Nice Start From Kingham Tonight

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

with some rookie pitchers you also have the "jeff locke"

look like a stud in the making in rookie year, but league adjusts and never reach those levels again.

trading williams now, might be his peak value

packge him with a nice looking prospect with good numbers this year Like Edwin Espinal who is blocked at 1b

maybe you get a decent young position player with upside.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2B222A3B354F0 wrote: When you look at minor league lines and his stuff, it looks like Williams is pitching over his head I agree with that. 

Kuhl really throws hard, so seems hes more viable to stick.

NH has to figure it out and successfully turn this situation into assets for the team next year.   
I don't know about pitching over his head. Williams had a better ERA in AAA than Cole. Williams was an early 2nd rd pick (44th overall) in the 2013 draft, so he was pretty highly regarded. He doesn't throw as hard as some but he seems to know what he's doing. After being moved from the BP to the rotation and struggling in his first 4 starts, he has become pretty consistent. He's gone at least 6 innings (including 7 three times) 8 times in his past 13 starts and has given up more than 3 runs just twice in his past 16 starts.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

624948554E564F635442424E210 wrote:

Very true.  But don't forget Jeff Locke got 81 starts and had a winning record (barely) for a playoff team for three years.  He was never great, but he lasted for a good period of time.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote:

Very true.  But don't forget Jeff Locke got 81 starts and had a winning record (barely) for a playoff team for three years.  He was never great, but he lasted for a good period of time.

Locke is a decent comparison in that he doesn't have overwhelming stuff and depended heavily on his control being good to do well. His stuff was maybe a little better than Williams' with his control not as good.

I think with most #5's in rotations, you're going to have guys like this with low margins for error. They can look great when their control is on, but when it slips even a little or they don't get those borderline calls, they can get blown up.

The one thing I will say for Williams is that he's reminding me of a lesser version of (good) Nova right now. He pours in strikes early, just not in the middle of the zone. He's working both sides of the plate. And he's had a knack for generating groundballs in key situations. Even with Nova, whose stuff is much better, we see now how a modest difference in control changes the results.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D7A6C5B4D4D412E0 wrote:

Locke is a decent comparison in that he doesn't have overwhelming stuff and depended heavily on his control being good to do well.  His stuff was maybe a little better than Williams' with his control not as good.

I think with most #5's in rotations, you're going to have guys like this with low margins for error.  They can look great when their control is on, but when it slips even a little or they don't get those borderline calls, they can get blown up.

The one thing I will say for Williams is that he's reminding me of a lesser version of (good) Nova right now.  He pours in strikes early, just not in the middle of the zone.  He's working both sides of the plate.  And he's had a knack for generating groundballs in key situations.  Even with Nova, whose stuff is much better, we see now how a modest difference in control changes the results.
Locke needed pinpoint accuracy because he lived on the edges of the plate and seemed afraid to throw strikes. He needed to get the borderline calls but that didn't happen often enough. He could be tough if he had a favorable ump. Otherwise walks and getting behind in the count forced him to throw his hittable strikes. Didn't take long for Miami to dump him and he's currently out of baseball. I guess when your style of pitching requires umpires to be generous, the chances of success are limited.