Quintana vs Ross

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Quintana vs Ross

Post by Quail »

Reports from various sources are stating that the Pirates have been pursuing a trade for Jose Quintana and have had talks regarding the of signing free agent Tyson Ross. There has been much discussion here about the number and identity of assets that would potentially be required to make a deal for Quintana. Regardless of who your most treasured Pirate prospect might be everyone understands that getting a deal done with the White Sox will not be painless. The Pirate will lose some good young talent in order to bring in Quintana.

While Quintana is a terrific pitcher who has been incredibly consistent Tyson Ross offers an upside talent that is close to Quintana. Of course Ross is coming off of surgery and a season lost to injury. That is a concern. However, taking a chance on acquiring Ross doesn't involve the risk of giving up any of our top prospects like getting Quintana will.

So my question is this: If these are the only two choices would you prefer that the Pirates make a deal for Quintana or sign Ross? Does Ross give the Pirates a comparable top of the rotation boost like Quintana? Can/should they try to sign Ross to a multi-year deal? Personally I would much prefer Quintana for his contract control and consistency but giving up those prospects will be a hard pill to swallow.

What do you think?
rucker59@gmail.com

Quintana vs Ross

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

First I should say that I'm very happy that Neal is clearly trying to make this a substantially better team.

second, we can be sure the White Sox is trying to use the pressure Neal is under to clean house with Pirates prospects. So having Ross available is huge for Neal in negotiation with the Sox.

Regarding your Q. Wow this is really tough to decide because I'd also love to keep all prospects. Nevertheless, if Neal can work a fair deal with the Sox I'd rather have Q. But I would definitely take Ross if the Sox demand was in any way weighted to favor the Sox.
DemDog

Quintana vs Ross

Post by DemDog »

Oh, Pizza all the way even though I have problems with the tomato sauce due to high potassium levels. But I can break off my diet every 5th day with at least a slice of pizza! ;D
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Quintana vs Ross

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

15343C153E36510 wrote: Oh, Pizza all the way even though I have problems with the tomato sauce due to high potassium levels.  But I can break off my diet every 5th day with at least a slice of pizza!   ;D

Ross or Quintana would go every 5th day too.
SammyKhalifa

Quintana vs Ross

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4F444C4045445F1A1C6B524A4344440548442B0 wrote: Oh, Pizza all the way even though I have problems with the tomato sauce due to high potassium levels.  But I can break off my diet every 5th day with at least a slice of pizza!   ;D

Ross or Quintana would go every 5th day too.

Yeah but pizza's delicious.
Quail

Quintana vs Ross

Post by Quail »

63424A634840270 wrote: Oh, Pizza all the way even though I have problems with the tomato sauce due to high potassium levels.  But I can break off my diet every 5th day with at least a slice of pizza!   ;D

Not a problem Possum! I'd gladly come out of retirement as a pharmacist every 5th day to sprinkle a little Kayexalate on your pizza to counterbalance that potassium for ya! :D
fjk090852-7

Quintana vs Ross

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I would like Quintana since he is a lefty, but I don't want the Bucs to overpay with prospects to acquire him. I posted earlier I would seriously think about giving up Glasnow and Meadows/Newman. I don't want to lose Josh Bell in the deal. Another pitcher who is still unsigned is Cahill who can fill out the rotation. Again he is a righty and I think the Bucs would rather add a lefty to the rotation.
Roberto218

Quintana vs Ross

Post by Roberto218 »

I would sign Ross if the price is reasonable. The cost for Quintana is very high.
BucsFaninGA

Quintana vs Ross

Post by BucsFaninGA »

I would sign Ross! Trading Glasnow, Meadows and another hitting prospect is something I would not do. If ChiSox would take Glasnow, Frazier and the young catcher at Triple AAA, I would do the deal for Quintanta. :D
Ecbucs

Quintana vs Ross

Post by Ecbucs »

1D2A3C2C193E313631181E5F0 wrote: I would sign Ross! Trading Glasnow, Meadows and another hitting prospect is something I would not do. If ChiSox would take Glasnow, Frazier and the young catcher at Triple AAA, I would do the deal for Quintanta. :D

according to MLTrade Rumors Ross is looking for around 10 million a year now. I could see that if he is shown to be healthy. Not sure the Bucs would do that and supposedly a lot of teams are waiting on him.

I don't know if the Bucs can risk signing Ross. Hopefully he would be interested in playing for Bucs ahead of some other teams so if money is close he could choose Bucs (and if he pitches at the top of his game he would make the Bucs a contender on paper at least).