The year of PLayoff and Wild Card berths

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Post by mouse »

My concern with the pitch to contact theory is that if your team is going to use that approach, it should gather the best defenders it can find to support that. The Pirates haven't followed through with that part of the program.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

The whole idea of “pitch to contact” was absurd to me. Seems to me, the best pitch is one that misses the bat. And I doubt the Pirate’s Philosophy resulted in starters going deeper into the game.
rucker59@gmail.com

Yankees humiliated by Sox; Brock Holt makes history hitting for the cycle.

Holt and Hanrahan to Boston for the shark and a few others. 
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Just a thought...on paper, Astros/Red Sox is one of the best LCS matchups I can remember. I don't really like the American League game, but I think a lot of people probably consider this series the "real" World Series. Great pitching on both sides, both lineups would rival All-Star teams in terms of depth.
kansasfan

Post by kansasfan »

70787B4C5A7F5857390 wrote: Just a thought...on paper, Astros/Red Sox is one of the best LCS matchups I can remember. I don't really like the American League game, but I think a lot of people probably consider this series the "real" World Series. Great pitching on both sides, both lineups would rival All-Star teams in terms of depth.

Agree in general about AL baseball, but the funny thing is with both of those teams (108 & 103 wins), they actually use more NL strategies than most NL teams! I've seen sacrifice bunts when appropriate; actual hit & runs; and even Altuve tried to bunt in a runner from 3rd when he saw the 1B playing back.

And the crazy thing is, the players actually know how to bunt, how to hit & run, how to slide.

I'm not big on using small ball ALL the time, but you gotta know how to do it. And these teams do.
rucker59@gmail.com

Brewers beat Kershaw. Amazing.

I never like the Brewers, but I’m cheering for them now. Got to hand it to them.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1215030B0512555920070D01090C4E030F0D600 wrote: Brewers beat Kershaw.  Amazing. 

I never like the Brewers, but I’m cheering for them now.  Got to hand it to them. 
Kershaw's career post-season record is 8-8 with a 4.26 ERA. Regular season career ERA of 2.39. He's a different pitcher in the post season.
rucker59@gmail.com

527F72636475622221100 wrote: Brewers beat Kershaw.  Amazing. 

I never like the Brewers, but I’m cheering for them now.  Got to hand it to them. 
Kershaw's career post-season record is 8-8 with a 4.26 ERA. Regular season career ERA of 2.39. He's a different pitcher in the post season.

Yeah, what does that do to a hall of fame ballet?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A4D5B535D4A0D01785F55595154165B5755380 wrote: Brewers beat Kershaw.  Amazing. 

Yeah, what does that do to a hall of fame ballet?

It doesn't help but it might only be the difference between 1st ballot or not. Barry Bonds would be in the HOF if not for the steroids and will still probably get in. No one uses his post season stats against him in that regard. Bonds appeared in the post season in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and underperformed every year except 2002.
mouse

Post by mouse »

So was last night (Sunday night, AL Game 2) the Cole we remember? He seemed to be throwing hard, but also gave up runs and threw a lot of pitches.