4/3 Game Thread - Opening Day

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Rotation in big world of hurt if Cole keeps blowing up like today. But BP was great. hey, why not just get rid of the starters and just have the BP pitch one inning a piece. :'( Would you say I am frustrated that Cole blew up and the meat of the lineup could not do much against Porcello when they had the chance early on.
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

656D6E594F6A4D422C0 wrote: Personally, i thought this was the best I've ever seen Cole pitch, outside of one inning.  He was consistently hitting 99, hitting his spots, getting weak contact.  If that's the Cole we see all year, we're going to be in good shape.
Yeah too bad he couldn't stop the bleeding in the fifth those runs do count

Never said they didn't.
I didn't mean to sound like a wise ass just meant he had 2 outs no one on and just kind of blew up
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I agree that the power on this team is a bit of a concern. I just hope a lot of innings like the one we had in the 9th with the leadoff double by Bell don't go to waste because of the lack of power on this team. I think Cole will be okay too. It was good to see his velocity up to 98-99 for a lot of the game. I think Frazier needs to play more as well. He gets on base and just adds something to the lineup that nobody else on the roster can really bring.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

I guess we all take away different things after one game.  So, here's mine...

1.  I'm worried about Andrew McCutchen.  In hindsight, I will go on record as saying we should have traded him in the offseason.  I know, I know...it's one game.  I am usually the voice of "don't overreact" on here.  But, I'm going to overreact.  Cutch looked lost to me in the WBC.  I wasn't impressed with much of what I saw in ST.  And he looked overmatched today against a pitcher who wasn't really striking anyone else out.  I'll make a prediction...Neal Huntington's worst trade this year won't be Liriano.  It will be not trading Andrew McCutchen when he had the chance.  And I hate to say that.  Cutch is one of my all time favorite players.  His decline at his age is inexplicable.  But, he continued to indicate he was having a hard time picking up spin.  He was late on a couple of fastballs.  And even a mistake pitch which he usually hammers (a hanging slider over the middle of the plate in his second or third AB), was fouled off, I believe.  Another prediction...we'll be a better team with Austin Meadows in the lineup.  I can't tell you how much I hate writing this.  Please #22...prove me wrong.

2.  As frustrated as I am with Cutch, I'm excited about Cole.  Yeah, he had a bad inning.  It happens.  Other than that, he was dominant.  I'll say it again, if that's the Gerrit Cole we see for 30 more starts this year, we're in the race to the end (at least for a WC).

3.  I'm not all that impressed by Adam Frazier.  He held his own in the field and at the plate.  But, let's be honest...left field in Fenway is not the most difficult position to play defensively.  He didn't butcher anything, but Fenway has a way of hiding poor range in a left fielder.  Heck, like I said the other day, Manny Ramirez played there for years. And he wasn't exactly in the running for many gold gloves. Frazier made a nice play on that ball off the Monster.  But, I think his lack of range will be exposed in a more expansive left field, like, say, the park where we play 81 of our games each year.

Play him at second? I can tolerate that. Third on occasion? Sure. Even right at PNC and put Cutch or Polanco (whoever doesn't need a day off) in left? Yeah, I'll bite. But I'm not ready to anoint him a starting outfielder on this team.

Other than that...it's one game.  We started 4-0 last year, and finished 78-83-1.  The year before that, we started 18-22, and finished 98-64.  The year before that, 10-18, and finished 88-74. I feel like I say this every year.  I sound like a broken record.  OK...that's all.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

2C2032322334223227202F410 wrote: Personally, i thought this was the best I've ever seen Cole pitch, outside of one inning.  He was consistently hitting 99, hitting his spots, getting weak contact.  If that's the Cole we see all year, we're going to be in good shape.
Yeah too bad he couldn't stop the bleeding in the fifth those runs do count

Never said they didn't.
I didn't mean to sound like a wise ass just meant he had 2 outs no one on and just kind of blew up

No sweat. I hear ya!
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

575B4949584F59495C5B543A0 wrote: I haven't been on the board pretty much since last season and I'm not basing this on today's game so don't start with the I'm bein negative crap but I don't see this team any better than 500 the rotation while young and has potentional will probably struggle bullpen should be good but I'm not that impressed with their offense not a lot of pop and not that many clutch hitters just my opinion, doesn't mean squat

Something we all prove on occasion. So keep firing away with it.

