7. Brian Goodwin (L) CF

8. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

9. Cole Tucker (S) DH

Chase De Jong (R) SP

Miguel Yajure, Kyle Crick, Michael Feliz and Sam Howard in some order
fjk090852-7

Game Thread - 3/23 - Bucs vs Twins

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Chase DeJong looks very good. It is only ST, but could have the Pirates found a pitcher who is finally putting things together.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think Matt Capps is doing a good job today in the booth. It's a world of difference working with Brown than with Block. Brown gives his color man plenty of room to provide original thoughts. Block dominates the booth with nonstop dissertations on whatever pops into his mind and his color man is basically limited to commenting on those topics. Capps didn't add much to the broadcast with Block but is doing fine with Brown.
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

4F626F7E79687F3F3C0D0 wrote: I think Matt Capps is doing a good job today in the booth. It's a world of difference working with Brown than with Block. Brown gives his color man plenty of room to provide original thoughts. Block dominates the booth with nonstop dissertations on whatever pops into his mind and his color man is basically limited to commenting on those topics. Capps didn't add much to the broadcast with Block but is doing fine with Brown.
Agree 100%
WiffleballHero

Post by WiffleballHero »

I have not met one single Pirate fan who likes Joe Block. I literally avoid listening to him as much as possible. I mean, I liked Kent Derdivanis better than I like Block. Kent Derdivanis.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

645A55555F5651525F5F7B56415C330 wrote: I have not met one single Pirate fan who likes Joe Block.  I literally avoid listening to him as much as possible.  I mean, I liked Kent Derdivanis better than I like Block.  Kent Derdivanis.

HAHA! Yeah, Block is agonizing to listen to. I avoid it at all costs.
CubbiePirate

Post by CubbiePirate »

Getting back to the game, excellent Pirate pitching or was the Twins' lineup that weak? I see some very difficult decisions regarding the 14 pitchers on the final roster.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B3D2A2A212D18213A293C2D480 wrote: Getting back to the game, excellent Pirate pitching or was the Twins' lineup that weak?  I see some very difficult decisions regarding the 14 pitchers on the final roster.
I expect them to go with 14 pitchers but I think that's counterproductive. It means the bench consists only of a catcher and 3 others despite a 26 man roster in the NL where they don't use a DH and need PHers. Just PHing twice in a game means no late inning defensive replacements or pinch runners because it makes the catcher the only one left on the bench and he needs to stay there in case of an injury to the starter. All of that just to have 9 guys in the BP despite the 3-batter minimum rule.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would just cut all the starting pitchers and go with 13 guys in the bullpen. Try to get through every game with 4 pitchers throwing about 2 innings or so. That would give us a better chance than running a bad starter out there who will go 3.1 innings and give up 5 runs ... and trust me that is going to happen A LOT.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1B392A37343136391A2D3B3B37580 wrote: I would just cut all the starting pitchers and go with 13 guys in the bullpen. Try to get through every game with 4 pitchers throwing about 2 innings or so. That would give us a better chance than running a bad starter out there who will go 3.1 innings and give up 5 runs ... and trust me that is going to happen A LOT.
That could be a very realistic prediction. :( Maybe Shelton needs to institute a 5-inning minimum rule. Pitch 5 innings no matter how poorly. (jk) :D If they need 9 relievers to bale out the starters, they won't be winning many games anyway. So make the starters pitch and don't short change the rest of the team with a 4-man bench.