up Choi and have him at designated hitter for a few games. I am not a Choi fan, but at some point they need to get him in a few games to see if he has any trade value, or if he can be a substitute for Santana who may have some limited trade value.

3) Send Castro to AAA now and use Triolo as an infield reserve. Triolo is 25 and has earned the shot to remain in the majors. Castro is really streaky, and at present, he appears lost.

4) Bring Marcano back from purgatory and pair him at 2nd - SS with Gonzalez for a few games. Some consistency would be nice.

5) Please avoid a sweep in Arizona.

6) Draft well. This team needs talent.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

58797158737B1C0 wrote: Hey Surg, I am on the DL with a rib fracture.  When I go home from the ER I was higher than a kite so I had to sleep in my recliner.  Mrs. Possum got things set up and sat there watching the game off and on.  I got to really see how great the ER nurses were with me.  I will never say that you don't have an impact on a patient's life and well-being.

Don't let that compliment go to your head buddy, you will still come under fire for jinxing the Bucs.   :D :D :D :D

Geez, Possum, now you’ve gone and done it. He’ll be insufferable now. And how the heck did you break a rib? You’re supposed to be sedentary at your age.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

1D4B5D49465C4C474A5D6F48424E4643014C2F0 wrote: Hey Surg, I am on the DL with a rib fracture.  When I go home from the ER I was higher than a kite so I had to sleep in my recliner.  Mrs. Possum got things set up and sat there watching the game off and on.  I got to really see how great the ER nurses were with me.  I will never say that you don't have an impact on a patient's life and well-being.

Don't let that compliment go to your head buddy, you will still come under fire for jinxing the Bucs.   :D :D :D :D

Geez, Possum, now you’ve gone and done it.  He’ll be insufferable now.  And how the heck did you break a rib?  You’re supposed to be sedentary at your age.

My left knee gave out two steps from the top of my stairs and I landed on my side breaking my rib.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Now leave me alone I am going into sedentary life and eat fresh corn on the cob.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1A3B331A31395E0 wrote: Hey Surg, I am on the DL with a rib fracture.  When I go home from the ER I was higher than a kite so I had to sleep in my recliner.  Mrs. Possum got things set up and sat there watching the game off and on.  I got to really see how great the ER nurses were with me.  I will never say that you don't have an impact on a patient's life and well-being.

Geez, Possum, now you’ve gone and done it.  He’ll be insufferable now.  And how the heck did you break a rib?  You’re supposed to be sedentary at your age.

My left knee gave out two steps from the top of my stairs and I landed on my side breaking my rib.   :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Now leave me alone I am going into sedentary life and eat fresh corn on the cob.

Take care Possum and be careful. Perhaps you could invest in this bubble wrap suit. :)

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

5D707D6C6B7A6D2D2E1F0 wrote: Hey Surg, I am on the DL with a rib fracture.  When I go home from the ER I was higher than a kite so I had to sleep in my recliner.  Mrs. Possum got things set up and sat there watching the game off and on.  I got to really see how great the ER nurses were with me.  I will never say that you don't have an impact on a patient's life and well-being.

Take care Possum and be careful. Perhaps you could invest in this bubble wrap suit. :)

Damn, Bobster that is so funny that it pained me bad when I laughed at it. Thanks for lifting my spirits.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

18343C3B3017203626550 wrote: Things are not looking good.  7 games under .500 and now we have to play the D-Backs in Arizona. 

There are only 3 games remaining before the all-star break but here are a few things that I would like to see happen before the break.

1)  I know it won't happen when either Hill or Keller are on the mound, but can we please see Davis behind the plate at some point.   Davis at catcher could result in having another bat in the line-up rather than Hedges.

2)  Put Cutch on the injured list and back-date it to yesterday.

He has slumped as of late and likely could use the time to help his elbow heal.  Call up Choi and have him at designated hitter for a few games.  I am not a Choi fan, but at some point they need to get him in a few games to see if he has any trade value, or if he can be a substitute for Santana who may have some limited trade value.

3)  Send Castro to AAA now and use Triolo as an infield reserve.  Triolo is 25 and has earned the shot to remain in the majors.   Castro is really streaky, and at present, he appears lost.

4)  Bring Marcano back from purgatory and pair him at 2nd - SS with Gonzalez for a few games.  Some consistency would be nice.

5)  Please avoid a sweep in Arizona.

6)  Draft well.  This team needs talent.    

Mainer: Good thoughts

The one I disagree with is Gonzales at SS

His arm is not strong enough. He has made several inaccurate throws to first that Santana has bailed him out on

I prefer Gonzales at 2B. Marcano and Triolo can share SS duties until Cruz returns