I'm holding my breath a bit with the rotation hoping that we can stay close to .500 till the break. Then I have some hopes that things might gel for us in the second half. But I'm also worried about the lack of power. Kang is a key ingredient. He needs to get that visa and get his head straight.
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

01090A3D2B0E2926480 wrote: I guess we all take away different things after one game.  So, here's mine...

1.  I'm worried about Andrew McCutchen.  In hindsight, I will go on record as saying we should have traded him in the offseason.  I know, I know...it's one game.  I am usually the voice of "don't overreact" on here.  But, I'm going to overreact.  Cutch looked lost to me in the WBC.  I wasn't impressed with much of what I saw in ST.  And he looked overmatched today against a pitcher who wasn't really striking anyone else out.  I'll make a prediction...Neal Huntington's worst trade this year won't be Liriano.  It will be not trading Andrew McCutchen when he had the chance.  And I hate to say that.  Cutch is one of my all time favorite players.  His decline at his age is inexplicable.  But, he continued to indicate he was having a hard time picking up spin.  He was late on a couple of fastballs.  And even a mistake pitch which he usually hammers (a hanging slider over the middle of the plate in his second or third AB), was fouled off, I believe.  Another prediction...we'll be a better team with Austin Meadows in the lineup.  I can't tell you how much I hate writing this.  Please #22...prove me wrong.

2.  As frustrated as I am with Cutch, I'm excited about Cole.  Yeah, he had a bad inning.  It happens.  Other than that, he was dominant.  I'll say it again, if that's the Gerrit Cole we see for 30 more starts this year, we're in the race to the end (at least for a WC).

3.  I'm not all that impressed by Adam Frazier.  He held his own in the field and at the plate.  But, let's be honest...left field in Fenway is not the most difficult position to play defensively.  He didn't butcher anything, but Fenway has a way of hiding poor range in a left fielder.  He made a nice play on that ball off the Monster.  But, I think his lack of range will be exposed in a more expansive left field, like, say, the park where we play 81 of our games each year.

Other than that...it's one game.  We started 4-0 last year, and finished 78-83-1.  The year before that, we started 18-22, and finished 98-64.  I feel like I say this every year.  I sound like a broken record.  OK...that's all.
Let's throw a party I agree with you on all three your right they should have traded cutch for the best offer they got he simply is not the cutch we all know and loved ,Cole did dominate today looked great for almost five innings but just blew up in the fifth hopefully he continues to pitch well ,Frazier is what he s a nice utility guy nothing more pretty good hitter ok on defense
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4A46545445524454414649270 wrote: I guess we all take away different things after one game.  So, here's mine...

3.  I'm not all that impressed by Adam Frazier.  He held his own in the field and at the plate.  But, let's be honest...left field in Fenway is not the most difficult position to play defensively.  He didn't butcher anything, but Fenway has a way of hiding poor range in a left fielder.  He made a nice play on that ball off the Monster.  But, I think his lack of range will be exposed in a more expansive left field, like, say, the park where we play 81 of our games each year.

Other than that...it's one game.  We started 4-0 last year, and finished 78-83-1.  The year before that, we started 18-22, and finished 98-64.  I feel like I say this every year.  I sound like a broken record.  OK...that's all.
Let's throw a party I agree with you on all three your right they should have traded cutch for the best offer they got he simply is not the cutch we all know and loved ,Cole did dominate today looked great for almost five innings but just blew up in the fifth hopefully he continues to pitch well ,Frazier is what he s a nice utility guy nothing more pretty good hitter ok on defense

Any excuse I have to throw a party is a good excuse!
massbucsfan

Post by massbucsfan »

5A5251667055727D130 wrote: I guess we all take away different things after one game.  So, here's mine...

Any excuse I have to throw a party is a good excuse!
Yeah exactly I'm supposed to go to the game Thursday but of course with my luck it's supposed to rain hopefully not till the game is over
PMike

Post by PMike »

Cole was dominant. He was working on one of the best starts of his career, esp. given the circumstances (opening day at Fenway). As mentioned above, his velocity was as high as ever and he was hitting his spots with all of his pitches.

Then the triple. I think he was ok with that. It was the next hit. The crappy infield single by the slowest guy on their team that lost him. It allowed the first run. Then Leon dropped down the bunt that Cole misplayed and he was done. He lost it mentally. It was really too bad, esp in hindsight.

All of that said, he seems to be a really mentally tough guy. The manager and pitching coach are exactly the people you want talking to him after a game like that. They are people managers. Someone above made the comparison to Kip Wells. I strongly disagree with that. Cole is much tougher mentally. I think he learns from this and doesn't allow himself to fold mentally again.