Nice Start From Kingham Tonight

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Post by PMike »

5E637D707F757E5C7463727475110 wrote: I think that Glasnow needs one more shot at least to make the rotation, if he falters again next year then he should be moved to the bullpen.

Either way, Brault, Kingham and Glasnow have nothing left to prove in AAA and need to make the MLB roster.  I think the logical answer is to move some pitching to upgrade other places on the roster.  Kuhl and Williams are all of a sudden very valuable commodities for low payroll teams looking for cost controlled starting MLB pitchers.  I'm not sure who will be rebuilding this offseaon with pieces to offer, but those two could be packaged with prospects for a strong MLB roster player.

I agree with the premise. They have a bunch of starting pitching. That said, they have been pretty lucky this year. They have only used 6 starting pitchers! That is pretty shocking. I would be comfortable with Brault, Glasnow, or Kingham in the rotation. Perhaps even Hutchison or Holmes.

Next year, as has been mentioned, Kingham (I think) has to be on the MLB roster. There is no point in keeping Glasnow or Brault down. They have proven themselves. I, too, think they need to make a trade.

I would look to trade Cole and Williams. Cole will never make people around here happy. If he isn't pitching like Bumgarner or Kershaw, it won't be enough. Plus, I think he just gets hit too hard. I think he would get a huge return and give them some solid prospects to replenish the system.

I don't think Williams is as good as he has looked recently. This offseason would be a good time to trade him for prospects or for a strong relief pitcher. They really don't have any openings in the rotation or the lineup.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I know what you're saying, but a little tiny alarm bell goes off in my brain every time I hear "we have too many starting pitchers"
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

110C282A24410 wrote: I think that Glasnow needs one more shot at least to make the rotation, if he falters again next year then he should be moved to the bullpen.

Either way, Brault, Kingham and Glasnow have nothing left to prove in AAA and need to make the MLB roster.  I think the logical answer is to move some pitching to upgrade other places on the roster.  Kuhl and Williams are all of a sudden very valuable commodities for low payroll teams looking for cost controlled starting MLB pitchers.  I'm not sure who will be rebuilding this offseaon with pieces to offer, but those two could be packaged with prospects for a strong MLB roster player.

I agree with the premise.  They have a bunch of starting pitching.  That said, they have been pretty lucky this year.  They have only used 6 starting pitchers!  That is pretty shocking.  I would be comfortable with Brault, Glasnow, or Kingham in the rotation.  Perhaps even Hutchison or Holmes.

Next year, as has been mentioned, Kingham (I think) has to be on the MLB roster.  There is no point in keeping Glasnow or Brault down.  They have proven themselves.  I, too, think they need to make a trade.

I would look to trade Cole and Williams.  Cole will never make people around here happy.  If he isn't pitching like Bumgarner or Kershaw, it won't be enough.  Plus, I think he just gets hit too hard.  I think he would get a huge return and give them some solid prospects to replenish the system.

I don't think Williams is as good as he has looked recently.  This offseason would be a good time to trade him for prospects or for a strong relief pitcher.  They really don't have any openings in the rotation or the lineup.
Yeah, I think it's more the getting hit hard part that discourages fans. LOL. In any event, Cole's time is limited as he is a FA in 2020. Nova is also a FA in 2020. One or both could be traded before their contracts expire. So the Bucs need to be thinking ahead and grooming replacements. They've got a surplus of young starters now but better hang onto a few.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

75684C4E40250 wrote:

I agree with the premise.  They have a bunch of starting pitching.  That said, they have been pretty lucky this year.  They have only used 6 starting pitchers!  That is pretty shocking.  I would be comfortable with Brault, Glasnow, or Kingham in the rotation.  Perhaps even Hutchison or Holmes.

Next year, as has been mentioned, Kingham (I think) has to be on the MLB roster.  There is no point in keeping Glasnow or Brault down.  They have proven themselves.  I, too, think they need to make a trade.

I would look to trade Cole and Williams.  Cole will never make people around here happy.  If he isn't pitching like Bumgarner or Kershaw, it won't be enough.  Plus, I think he just gets hit too hard.  I think he would get a huge return and give them some solid prospects to replenish the system.

I don't think Williams is as good as he has looked recently.  This offseason would be a good time to trade him for prospects or for a strong relief pitcher.  They really don't have any openings in the rotation or the lineup.

Cole makes me happy. Like you said, people think he should be the Cy Young every year. Cole would be in every single rotation in all of baseball.

Isn't Williams still a prospect? He is in his rookie year and you want to trade him for prospects? I don't get this thinking. Why not just use him for your team instead of trying to flip everyone when they become good?

There is a weird theory on how the Pirates can't or won't sign anyone long term and they will be a Yankee soon. Yet, pretty much almost every player has got a deal and I can't think of anyone who left and signed with the Yankees for more money. Am I missing someone?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

444F474B4E4F541117605941484F4F0E434F200 wrote:

Cole makes me happy.  Like you said, people think he should be the Cy Young every year.  Cole would be in every single rotation in all of baseball.

Isn't Williams still a prospect?  He is in his rookie year and you want to trade him for prospects?  I don't get this thinking.  Why not just use him for your team instead of trying to flip everyone when they become good?

There is a weird theory on how the Pirates can't or won't sign anyone long term and they will be a Yankee soon.  Yet, pretty much almost every player has got a deal and I can't think of anyone who left and signed with the Yankees for more money.  Am I missing someone?

I agree with you Dog, but to be fair, the Pirates rarely let a guy walk to sign with the Yankees or anyone else. They trade their pending FAs (as do most teams) to at least get something for them before they walk.
PMike

Post by PMike »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote:

Cole makes me happy.  Like you said, people think he should be the Cy Young every year.  Cole would be in every single rotation in all of baseball.

Isn't Williams still a prospect?  He is in his rookie year and you want to trade him for prospects?  I don't get this thinking.  Why not just use him for your team instead of trying to flip everyone when they become good?

There is a weird theory on how the Pirates can't or won't sign anyone long term and they will be a Yankee soon.  Yet, pretty much almost every player has got a deal and I can't think of anyone who left and signed with the Yankees for more money.  Am I missing someone?

Williams is a rookie. The reason why I suggested trading him is because they have a glut of guys that are all in the same bracket (ready to step into the majors or just got here). They have more bodies than rotation spots. I think he is pitching over his head right now so I suggest trading him at peak value. In that trade, I'd look for other assets (lower level minor league prospects or bullpen help). The fact that he is a rookie and cost controlled adds more value to the idea of trading him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

"Trevor Williams is good, let's trade him for prospects".

This is just a revolving door. Williams was a prospect that was traded for by the Pirates because someone got too good at his job (Benedict).

My McCutchen Yankees' jersey was a bad purchase five years ago. People think it is a Jacoby Ellisbury jersey.
BenM

Post by BenM »

6B5955554173505954515E59380 wrote: I know what you're saying, but a little tiny alarm bell goes off in my brain every time I hear "we have too many starting pitchers"

Ask the Mets about that.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

When you look at minor league lines and his stuff, it looks like Williams is pitching over his head I agree with that.

Kuhl really throws hard, so seems hes more viable to stick.

NH has to figure it out and successfully turn this situation into assets for the team next year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

656C64757B010 wrote: When you look at minor league lines and his stuff, it looks like Williams is pitching over his head I agree with that. 

Kuhl really throws hard, so seems hes more viable to stick.

NH has to figure it out and successfully turn this situation into assets for the team next year.   

I agree. There has to be a team out there ready to swap similar prospects. The Pirates trade a pitcher (Kingham, Holmes, Hutchison, Brault) for a blocked position player in the same situation on the same level.