Game Thread - July 29, 2022 - Buc vs Phils

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

I'm just so sick of watching Shelton over manage over and over again. Why did he have to remove Yerry D. No one on 1 out he seems to have good stuff, but no he had to put in a left hander to face a lefty hitter. Why oh why does this guy still have a job. No matter how much talent the Pirates acquire, Shelton will figure out a way to lose. I'm so tired of wasting hours watching a game to see him lose game after game. He's totally incompetent.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

465E5C5B5B4C5D5A474650350 wrote: I'm just so sick of watching Shelton over manage over and over again.  Why did he have to remove Yerry D.   No one on 1 out he seems to have good stuff, but no he had to put in a left hander to face a lefty hitter.  Why oh why does this guy still have a job.  No matter how much talent the Pirates acquire, Shelton will figure out a way to lose.  I'm so tired of wasting hours watching a game to see him lose game after game.  He's totally incompetent.
It appears you are not happy with Shelton's managerial skills! :D :D
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

796163646473626578796F0A0 wrote: I'm just so sick of watching Shelton over manage over and over again.  Why did he have to remove Yerry D.   No one on 1 out he seems to have good stuff, but no he had to put in a left hander to face a lefty hitter.  Why oh why does this guy still have a job.  No matter how much talent the Pirates acquire, Shelton will figure out a way to lose.  I'm so tired of wasting hours watching a game to see him lose game after game.  He's totally incompetent.
It's depressing to see the players trying to win and having the manager make it even harder than it needs to be. Whether it's pulling effective pitchers, benching hot hitters, putting VanMeter at leadoff or cleanup, putting Yoshi at cleanup or previously clogging the basepaths with Vogelbach leading off, there is nothing subtle about Shelton's shortcomings. He doesn't even appear good at making sure his young developing players are fundamentally sound. He is such an obvious, over-the-top bad manager that it's difficult to find a reason not to fire him. Except that the guy who would have to fire him is the guy who hired him.

BC has done some good things acquiring talent thru trades and drafts but he doesn't seem to want to address his glaring errors. He hired a completely incompetent manager. He convinced his tight-fisted boss that it would be worth the money to sign Yoshi for 4 million. He traded a minor leaguer to acquire VanMeter. So Shelton continues to manage and those guys continue to play. And none of them are getting any better. BC needs to cut his losses and make changes to rectify the problems he caused. If he's worried that making changes will highlight his mistakes and cause his boss to lose confidence in him, BC will look a lot better if his team is well managed and the roster doesn't carry dead weight.
bucs607179

Post by bucs607179 »

4B7570786B737378587D6A792E1C0 wrote: Underwood- 0-2 on the batter and throws it right down the middle. damn it! 4-2 phillies

After watching these first two games I'm surprised you are not asking me if we should go up to Philly when the boys come in.

Bright side, you'll be seeing the Pirates double A team this week. Maybe you will be seeing the guys that will lead us to the promise land and by promise land I mean a .500 season.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

4C5B4D5D181E191F19172E0 wrote: Underwood- 0-2 on the batter and throws it right down the middle. damn it! 4-2 phillies

After watching these first two games I'm surprised you are not asking me if we should go up to Philly when the boys come in.

Bright side, you'll be seeing the Pirates double A team this week. Maybe you will be seeing the guys that will lead us to the promise land and by promise land I mean a .500 season.

yep, going to make the pilgrimage to Altoona. Was hoping to see Davis but doubt if he will play. Maybe Priester.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: I'm just so sick of watching Shelton over manage over and over again.  Why did he have to remove Yerry D.   No one on 1 out he seems to have good stuff, but no he had to put in a left hander to face a lefty hitter.  Why oh why does this guy still have a job.  No matter how much talent the Pirates acquire, Shelton will figure out a way to lose.  I'm so tired of wasting hours watching a game to see him lose game after game.  He's totally incompetent.
It's depressing to see the players trying to win and having the manager make it even harder than it needs to be. Whether it's pulling effective pitchers, benching hot hitters, putting VanMeter at leadoff or cleanup, putting Yoshi at cleanup or previously clogging the basepaths with Vogelbach leading off, there is nothing subtle about Shelton's shortcomings. He doesn't even appear good at making sure his young developing players are fundamentally sound. He is such an obvious, over-the-top bad manager that it's difficult to find a reason not to fire him. Except that the guy who would have to fire him is the guy who hired him.

BC has done some good things acquiring talent thru trades and drafts but he doesn't seem to want to address his glaring errors. He hired a completely incompetent manager. He convinced his tight-fisted boss that it would be worth the money to sign Yoshi for 4 million. He traded a minor leaguer to acquire VanMeter. So Shelton continues to manage and those guys continue to play. And none of them are getting any better. BC needs to cut his losses and make changes to rectify the problems he caused. If he's worried that making changes will highlight his mistakes and cause his boss to lose confidence in him, BC will look a lot better if his team is well managed and the roster doesn't carry dead weight.
Agree wholeheartedly
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

John Russell got three full years with a remarkably similar record.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

1E2D3130333B0D302B372C2B3A36315F0 wrote: John Russell got three full years with a remarkably similar record.
The only difference between the two is hmmm, I can't think of any

except Shelton can talk
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

695A4647444C7A475C405B5C4D4146280 wrote: John Russell got three full years with a remarkably similar record.
The W-L record shouldn't be that much of an issue when assessing a manager. A bad team will have a bad record. It's the day to day decisions the manager makes that show his effectiveness. Russell did nothing. As a manager, he seemed more like a fan who got a good seat to watch the game from the dugout. He didn't deem to make a lot of stupid decisions because it seemed he rarely made decisions. Maybe he felt he had a bad team no matter what he did so he did nothing. Shelton would be better off doing nothing. Instead, he constantly makes bizarre lineup and pitching decisions. Maybe he should try sleeping through the games. It would be an improvement.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

436E63727564733330010 wrote: John Russell got three full years with a remarkably similar record.
The W-L record shouldn't be that much of an issue when assessing a manager. A bad team will have a bad record. It's the day to day decisions the manager makes that show his effectiveness. Russell did nothing. As a manager, he seemed more like a fan who got a good seat to watch the game from the dugout. He didn't deem to make a lot of stupid decisions because it seemed he rarely made decisions. Maybe he felt he had a bad team no matter what he did so he did nothing. Shelton would be better off doing nothing. Instead, he constantly makes bizarre lineup and pitching decisions. Maybe he should try sleeping through the games. It would be an improvement.
If somehow and this is not likely to happen, Shelton would be fired. Who would you like to see get the job? As for me, I like

Joe Giardi. I know Shelton came cheap. Giardi wouldn't be.