Why aren't we scoring runs?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I've complained from spring training this team strikes out too much and doesn't reach base enough for a team with little power.

So how does my argument stack up? These are where the Pirates rank in MLB:

Avg-17th

OBP-12th

SLG-17th

OPS-15th

BB-5th

SO-24th

SB-4th

CS-2nd

SAC-2nd

SF-4th

H-21st

2B-10th

3B-5th

HR-24th

R-21st

So I was correct about power only in terms of HR's, and overall hits. I was wrong about strike outs. So there are a lot of numbers that put them in the middle of the pack overall, and in many areas the top half. Some other stats I was surprised to see how high they were, SAC and SF. They steal a lot of bases. They walk a lot.

So why are they so low in runs scored? The stats MLB site doesn't have is hitting with RISP. I'd really love to know where the Pirates rank. I am pretty sure Brown mentioned their batting average as a team during the Cubs series, but he didn't mention where they rank in MLB, or what the average was for MLB.

I'm willing to bet the Pirates are horrendous, and horrendous meaning not remotely close to the team batting average.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Compelling, Surg.

Even if we can't get the team rankings for RISP BA, there are ways to draw reasonable conclusions.

If we see the individual players' differences between BARISP and BANoRISP, we can see how we're doing and not focus on how we rank in it.

The bigger factor may or may not be- is- how do we do based on their spots in the lineups?

Our bottom-of-the-order guys probably don't see as many opportunities just because of fewer At Bats.  But, our guys in the middle-of-the-order probably do.  So, it's not just a BA thing; it's a "Number" thing.

A .300 BA with 25 chances will generate more runs than a .350 BA with only 10 chances. 

And, the other is- how many teammates were on second and third. A .300 hitter with a guy on second won't do as much damage as a .250 hitter with a guy on second and third.

I hope that you can find what you're searching for.  Would be interesting to know.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

566374747F4674747F7874110 wrote: Compelling, Surg.

Even if we can't get the team rankings for RISP BA, there are ways to draw reasonable conclusions.

If we see the individual players' differences between BARISP and BANoRISP, we can see how we're doing and not focus on how we rank in it.

The bigger factor may or may not be- is- how do we do based on their spots in the lineups?

Our bottom-of-the-order guys probably don't see as many opportunities just because of fewer At Bats.  But, our guys in the middle-of-the-order probably do.  So, it's not just a BA thing; it's a "Number" thing.

A .300 BA with 25 chances will generate more runs than a .350 BA with only 10 chances. 

I hope that you can find what you're searching for.  Would be interesting to know.
What I did find is what I perceived from spring training about the team hitting overall wasn't what I expected. I know they draw a lot of walks. I was surprised to see they weren't in the top ten in K's, it seems as if they strike out 10 or more times a game. About the only thing I was correct on was HR's.

Maybe it's a psychological thing connecting anything that resembles the last three seasons as being just as bad as those seasons. They're scoring is up considerably from last season, something like 0.7 runs more a game. But they're still in the bottom 10 in runs.

I found some stats on LOB and RISP LOB, both were per game averages. But those numbers aren't a true story teller, because the better offensive teams will generally have worse numbers in those areas, simply because they generate more base runners. The Pirates were in the middle of the pack in those areas too.

So I'm bound and determined to find the boogeyman. Of course, going with what you were saying, lengthening the lineup would help considerably.

I honestly think, from an offensive standpoint, the effect of not having Cruz all season is showing now how much his absence is hurting the team.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Surg,

Am I missing it? Do you have how we rank in plain, old, regular RBI totals?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Here's team stats for RISP. Pirates are around the middle of the pack for BA with RISP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tool ... at%7CAB%7C
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

75535441484453454D260 wrote: Compelling, Surg.

What I did find is what I perceived from spring training about the team hitting overall wasn't what I expected. I know they draw a lot of walks. I was surprised to see they weren't in the top ten in K's, it seems as if they strike out 10 or more times a game. About the only thing I was correct on was HR's.

Maybe it's a psychological thing connecting anything that resembles the last three seasons as being just as bad as those seasons. They're scoring is up considerably from last season, something like 0.7 runs more a game. But they're still in the bottom 10 in runs.

I found some stats on LOB and RISP LOB, both were per game averages. But those numbers aren't a true story teller, because the better offensive teams will generally have worse numbers in those areas, simply because they generate more base runners.  The Pirates were in the middle of the pack in those areas too.

So I'm bound and determined to find the boogeyman. Of course, going with what you were saying, lengthening the lineup would help considerably.

I honestly think, from an offensive standpoint, the effect of not having Cruz all season is showing now how much his absence is hurting the team.

Sure, missing Cruz has had to had its effect.

But, you and I were both correct in that we expected Andrew to have at the bare minimum, an acceptable year. He's done that and then some.

Not sure how well Santana is doing compared to expectations, but this part leads to another idea:

Maybe go around the diamond- Last Season to Today. Surely, there are differences that indicate where we've made the most improvement, and maybe if there are areas where we've had less improvement.

I know that some opponents (the Cardinals) have faltered. We've taken advantage of that and other opportunities.

Run Generation could be an area where we want to do better. If guys don't hit well with RISP, then we need to find other ways to score. Hit solo homers or with guys on first. Hit doubles with guys on first. Things like that. Whatever it takes.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

654845545342551516270 wrote: Here's team stats for RISP. Pirates are around the middle of the pack for BA with RISP.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/tool ... at%7CAB%7C

13th isn't terrible.  It's not bad. 

Is the bigger issue something tough like baserunning stats that prevent us from generating runs?  Or, is it just because we don't have enough guys on second and third in the first place? Just asking.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

RISP with two outs is one thing.

RISP with 0 or one out? Tough to take.

So many questions....so few answers...

Even fewer suggestions.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

IDK why they aren't scoring runs, but just an observation...Castro can't seem to hit righties. So, he sits against them, usually in place of Palacios. Perhaps Palacios is a better bat against RHPs than Castro. Perhaps not. But...

Suwinski is a better right fielder than Palacios. Bae is an excellent center fielder and better than Suwinski. Castro is better than Bae at second base. By playing Castro over Palacios, you strengthen three positions defensively, while MAYBE being marginally worse offensively.

It's so frustrating being a Pirates fan...we NEVER seem to put our best team on the field. Somebody is always resting, or injured, or in the minors waiting to get called up, or platooning. Why can't we just put the ten best on the field?

Personally, I'd rather go with the old Sunday lineup, play ALL the backups on the same day, punt a game, and then put your best foot forward the other six days of the week.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

When one of them makes Mario Mendoza look like Pete Rose, you need more work to find your ten.