Calling out Cubs

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

INbuc

Calling out Cubs

Post by INbuc »

I did not see the games against the Cubs and the antics by Javy Baez that drew criticism from Hurdle. While it doesn’t surprise me the flamboyant Baez would draw attention / criticism to himself, I was a bit surprised Hurdle sounded off about it.

The Cubs are young, and talented, and very full of themselves. Between Baez, Contreras, Rizzo et al, there will be endless opportunities for them to agitate opponents over the course of a year. Calling them out could really ignite this rivalry.

For those that watched, were you surprised Hurdle voiced his feelings?
OrlandoMerced

Calling out Cubs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Seems like the team had internal discussions with Baez independent of Hurdle's rant. I think Baez is a bit of a showboat and an outlier on that team of dudes that seem to go about their business in a pretty clean way. Rizzo and Bryant appear to be good character guys.
Bobster21

Calling out Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

It was odd. Baez didn't flip the bat when he hit 2 HRs. He flipped it when he popped out and didn't get the 3rd one. It was like he was frustrated for not getting another HR. Hurdle felt it was showing up his pitcher because Baez was acting like he couldn't believe he wouldn't have hit a 3rd HR.
ChitownBucco

Calling out Cubs

Post by ChitownBucco »

heard a few Chicago media people not too impressed by Hurdle's comments
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Calling out Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

735E53424554430300310 wrote: It was odd. Baez didn't flip the bat when he hit 2 HRs. He flipped it when he popped out and didn't get the 3rd one. It was like he was frustrated for not getting another HR. Hurdle felt it was showing up his pitcher because Baez was acting like he couldn't believe he wouldn't have hit a 3rd HR.

I took it as Hurdle was saying he was acting childish and he will get out more than he will get a hit. The fact he threw the bat so high in disgust.

It's all over Twitter too. Sounds like a non-story to me.
SteadyFreddy

Calling out Cubs

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Yea this isn’t that big of a deal to me either the way I see it. Maddon came out today and called Hurdle out on it saying something like “It reveals more about the person who made the comments.”  So I think it’s a non issue as long as the Pirates continue to beat the Cubs on the field and take 2 out of 3 from them that’s all I really care about. Maybe Maddon is a little annoyed already that a team he thought he wouldn’t have to worry about in this division already beat him 2 out of 3 times in their own ballpark and is looking up at them in the standings. The Pirates keep playing like this Maddon won’t have to worry too much about the Cards or Brewers they won’t be his biggest problem the Pirates will be.
Quail

Calling out Cubs

Post by Quail »

Tempest in a teacup. Seems to me to be illustrative of a contrast of generational styles concerning etiquette on the playing field. Stoic versus demonstrative. Sinatra versus Elvis. Age versus youth. Get off of my lawn! Same as it ever was.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Calling out Cubs

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Was Hurdle asked or did he just come out and say it?

If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question. If he came out on his own and said something, I can see some fault in not minding his own clubhouse (business).

Quail said it best too.
OrlandoMerced

Calling out Cubs

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Pirates came back the next day and whooped them. So, as far as they are concerned, case closed. Maddon can complain all he wants.
Bobster21

Calling out Cubs

Post by Bobster21 »

59525A565352490C0A7D445C555252135E523D0 wrote: Was Hurdle asked or did he just come out and say it?

If you don't want an answer, don't ask the question.  If he came out on his own and said something, I can see some fault in not minding his own clubhouse (business).

Quail said it best too.
That's a good point. I don't know the answer. But whenever someone responds to a question and says something controversial, the media plays it up as tho a press conference had been called to talk about it.