Rule 5 Draft Will Present Difficult Choices for Pirates

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

Yes, some will say that some of the people I worry about losing would be unwanted by any other franchise, but I don't buy that. Our organizational problem is that we have too many "just barely" MLB-quality players, and we will have to leave some of them unprotected.

Here's a list of the 6 players (with ages) I think we most need to protect who are not currently on the 40-man:

Omar Cruz,23, ranked 26th, probably the most MLB-ready lefty starter in our system

Tahnaj Thomas,21, righty starter currently our 13th ranked prospect

Yerry De Los Santos,23, arguably the top relief prospect not on our 40-man

Mason Martin,21, 17th-ranked prospect, sole 1st base prospect in a power-starved system

Liover Peguero,20, future shortstop and 5th ranked prospect

Travis Swaggerty, 16th-ranked prospect who could help our OF next season if healthy

It was tough leaving some of the following newly-eligible off my list:

Santiago Florez,20, rising righty who I hope is young enough to escape the Rule 5

Eddy Yean,19, bad year so he shouldn't be selected

Diego Castillo,23, probably good enough to be a utility INF right now

Canaan Smith-Njigbe,22, 27th ranked prospect who might help our OF next season

Cal Mitchell,22, 18th-ranked, could also help our OF soon

Tough as these choices were, consider the current 40-man guys I'm letting go. I'm listing 10 pitchers:

Dillon Peters,28, a rare lefty starter who's been decent. Tough choice.

Cody Ponce,27, classic AAAA pitcher

Chase DeJong,27, nice story but no room for him

Trevor Cahill,33, easiest cut of all

Jose Soriano,22, with injury concerns, we have to take a chance

Chasen Shreve,30, free agent but could be resigned once 60-Day returns

Enyel De Los Santos,25, haven't seen enough to know but gets lost in numbers game

Shelby Miller,30, second easiest cut

Connor Overton,28, but I reserve the right to change my mind, as he is my final cut given fine small sample pitching

Kyle Keller,28, amazed that he's still on the roster

Shea Spitzbarth,26, does the most with what he's got but AAAA type

I'm letting go of 7 position players. The list includes 3 guys who are free agents and a couple I wouldn't mind resigning.

Mike Perez,28, good defensive catcher but I think he'll be available as FA if we can't do better

Taylor Davis,31, AAAA catcher

Wilmer Difo,29, good utility man free agent

Phil Evans,28, awful year and too many guys advancing behind him

Jared Oliva,25, might lose him in Rule 5 but we have better choices now at AAA

Ben Gamel,28, free agent I'd like to resign

Yoshi Tsutsugo,29, another free agent I'd like to resign, probably the best power hitter on the team

Here's who is left on the 40-man, with an allowance for 2 FA's:

17 Pitchers in alphabetical order:

Anthony Banda,27

David Bednar,26

Steve Brault,29

JT Brubaker,27

Blake Cederlind,25

Roansy Contreras,21

Wil Crowe,26

Sam Howard,28

Mitch Keller,25

Max Kranick,23

Chad Kuhl,28

Nick Mears,24

Luis Oviedo,21

Chris Stratton,30

Duane Underwood,26

Bryse Wilson,23

Miguel Yajure,22

2 Catchers

Jacob Stallings,31

FA to be acquired,?

8 Infielders:

Colin Moran,28

Cole Tucker,24

Kevin Newman.27

Ke'Bryan Hayes,24

Rodolfo Castro,21

Michael Chavis,25

Oneill Cruz,22

Tucupita Marcano,21

4 Outfielders:

Anthony Alford,26

Bryan Reynolds,26

Hoy Park,25

Resigned FA,?

Some fast math: 17+2+8+4+6=37

Could someone talk me into Overton instead of Underwood? Ask me at season's end.

Do I think Diego Castillo should be protected? Yes.

Do I think we should protect at least one of Njigba-Smith or Mitchell? Yes.

Would I like to resign both Gamel and Tsutsugo? Yes.

Would I like to see us bring Taylor Anderson back to Pittsburgh to be our ace? You betcha.

I'm keeping my dreams small. I'm hoping for improvements by young players. I hope this post wasn't so long and boring that you've quit reading it, but if you've come this far, please tell me what you think.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I think Gamel has to stay. He's under control until 2023. I would like to see FAs Tsutsugo and Shreve be re-signed. Brault is always hurt and only mediocre when healthy. So he could go. Kuhl could go too. I don't see much value in Kranick, Howard or Underwood. Peters might be worth holding onto. And if they could re-sign Tsutsogo, I'd deal Moran for whatever he could bring.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Good post to start the conversation.

