8/16 Game Thread...Taillon is a Giant killer...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

1B3D30303D2835325C0 wrote: Huge double play bottom of the 8th!

4 more outs.
I am apparently a contrarien. These are the kind of plays winners make. Got a feeling about this tream...

I fell asleep and missed the apparent drama of the bottom of the 9th! But this is a huge win. Winning 4 of 6 on the west coast trip; you take that every day. But if they win tomorrow to finish 5 of 6 - WOW.

To your "feeling" about this team - this does not seem like a team that anyone should get too attached to, surely they will break your heart. But....

This is like an entirely new team. It "feels" like a new team. This isn't the team that struggled against Altanta, Milwaukee, etc. This isn't a team that stumbled into LA and SF and hung-on to lucky wins.

I don't know how a team gets a new life out of no-where, but this sure feels like a new team. Or maybe I'm allowing myself to get set up for a broken heart....

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5552444C4255121E67404A464E4B0944484A270 wrote:

I don't know how a team gets a new life out of no-where, but this sure feels like a new team. 
I think it's because we aren't seeing bad start after bad start after bad start from Liriano, Niese and Locke. Taillon, Kuhl and Nova give the team a fighting chance to string some wins together.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote:

I don't know how a team gets a new life out of no-where, but this sure feels like a new team. 
I think it's because we aren't seeing bad start after bad start after bad start from Liriano, Niese and Locke. Taillon, Kuhl and Nova give the team a fighting chance to string some wins together.

And Vogelsong is too. I know it's a small sample size for him and Nova, but now all the starters have ERA's under 4.

The bullpen hasn't missed a beat swapping Melancon for Rivero and the offense has been above average all season. It was just a matter of getting some consistent efficiency from the rotation.

That said, we're still talking about a rotation with two rookies, Ivan Nova and Ryan Vogelsong, I'm not confident that they can hold it together through September.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5E637D707F757E5C7463727475110 wrote:

And Vogelsong is too.  I know it's a small sample size for him and Nova, but now all the starters have ERA's under 4.

The bullpen hasn't missed a beat swapping Melancon for Rivero and the offense has been above average all season.  It was just a matter of getting some consistent efficiency from the rotation.

That said, we're still talking about a rotation with two rookies, Ivan Nova and Ryan Vogelsong,  I'm not confident that they can hold it together through September.

Yes, it remains to be seen if the rotation can hold it together. But so far, so good. And Vogelsong has also helkped. They've won 3 straight and 5 of 6. In those 5 wins, the opposition has scored only 12 runs. When the rotation included the guys no longer in it, the poorly pitched games were way too frequent to string a bunch of wins together.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

In our last eleven games, the pitching staff has an ERA of 3.21.

The starters minus Cole (who has been the only sp that has struggled) has an ERA 2.57 over that same eleven games.

We do that, we're in every game and we'll win more than we lose.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Not only has the pitching been better, but the guys who were counted on to produce at the plate are doing that too.

McCutchen, Harrison, Kang, and Cervelli have been hitting. Jaso has a couple good at bats in there too. These guys are also the key.

Harrison has been showing that range everyone talks about on defense too. His whole game has picked up. He can be a spark again like he was in the past.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

By far the main reason for this recent surge is the stabilized rotation simply throwing strikes. I keep contrasting Liriano walking the ballpark every fifth day, versus the series in LA when the Pirates walked a grand total of one hitter. Like Ray Miller always said, work fast (sorry, Bastardo), change speeds, throw strikes.

And offensively, we're seeing the domino effect of a rejuvenated Cutch. If you're an opposing pitcher, you've got to worry about The Baddest Dude In The League again, and that has trickled down to everybody 1-8 in the order.

Someone said the two biggest keys were Cutch and Liriano. Cutch sure seems to be back, Liriano isn't the Pirates' problem anymore, so no wonder they're getting hot right now.
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Not only has the pitching been better, but the guys who were counted on to produce at the plate are doing that too.

McCutchen, Harrison, Kang, and Cervelli have been hitting.  Jaso has a couple good at bats in there too.  These guys are also the key.

Harrison has been showing that range everyone talks about on defense too.  His whole game has picked up.  He can be a spark again like he was in the past. 

NH said about deadline trades that we had much better offensive options on our own team if they would just play at their norms. Looks like that is happening. They are (finally) getting a little offensive swagger back.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

6B60686461607B3E384F766E676060216C600F0 wrote:

Harrison has been showing that range everyone talks about on defense too.  His whole game has picked up.  He can be a spark again like he was in the past. 

I'm gonna throw in another reason - Josh Harrison. There was a critical period where Josh was the one guy holding this team up. He never stopped pouring energy into this team, every ounce of energy.

A week or two back there was some conversation about whether there is any leader left on the team. To his credit, I truly believe Josh is leading this team (watching him singing and laughing on 3rd base on Monday was one of the highlights kf this or any season).

I know that many on here will blown this off, but I don't think Jhay's passion and energy can be overstated.