Giants Series

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Giants Series

Post by fjk090852-7 »

My guess is that they will skip Taillion a couple starts in September, and insert Drew Hutchison in the rotation. If they somehow would win the Wild Card Game they may want Taillion for the Division Series.
ChitownBucco

Giants Series

Post by ChitownBucco »

I read that Neal said the pirates are discussing a 6 man rotation come sept 1. So with that and a skipped start for Tallion let's hope he'll be ok
UtahPirate

Giants Series

Post by UtahPirate »

4E656479627A634F786E6E620D0 wrote: I read that Neal said the pirates are discussing a 6 man rotation come sept 1. So with that and a skipped start for Tallion let's hope he'll be ok

I keep thinking we'll see Williams in September. Wasn't fantastic last night (5 IP, 2 R, 7 H, 1BB, 4K), but has been very steady. Of course none of us talk about Frank Duncan, but he's come out of nowhere and been very consistent at AAA. I think we'll see one or both of them in September. Brault has struggled since he was sent back to AAA, but he could get another start or two as well. It's easy to see how we might go a couple of weeks with a 6 man rotation that doesn't include Tallion.

Indianapolis is not going to the playoffs and we'll probably pull some guys earlier than normal as well.
ChitownBucco

Giants Series

Post by ChitownBucco »

0D2C393008312A392C3D580 wrote: I read that Neal said the pirates are discussing a 6 man rotation come sept 1. So with that and a skipped start for Tallion let's hope he'll be ok

I keep thinking we'll see Williams in September. Wasn't fantastic last night (5 IP, 2 R, 7 H, 1BB, 4K), but has been very steady. Of course none of us talk about Frank Duncan, but he's come out of nowhere and been very consistent at AAA. I think we'll see one or both of them in September. Brault has struggled since he was sent back to AAA, but he could get another start or two as well. It's easy to see how we might go a couple of weeks with a 6 man rotation that doesn't include Tallion.

Indianapolis is not going to the playoffs and we'll probably pull some guys earlier than normal as well.

Gotta add Williams and Duncan to the 40 man roster first. I'd like to see them added and maybe Osuna as well. Prob time to cut gift ngoepe loose. Not sure what other moves to open up space. Lobstein?
MaineBucs

Giants Series

Post by MaineBucs »

Some folks who should have been doing better earlier in the year have also picked up their games.

Cervelli has finally started to spray a few hits to the outfield.

Harrison has looked better in the 1 slot than the 6 or 7 slot,

Kang remembers that he is a power hitter.

McCutchen actually drives in a run, even though he was a bit overly dramatic while standing on first base.

And Freeze and Rodriguez are seeing more time at first than Jaso.

Clearly the starting pitching has been better and has most of the pen, but the hitting has often been a big part as well.

Going to try and stay up again tonight to take in the game.

Lastly, I'm not sure who is out there (not Papelbon), but now that the Bucs may again be a living and breathing team, I would hope that management would consider adding to the pen to replace Hughes, if the cost is not too great (I also was one of the posters who strongly urged the team to sell).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Giants Series

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think it is now up to Hurdle to manage properly. I am not a fan of his strategic moves and how he wastes players, but his moves need to be more precise.

He actually had a double switch Monday night that was correct. He kept Feliz in the game and replaced his batting spot. That move even led to a run.

A couple games ago a poster wanted him to pinch hit for Jaso, but he didn't in the third inning. Then he later pinched hit for Frazier in a similar situation. I was against the Jaso pinch hitting, but if he is going to play match ups he needs to play them with all the "weaker" players.

Vogelsong didn't want to come out last night, but Hurdle still made the move. That was good of him to do that. I agreed with Vogelsong starting the inning. I also didn't expect two HRs.

Correct moves made by Hurdle down the stretch can be huge. Giving the right players the right playing time will be huge too. He needs to ride the hot bat too.
skinnyhorse

Giants Series

Post by skinnyhorse »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: I think it is now up to Hurdle to manage properly.  I am not a fan of his strategic moves and how he wastes players, but his moves need to be more precise.

He actually had a double switch Monday night that was correct.  He kept Feliz in the game and replaced his batting spot.  That move even led to a run.

A couple games ago a poster wanted him to pinch hit for Jaso, but he didn't in the third inning.  Then he later pinched hit for Frazier in a similar situation.  I was against the Jaso pinch hitting, but if he is going to play match ups he needs to play them with all the "weaker" players. 

Vogelsong didn't want to come out last night, but Hurdle still made the move. That was good of him to do that.  I agreed with Vogelsong starting the inning.  I also didn't expect two HRs. 

Correct moves made by Hurdle down the stretch can be huge.  Giving the right players the right playing time will be huge too.  He needs to ride the hot bat too.
Agree mostly, the game last Saturday may have been the worst managed games I've seen. He made every wrong move that game and we can't afford anymore this year if it's not already to late.
Quail

Giants Series

Post by Quail »

It's definitely not too late for the Pirates to make the playoffs. I'm not convinced yet that everything that seems to be coming together right now will continue, but I'm not convinced otherwise either.

As MaineBucs outlined in his post there are positive signs from Cervelli, Kang and Cutch that their production is trending toward their norms, the starting pitching has become respectable and the bullpen continues to get the job done. If all of these things continue in the direction they appear to be heading right now I think they'll get a WC berth.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Giants Series

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Funny how the last time the Pirates played the Giants, they only have one starter left in the organization.

Locke beat Baumgardner in game one. Then Boscan, Liriano, and Niese all lost. Only Locke still in the organization. I assume he is out of the rotation too.