I've always liked Gamel. Would like to see him stay.

I'd move Moran regardless whether Yoshi resigns, and throw a few bucks on a 2 year deal to someone like CJ Cron to hold down 1st until Martin is ready. I'd let Tucker go.

Howard, Underwood, Kranick, Brault, Mears, and Kuhl could all move on and I don't think they would be missed, but I would hang on to Peters and Shreve. Peters could alway go to the pen and give you a lefty to help balance the relief staff.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Great thread starter SyrBucco. OBN can usually count on you to start something great.

I do agree with Bobster though with letting Kuhl & Brault go. It is a shame that they have not worked out as expected. The only suggestion I have is about Bobster's recommendation of trading Moran for whatever we can get. Do you think that we can get someone to replace Robby Inkmadipshit as the on-field reporter and soft question asker right after the game? I am serious!
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I was starting to make my own 40 man list, but the question I have (I'm sure the answer is out there in 5-10 minutes of researching, but hey, why not just ask?) is who will actually be eligible to be in the Rule 5 draft?

Some of the names I saw that should be protected, I don't think have to be yet.

Some names that could go, and wouldn't be missed because an exact replication of performance is waiting on a DFA list coming to a city near you:

Brubaker

Cahill

Crowe

De Jong

E. De Los Santos

Howard

M. Keller

K. Keller

Kranick

Mears

Miller

Oviedo

Ponce

Soriano

Underwood

T. Davis

Perez

Newman

Park

Tucker

Evans

Oliva

I know I just chopped off more than half of the 40 man, and 3 guys I'd love them to keep, Tsutsugo/Shreve/Difo, could end up singing elsewhere. I would keep Moran, Kuhl, and Brault.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 40 man heading to ST is 15-25 different names than today.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

good list and post.

I think the team could choose between Banda and Howard for a roster spot.

There are some players that are borderline and may just deserve a non-roster spot with invitation to spring training. The danger is another team may have a roster spot for them.

Cole Tucker could fit in there and perhaps Hoy Park.

Underwood and Crowe are questions for me, I am hoping the Pirates have seen enough that they think both will improve and deserve spots for next year. But I also wouldn't be surprised if one or the other is left off roster too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

634542575E5245535B300 wrote: I was starting to make my own 40 man list, but the question I have (I'm sure the answer is out there in 5-10 minutes of researching, but hey, why not just ask?) is who will actually be eligible to be in the Rule 5 draft?

Some of the names I saw that should be protected, I don't think have to be yet.

Some names that could go, and wouldn't be missed because an exact replication of performance is waiting on a DFA list coming to a city near you:

Brubaker

Cahill

Crowe

De Jong

E. De Los Santos

Howard

M. Keller

K. Keller

Kranick

Mears

Miller

Oviedo

Ponce

Soriano

Underwood

T. Davis

Perez

Newman

Park

Tucker

Evans

Oliva

I know I just chopped off more than half of the 40 man, and 3 guys I'd love them to keep, Tsutsugo/Shreve/Difo, could end up singing elsewhere. I would keep Moran, Kuhl, and Brault.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the 40 man heading to ST is 15-25 different names than today.
I fully expect that to be the case. This year most of the legit prospects were in AA and A. Most of the players brought up from AAA are placeholders who wouldn't be missed. They have a lot of prospects who need to be added to the 40 to protect them from the rule 5 draft and there are probably more than half who are currently on the 40 who wouldn't be missed.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

6D46515E270 wrote: Good post to start the conversation.

I've always liked Gamel. Would like to see him stay.

I'd move Moran regardless whether Yoshi resigns, and throw a few bucks on a 2 year deal to someone like CJ Cron to hold down 1st until Martin is ready. I'd let Tucker go.

Howard, Underwood, Kranick, Brault, Mears, and Kuhl could all move on and I don't think they would be missed, but I would hang on to Peters and Shreve. Peters could alway go to the pen and give you a lefty to help balance the relief staff.
I agree wither the other posters- excellent thread

I really like Gamel- plays hard and produces. Complements Reynolds in Center

I agree with you on who should go- especially Kranick and Kuhl. Kuhl isn't happy and seems to have a bad attitude. They seem to be playing Tucker a lot more lately in order to make their decision.Teams don't like to give up their #1 pick for obvious reasons. If Moran goes, would like Yoshi to play 1st. I guess the other outfielder would be Alford foe now
shedman

Post by shedman »

Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

514A47464F434C220 wrote: Why not package 2 or 3 of those suspects and trade for 1 major league ball player?
That's possible but you can't get much of a player in exchange for several guys with little or no value.