Changing The Culture

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Changing The Culture

Post by MaineBucs »

Kansas Fan

I believe a lot of what happened centered on who the team added when it chose not to trade for or sign good replacement players after a great three year run through 2015.

The Bucs banked on being able to turn around pitchers like Neise and Vogelsong to fill the gap created by Burnett's retirement and Happ selecting free agency. It also hurt when prospects like Tallion were not ready to step up, and Liriano no longer being able to make it as a good starter.

The Bucs also turned to John Jaso at first. He had little power and his obp was driven by platoon splits. In short, a bad choice that largely appears driven by payroll considerations.

I fully agree with you that NH's failure to move Vasquez was inexplicable when the team clearly was in a deep dive to futility last year.

Payroll spending is not the only reason the franchise is now hurting, but eventually squeezing nickles everyday has a real cost --- losing on the field and losing fan interest. The only black-out (original black-out was a great day in Pittsburgh) this team may experience any time soon is when the few fans in the stands wear black as if being at a funeral.

And, as you noted, Cutch declined. Coupled with that was Harrison returning to earth after what clearly was a career year, and Polanco failing to develop. .
PMike

Changing The Culture

Post by PMike »

745850575C7B4C5A4A390 wrote: Kansas Fan

I believe a lot of what happened centered on who the team added when it chose not to trade for or sign good replacement players after a great three year run through 2015. 

The Bucs banked on being able to turn around pitchers like Neise and Vogelsong to fill the gap created by Burnett's retirement and Happ selecting free agency.  It also hurt when prospects like Tallion were not ready to step up, and Liriano no longer being able to make it as a good starter.

The Bucs also turned to John Jaso at first.  He had little power and his obp was driven by platoon splits.  In short, a bad choice that largely appears driven by payroll considerations.

I fully agree with you that NH's failure to move Vasquez was inexplicable when the team clearly was in a deep dive to futility last year.

Payroll spending is not the only reason the franchise is now hurting, but eventually squeezing nickles everyday has a real cost --- losing on the field and losing fan interest.  The only black-out (original black-out was a great day in Pittsburgh) this team may experience any time soon is when the few fans in the stands wear black as if being at a funeral.

And, as you noted, Cutch declined.  Coupled with that was Harrison returning to earth after what clearly was a career year, and Polanco failing to develop.  .      

Cole also declined big time after those playoff years. If I was NH right now, I'd be pretty bitter about Cole's decline in his last two years in Pittsburgh and then meteoric rise in Houston. I know a big part of this may be advanced analytics and data. But just think what NH could have done trading Cy Young Cole a year and a half ago or this past season at the All Star break... Heck, anyone of us on this board could have traded him to another team for at least two top 100 prospects and more.
johnfluharty

Changing The Culture

Post by johnfluharty »

Even if our payroll does not change much, we can look at the Rays as proof that you can still be reasonably successful.  They have had a winning record in 6 of the last 10 years and have never had an opening day payroll that topped $80M.  I am hoping our new management team is that good.